Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #226
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
HAC, Heinlein Asimov and Clarke, that's usually how it goes with SF hounds!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #227
jrlewis
SF/F Author
jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jrlewis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Adobe Digital Editions
Charlie Stross
jrlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #228
rschauer
Enthusiast
rschauer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Whew...this thread itself was a read! Thanks to everyone for the great recommendations.

Probably not too important anymore, but I noticed Poul Anderson's Tau Zero was mentioned a while back, with the statement that it wasn't available as an e-book. That was quickly corrected, as Baen has it under a different name, apparently. For the record, it is also now on Amazon under the original name, and for a downright decent price. Some of his other books, I see, are there for a similar price (less than $6).

http://www.amazon.com/Tau-Zero-ebook...9191533&sr=1-1
rschauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #229
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
If you wish all recommendations to be in one place, look this up http://www.listology.com/list/david-...fiction-novels You simply can't go wrong!!!
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #230
PhilK
PhilK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PhilK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PhilK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PhilK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PhilK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PhilK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PhilK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PhilK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PhilK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PhilK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PhilK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
There's an irony in there somewhere, wityh your name n all
Sorry for taking so long to respond....yes indeedy. Irony galore, hope you don't add his surname as an insult on the end of MY name ! Me name's genuine too !
Always loved Larry Niven. And the best of Niven's co-writers, Jerry Pournelle is great if you like militaristic sci-fi too. Poul Anderson is fantastic if you like Time travel stories and he's contibuted by stories linked into both Niven and Pournelles worlds (worth reading the Man-Kzin Wars series)
Read plenty of others and while they may write a fantastic one-off they aren't consistent enough to warrant mention in my own humble view !

Last edited by PhilK; 11-22-2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: .
PhilK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #231
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by susaz View Post
If you wish all recommendations to be in one place, look this up http://www.listology.com/list/david-...fiction-novels You simply can't go wrong!!!
Well, that's one person's take on it certainly.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #232
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschauer View Post
Whew...this thread itself was a read! Thanks to everyone for the great recommendations.

Probably not too important anymore, but I noticed Poul Anderson's Tau Zero was mentioned a while back, with the statement that it wasn't available as an e-book. That was quickly corrected, as Baen has it under a different name, apparently. For the record, it is also now on Amazon under the original name, and for a downright decent price. Some of his other books, I see, are there for a similar price (less than $6).

http://www.amazon.com/Tau-Zero-ebook...9191533&sr=1-1
We Try.

Had to go back and re-read it myself....I see an early summary of the recommendations here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=90

Last edited by kennyc; 11-23-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #233
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Unhappy No more Arthur C Clarke in ePub from Rosetta Books

Arthur C Clarke has been my favorite SciFi author since long before 2001 The Movie.

I was very much looking forward to buying the entire 32 volume collection put out by Rosetta Books by using the B&N Christmas gift cards I receive each year from my grown children. Unfortunately, when I looked at my Wish List a few weeks ago I discovered that all of the A C Clarke books were showing a status of: "A new copy is not available from Barnes & Noble.com at this time."

I Immediately contacted B&N via email and received a reply that told me to send a list of the books I was concerned about. I did and haven't heard from them since. I also contacted Rosetta Books at the time and received no reply at all.

Last night I sent a second round of queries and received a reply from Maxine Schweitzer, VP, Finance at Rosetta Books today. She advised that "(u)nfortunately, the Arthur C. Clarke titles are currently a Kindle exclusive and not available through any other e-tailers. " I guess that means their agreement with B&N has been cancelled and they are no longer offering the books in ePub format.

I just can't say how disappointed I am with this without getting thrown off MobileRead! It seems like the works of many of my favorite authors from the 1950's through 1970's are being locked up by Amazon. I'd love to have Arthur C Clarke's books on my reader when I travel, but I refuse to be forced into buying a Kindle or a backlit tablet and I don't know enough about the Kindle ecology to be comfortable with the process for freeing the books using Apprentice Alf-enhanced Calibre.
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #234
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Once you educate yourself about the process, freeing the books is a piece of cake. You are then free to use the reader of your choice.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #235
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by frquixote View Post
Arthur C Clarke has been my favorite SciFi author since long before 2001 The Movie.

I was very much looking forward to buying the entire 32 volume collection put out by Rosetta Books by using the B&N Christmas gift cards I receive each year from my grown children. Unfortunately, when I looked at my Wish List a few weeks ago I discovered that all of the A C Clarke books were showing a status of: "A new copy is not available from Barnes & Noble.com at this time."

I Immediately contacted B&N via email and received a reply that told me to send a list of the books I was concerned about. I did and haven't heard from them since. I also contacted Rosetta Books at the time and received no reply at all.

Last night I sent a second round of queries and received a reply from Maxine Schweitzer, VP, Finance at Rosetta Books today. She advised that "(u)nfortunately, the Arthur C. Clarke titles are currently a Kindle exclusive and not available through any other e-tailers. " I guess that means their agreement with B&N has been cancelled and they are no longer offering the books in ePub format.

I just can't say how disappointed I am with this without getting thrown off MobileRead! It seems like the works of many of my favorite authors from the 1950's through 1970's are being locked up by Amazon. I'd love to have Arthur C Clarke's books on my reader when I travel, but I refuse to be forced into buying a Kindle or a backlit tablet and I don't know enough about the Kindle ecology to be comfortable with the process for freeing the books using Apprentice Alf-enhanced Calibre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Once you educate yourself about the process, freeing the books is a piece of cake. You are then free to use the reader of your choice.
This is so true. Set your self free and visit Apprentice Alf. Think of yourself as Luke Skywalker visiting Yoda.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #236
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Yep. Apprentice Alf and Calibre are very good for making books readable on the e-reader of your choice. And you don't need to buy a Kindle to have access to Kindle books, just download the Kindle reading app.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #237
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
This is so true. Set your self free and visit Apprentice Alf. Think of yourself as Luke Skywalker visiting Yoda.
Apache
<music>Yoda Yoda Yodel le he hoo</music>

Last edited by kennyc; 11-24-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #238
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Yep. Apprentice Alf and Calibre are very good for making books readable on the e-reader of your choice.
I can safely say that since Apprentice Alf's tools exist Amazon has sold me many books that I would have bought elsewhere if the tools didn't exist.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote