Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
crt
Enthusiast
crt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kindle keyboard, PocketBook Pro 912 (black), T62D with Gonyx
fbreader seems to freeze on my PB912

I have a PB 912 with the latest firmware.
When I open an EPUB of ~6Mb, it shows the hourglass symbol, but does not get past this point (I waited for ~2 minutes before giving up). I press the back button to kill the process. If I use Adobe Viewer instead, it takes just a few seconds to load the first page. The same occurs on my Duokan-based Kindle keyboard.
The problem with Adobe viewer, though is that if I select the zoom icon, it does not show the expected window with the possible zooms, but it seems to increase the zoom in. If this operation is repeated, it zooms in further. This finally leads to go through all possible options until it rotates to the original zoom mode.
The actual EPUB is the first in the series of Will Durant's 'Story of Civilization', which is on the public domain I believe, and if requested I can post over here.
The situation above forced me to select Adobe Viewer as the default for EPUB files. Any solution? Or is there a third EPUB reader which is better?
Also, is it possible to jump on hyperlinks without using the pen? I see no cursor as in Duokan for the Kindle.

Last edited by crt; 04-20-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: one more question
crt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
- You are not forced to select Adobe Viewer as the default for epub files if you not wish to. You can keep FBReader as your default reader and open this special book with the Adobe Viewer (click on the open book key, just above the page turner on the right side and select "Open with").
- You can try CoolReader. It offers many ways for customisation too. Have a look into Paola's thread that is a sticky at the top of this subforum.
- What happens when you click the down key from the 4-way-wheel? Does it bring you to jump from link to link?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
crt
Enthusiast
crt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of lightcrt is a glorious beacon of light

1. I know I can press the round button for some time to get an option among other readers; but I prefer to set the all-working reader as the default
2. Thanks. I will give it a try
3. I tried that; nothing visible appears on the display of my 912.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by crt View Post
1. I know I can press the round button for some time to get an option among other readers; but I prefer to set the all-working reader as the default
Sorry, I didn't want to sound edifying, it was the word "forced" that mislead me.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
crt
Enthusiast

You should not apologize; you were being helpful. I have to do so, if I made you feel badly.
Regards!

Just tried CoolReader 3. Unless I have made a mistake, it takes about 1 minute to load it at the first time (about 10'' at subsequent loads). The size of the book however, appears on the display as if it were 6'' instead of 9.7''. The text, however, covers the whole display.

When I press the round button continuously it exits the application; a simple push displays a little window with a graphical menu. When I select the little 'opened book' icon on the bottom left (with the header 'Settings' appearing), and either use the pen to click on it, or press the round button, the application exits back in the list of books in the library!

Last edited by crt; 04-21-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
The size of the book however, appears on the display as if it were 6'' instead of 9.7''. The text, however, covers the whole display.
What is "size of the book"?
Quote:
When I press the round button continuously it exits the application;
What action did you expect?
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
crt
Enthusiast

Images in the epub file, appear one at a time when I use the Adobe reader, since each one is supposed to belong to a different page. When I use CoolReader, the 9.7''display presents more than one in a single 'page'. The e-book is the free e-book of "Our Oriental Heritage" by Will Durant (Vol. 1 in the Story of Civilization, roughly 8 Mbytes).

I merely reported what I experienced, since I did not find a manual for PB 912. I was looking for something like a zoom in/out menu. 'Settings' exits the application instead of providing me with a way to change whatever settings are available. This may appear due to a bad installation by me, or because it does not work on PB912. I wrote this, so that I can get someone to verify whether 'Settings' allows modification or not on the PB912.

Regards.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
pkbo
Addict
pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pkbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It works on PB912 although touch is not fully supported. I believe 'Settings' exits the application because of wrong menu image.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Note: for the correct menu image file copy the appropiate attached file in the "skin" subfolder (under "system/bin/share/cr3"). The .zip file attached contains several versions in other languages - the file name begins with the device type for which it works, so when after copying the image file rename it "cr3_pb_quickmenu.png" (thanks to J.C. and apos).
This is from Paola's thread

PS: I'm not sure if you will be able to get same look as in the Adobe reader.
pkbo is offline   Reply With Quote