Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-06-2015, 10:47 AM   #1141
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle keyboard,kindle touch,PB touch lux
I have a mobi format dictionary, can you help to convert to Kobo format?

thanks.
sbwtxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #1142
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Does Kindle Unpack support azw6 files? I tried to unpack it but it didn't work. I got error message.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #1143
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
No. azw6 files are not ebooks. They are just a container for high res images.

I do have an experimental python script to try and dump these images but have found that some contain Windows only image media-types instead of jpegs which makes them pretty worthless unless you have access to a Windows machine and are willing to convert them one by one to something useable.
Let me know if you want me to post the experimental command line python script.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
Does Kindle Unpack support azw6 files? I tried to unpack it but it didn't work. I got error message.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:02 AM   #1144
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hi,

No. KindleUnpack does understand a subset of mobi dictionary formats and can unpack some of them to html. I have no idea what a Kobo dictionary format looks like so you are on your own converting from html to that format.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwtxj View Post
I have a mobi format dictionary, can you help to convert to Kobo format?

thanks.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #1145
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Rough Script to dump High Res images from AZW6

Hi All,

Just in case there was any interest in seeing/using the images in AZW6 files, I have attached a quick and dirty python command line program to unpack the contents of an non-drm azw6 file to a folder of images. I have added no smarts for using full unicode at the command line in python 2, so be careful to change paths/filenames to be pure ascii if running under python 2.

Hope this helps,

KevinH
Attached Files
File Type: zip DumpAZW6_v01.py.zip (4.4 KB, 2483 views)

Last edited by KevinH; 06-08-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Advert
Old 06-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #1146
kyzcreig
Enthusiast
kyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: kindle paperwhite
Question, I want to use Amazon's "location" information to extract text from a mobi. Can these scripts help with that?

To get more specific, "location" supposedly corresponds to 128 byte chunks of data and my plan is to just grab the chunks that went missing from my annotations due to DRM. But maybe I will be messing up some metadata with this approach? Otherwise can these scripts help me decode the location chunks?

Thanks !
kyzcreig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:41 AM   #1147
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzcreig View Post
Question, I want to use Amazon's "location" information to extract text from a mobi. Can these scripts help with that?

To get more specific, "location" supposedly corresponds to 128 byte chunks of data and my plan is to just grab the chunks that went missing from my annotations due to DRM. But maybe I will be messing up some metadata with this approach? Otherwise can these scripts help me decode the location chunks?

Thanks !
Turn on the option to output raw MobiML, so that changes to generate valid HTML don't mess up the file position info you're trying to use.

Good luck.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #1148
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Not to be pushy, Applescript Master The Grand Mouse pdurrant, but might you consider updating the first post in this thread with the latest KindleUnpack and an updated Applescript?

I am content running the python script if you don't have time, but if so, your Applescripts are so nifty and much appreciated Merci.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:36 AM   #1149
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first post is now updated with version 0.80 of the KindleUnpack code, and I've updated the AppleScript to include that code, and also modified it so that it works correctly on Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite).
Old 06-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #1150
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Thank you muchly kind sir! You and all the other programmer/developers here at MobileRead totally ROCK!
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #1151
kyzcreig
Enthusiast
kyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterkyzcreig can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Turn on the option to output raw MobiML, so that changes to generate valid HTML don't mess up the file position info you're trying to use.

Good luck.
So I've been working on a script for this and I'm finding the offsets are all off. It doesn't appear to be a constant offset so my guess is that this raw HTML somehow doesn't correspond to the location data. Is that likely to happen?
Old 06-22-2015, 04:26 AM   #1152
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzcreig View Post
So I've been working on a script for this and I'm finding the offsets are all off. It doesn't appear to be a constant offset so my guess is that this raw HTML somehow doesn't correspond to the location data. Is that likely to happen?
No idea. Are you certain you're looking at the RAWML, before it's processed to change links to proper HTML?

Or perhaps locations are calculated off some derivation of the RAWML. Or you're looking at different versions of the book. (Some devices will receive the KF8 version (if available) and some will receive the MOBI version.)

I suspect you'll need to dig into the details of formats and how they're interpreted to be able to make sense of this. And even then, Amazon locations may have some other fiddle-factor applied to them. Perhaps they only relate to visible displayed characters or something?
Old 06-22-2015, 05:49 AM   #1153
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I believe a location is 150 bytes of data (markup and all) instead of 128. I can't remember if that's compressed or uncompressed, but the total number of locations in a book is bytes/150+1. Perhaps that's why your offsets seem "off."

The 128 bytes is an ADE "page."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #1154
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The details on Kindle pagenumber offsets should be in calibre's Kindle device driver code.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:51 AM   #1155
kyzcreig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I believe a location is 150 bytes of data (markup and all) instead of 128. I can't remember if that's compressed or uncompressed, but the total number of locations in a book is bytes/150+1. Perhaps that's why your offsets seem "off."

The 128 bytes is an ADE "page."
Well I'll be. This did the trick. Now the main obstacle is how I parse this jumble of HTML. It seems like some tags are cut off so I'll need a solution for that as well. So far this is turning out very nicely though!