Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
tabbycat
tabbycat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Cool Newbie with a few questions...

I LOVE my new Sony Reader and so appreciate this forum with such wonderful information. I have yet to embark on learning about format conversions, etc. and wonder if someone might be able to give me a fairly simple answer to a few questions I have:

1. There are several titles I would like to purchase that are not available on Sony's book website. They are fiction and non fiction fairly new books. Any suggestions on where I might find them and how to download them (ie: what format??) I wish I had access to amazon as they have everything!!!

2. I live in a rural community which has yet to add e-books to their library system. I've read that I can join a library as an out of town member for a fee, but have found that I have to actually go to the library to join. Anyone familiar with a library where I wouldn't have to actually go in person? I'm Canadian....

3. Yesterday I added some new titles to my reader (after receiving my gift certificate from sony for $25 US). When I was finished loading, I pressed the little eject symbol that appeared beside the reader in the sony software but my reader still said "do not disconnect". Should I be doing something else before disconnecting? I didn't see an icon at the bottom of my screen to safely remove it...

Thank you again for the information on this site - it really helped me in making a great decision to buy the Sony PRS-505.
tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Check out the Wiki here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries for information on the various eBook lending libraries
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
And as for disconnecting, just close the library software and the Do not Disconnect will come off the 505. It'll still show it is connected via USB, but it is safe to remove.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Which province are you from?

Hi tabbycat, and from Vancouver, welcome to MobileRead.

As you mentioned, you usually have to physically go to a library to get an actual card and number before you can borrow online.

I have two library cards, from two different local libraries so I am lucky.

Since I live in BC, I can only suggest the British Columbia libraries that lend eBooks, all from the following province wide site:

http://bcpl.lib.overdrive.com/B45914.../Libraries.htm

Not much help, I'm afraid, if you don't live in BC or near one of these libraries.

If you tell me which province you are from I'll try and search out the closest eBook lending library to you, and also look for any eBook lending libraries in Canada that will accept new applications online (if there are any).

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
tabbycat
tabbycat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank you for the list of libraries and info on disconnecting.

I've found that my Mom's local library does offer e-books. She also has a Sony Reader so I'm now wondering (sorry for so many questions) if I can setup an Adobe Digital Editions Account that we can both use and if I'll then be able to share the library books she takes out from her library? That, or my other thought was just to use her card to be able to borrow my own e-books. I'm interested in knowing how we might be able to share the membership and save on buying books! Would that work??
tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Multiple computers with one ADE Account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbycat View Post
Thank you for the list of libraries and info on disconnecting.

I've found that my Mom's local library does offer e-books. She also has a Sony Reader so I'm now wondering (sorry for so many questions) if I can setup an Adobe Digital Editions Account that we can both use and if I'll then be able to share the library books she takes out from her library? That, or my other thought was just to use her card to be able to borrow my own e-books. I'm interested in knowing how we might be able to share the membership and save on buying books! Would that work??
Hi again tabbycat, this is from the help page at Adobe Digital Editions, I hope it will help you, please try and read it and see if you can make any sense out of it.

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/help/

I've copied some relevant information from the Activation and Authorization sub-section on the site to get you started:

Quote:
Transferring items between computers.
If you have authorized your computer, Adobe Digital Editions does not "lock" your eBooks and other digital publications to that computer — they are assigned to you through your Adobe ID. This means that you can transfer library items to up to six computers or supported mobile devices (such as a Sony® Reader).
Before you can transfer items between computers, you must authorize both computers with your Adobe ID.
Note: Bookmarks are not copied when items are transferred to another computer.

To transfer a library item to another authorized computer:
  1. On the computer you're transferring from, locate and open the My Digital Editions folder, located inside the My Documents folder.
  2. Choose the EPUB or PDF files that correspond to the eBook titles you want to transfer.
  3. Copy the selected files to portable media such as a flash drive, or e-mail the files to the target computer.
  4. On the target computer, copy the EPUB or PDF files into the My Documents\My Digital Editions folder.
  5. Open Adobe Digital Editions on the target computer. Choose Library > Add Item, and then navigate to the My Digital Editions folder and select the new files to bring them into the library.
Hope this helps, WDE.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 03-28-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
tabbycat--

You might want to send the New York Public library an e-mail. They offer non-resident library cards which they will mail to you after you send in a fee of $100 US/year. Not sure what their policy is regarding international, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was possible.

By the way--enjoy your reader!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote