Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
luthier58
luthier58 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
reader doesn't see SD card

Hi all,
A friend bought a PRS-600 (largely on my recommendation) and it won't recognize the SD card. We can access, read and write to the card in both Reader Library and Calibre, but can't access anything on the card when using the reader itself. Have tried reformatting the card, no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
luthier58
luthier58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
luthier58
luthier58 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 300
Figured it out - he had formatted the card in Windows, using NTFS; the reader wants to see FAT or FAT32. Good thing to keep in mind if you want to use older cards you've used for something else before.
luthier58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
FAT32 highly preferred, by the way; the file number limitation on FAT16 leads to a lot of confused people when they have plenty of empty space but can't add any more books.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
HazeyJane
HazeyJane began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Hello, I'm new and have the same problem.

I bought a 16gb SD card, as the manual stated this size was supported, just to put music on. I loaded about 4gb worth of music on it, but the reader just did the "opening book" and constantly restarting thing.

I've tried formatting it so it's definitely got the FAT32 system, but still no luck. I've tried adding the files to the disc once it's in the reader and connected to the PC.
The only time I can get it to work is if there is only about 2 albums' worth of music on the card, any more than that and the reader won't start up.

The firmware on my reader is 1.0.02.13180 which I assume is a later version than the one of the Sony site, as the reader says it's already updated if I try to put that version on

Has anyone had any luck with this size SD or Pro Duo card?
HazeyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeyJane View Post
Hello, I'm new and have the same problem.

I bought a 16gb SD card, as the manual stated this size was supported, just to put music on. I loaded about 4gb worth of music on it, but the reader just did the "opening book" and constantly restarting thing.

I've tried formatting it so it's definitely got the FAT32 system, but still no luck. I've tried adding the files to the disc once it's in the reader and connected to the PC.
The only time I can get it to work is if there is only about 2 albums' worth of music on the card, any more than that and the reader won't start up.

The firmware on my reader is 1.0.02.13180 which I assume is a later version than the one of the Sony site, as the reader says it's already updated if I try to put that version on

Has anyone had any luck with this size SD or Pro Duo card?
I've never tried to use a card that size in my Sony, but I've heard people say that it takes forever to load if you have a lot of data on the card, books or otherwise. How long did you let it sit on the "opening book" screen? It might take a long time to load, but once it's indexed it should be good to go as long as you just put the Reader in sleep mode and not turn it all the way off.

There aren't any firmware updates for the newer Sonys yet, so don't worry about that.

Also, did you realize that you can't organize mp3 files at all? Even if you have them in album folders on the card, they will just show up as a list of songs in alphabetical order on the Reader. So 4 GB of music arranged like that is going to be very difficult to navigate. It's nice in theory that the Reader plays mp3s but it's cumbersome in reality.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
HazeyJane
HazeyJane began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600
Thanks for the replies guys. I decided to not even bother trying to fix this, seeing as you can't organise music and I can't be bothered to make album into one big long mp3.
HazeyJane is offline   Reply With Quote