Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #46
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Weird, I don't have any problems with mobipocket at all... I could install MS Reader without problems also, but I just can't get ereader working. I can install it but when I try to run it it, it says "ereader is not a valid Windows CE application"...
Hi Sweetpea - Mobipocket does install and works quite well (in fact it has become my default reader on the JE100 and I just convert other formats to .mobi now using Calibre).

However, the problem that I have with Mobipocket is trying to map the buttons. If I want to change the orientation of the device, I would like to re-map the up-down/forward-backward/next-prev commands into different buttons. However, when I tried doing that in Mobipocket, it does not seem to work.

Have you been able to remap specific commands to one of the "up/down" buttons ?

The default behavior of the up/down button works well enough that this is not too big of an issue, but I still wish I could rotate the device 180 degrees so the case folds on the other side.

Not a biggy though
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
Hi Sweetpea - Mobipocket does install and works quite well (in fact it has become my default reader on the JE100 and I just convert other formats to .mobi now using Calibre).

However, the problem that I have with Mobipocket is trying to map the buttons. If I want to change the orientation of the device, I would like to re-map the up-down/forward-backward/next-prev commands into different buttons. However, when I tried doing that in Mobipocket, it does not seem to work.

Have you been able to remap specific commands to one of the "up/down" buttons ?

The default behavior of the up/down button works well enough that this is not too big of an issue, but I still wish I could rotate the device 180 degrees so the case folds on the other side.

Not a biggy though
Ahhh, like that! I just remove it from the case if it's in the way I didn't even know you could map buttons (and I've been using it ever since I got my first reader )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #48
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Weird, I don't have any problems with mobipocket at all... I could install MS Reader without problems also, but I just can't get ereader working. I can install it but when I try to run it it, it says "ereader is not a valid Windows CE application"...
Sweetpea,

Take a look at this thread over at the SmartQmid Forum. I used this to get ereader install: http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/view...=ereader#p1065

There is also a link to download the software too.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:55 PM   #49
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's, that works!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #50
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's, that works!
That's great that it works for you. The only thing with mine is that the bottom menu doesn't show the lettering for the first two menu items, but I know what area to to touch. Once tapped I can see the menu choices ok. I have thought about a reinstall, but it is such a minor thing, and so I decided to leave well enough alone.

Ellen
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #51
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Yep, the same here...
Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #52
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
That's great that it works for you. The only thing with mine is that the bottom menu doesn't show the lettering for the first two menu items, but I know what area to to touch. Once tapped I can see the menu choices ok. I have thought about a reinstall, but it is such a minor thing, and so I decided to leave well enough alone.

Ellen
Ellen, Sweetpea - I believe the partial menu issue is a known one, and can be fixed easily if you replace a DLL in your windows area.

See this thread for more info. I had the same issue and was easily able to fix it.

http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/view...php?f=17&t=238
Old 12-01-2009, 09:09 AM   #53
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
The JE100 would be perfect if only it had a some more memory. I really like every thing else about it. Does any one know if there are plans to upgrade the device with additional RAM?
If it possible to upgrade it yourself?
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #54
imaredr
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
Ellen, Sweetpea - I believe the partial menu issue is a known one, and can be fixed easily if you replace a DLL in your windows area.

See this thread for more info. I had the same issue and was easily able to fix it.

http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/view...php?f=17&t=238
Thanks Rana! I don't why I missed that since I used those DLLs for my Q7.

Ellen
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #55
Smiling
Smiling began at the beginning.

Device: Join Tech JE100
Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me. I have recently purchased the JE100, and on the whole its good, a little flaky, but once I've got the beast synching with my laptop, it's pretty neat.

The problem I have is that when in eBook mode, I go into eBook folder, I have the following folders displayed:

PRC
Mobi
MBP
CHM

Yet when I go into them, I cannot see any files, despite the fact that I can see them in Windows mode, using a mobile reader installed there. Is there any way to get them viewable in the eBook mode (rather than windows mode)?

Cheers,

Smiling
Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #56
rana
Gadget Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling View Post
Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me. I have recently purchased the JE100, and on the whole its good, a little flaky, but once I've got the beast synching with my laptop, it's pretty neat.

The problem I have is that when in eBook mode, I go into eBook folder, I have the following folders displayed:

PRC
Mobi
MBP
CHM

Yet when I go into them, I cannot see any files, despite the fact that I can see them in Windows mode, using a mobile reader installed there. Is there any way to get them viewable in the eBook mode (rather than windows mode)?

Cheers,

Smiling
Which e-book reader program are you using ? Is it the built in one ?

The built in e-book reader in the JE100 is very limited; it supports (I believe) only text and (maybe) PDF formats. This is pretty ironic considering that this device is sold as a an ebook reader.

Fortunately though, once you switch the device to computer mode, you can install a whole bunch of additional e-book readers programs that will handle nearly all formats out there. I currently have Mobipocket, MS Reader, AlReader2, ZuluReader and a few others installed.

I am still looking for a good epub reader for WinCE 5.0 (ZuluReader doesn't quite cut it), but between Mobipocket and MS Reader - I am all set for now. Of course, Calibre plays a big part by allowing me to convert my books to one of the acceptable formats.

Hope this helps !
Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #57
Smiling

Hey Rana,

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am using the built in version in the JE100, which is very limited indeed. Hopefully Join Tech can provide an update which can enable reading of more formats in the eBook mode, rather than the windows mode.

In windows mode, I have downloaded Mobipocket and eReader Pro. Couldn't get MS Reader to install and haven't tried the others. I am new to the eBook world, and I'm trying to get the device up and running for wife for Xmas.

I am struggling to get MS Reader installed, and one of the links above directed me to another forum and I installed (what I thought was MS Reader) but it was eReader Pro (and a demo version at that). Any suggestions on getting MS Reader installed?

I'll look into Calibre, sounds like a handy tool.

Cheers,

TJ
Old 12-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #58
rana
Gadget Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling View Post
Any suggestions on getting MS Reader installed?
Getting MS Reader to install was indeed a bit of pain ... but what finally worked for me was copying the existing MS Reader installation from another PDA (my trusty old Dell Axim X50v, running Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition). Copying the entire msreader directory seems to work fine. The only problem is that I don't see the 'X' on the top right corner to close it, so I have to use task manager to kill it when I need to exit. Usually this isn't a problem since I keep MS Reader running and just put the JE100 to sleep when I am done reading ... and only kill MS Reader when I am done with the book.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:28 AM   #59
Smiling

hmmm.... unfortunately I dont have another PDA to copy a directory from. Any way you could copy and upload the directory to an ftp?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

TJ
Old 12-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #60
rana
Gadget Freak

Wink

SPAMMER QUOTE DELETED

jakeson - no offense, but it looks like you are spamming for <the spammer's website ... which I would rather not re-advertise >. Is this your website ? You have 9 posts so far, ALL of them promoting this website.

And honestly -- the website looks like it was created by a 5 year old

Last edited by rana; 12-11-2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: removed spammer's website name