Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Cover Image in LRF files

I'm trying to find the cover image in LRF files. I haven't managed to find any really detailed info about the file format on the web.

I have managed to find that in most (version >=800) files there is a tiny thumbnail gif, and I can successfully retrieve this.

But despite having looked through Calibre source, I can't find out where the cover is stored, although one ominous comment implied there wasn't a standard identifier for the cover.

Can anyone help, either directly or by pointing me to a documentation source?

Thanks.

Paul
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
LRF doesn't have a well defined cover. calibre uses some heuristics to guess at a cover. Naturally these heuristics work best with LRF files created by calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 03:33 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Oh Bother!" said Pooh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
LRF doesn't have a well defined cover. calibre uses some heuristics to guess at a cover. Naturally these heuristics work best with LRF files created by calibre
Old 10-05-2008, 04:43 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

note that lrf-meta has a --get-cover switch which you can use to get the guessed cover
Old 10-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I saw the --get-cover switch when looking at Calibre's source, but trying to follow through the code to work out how to do the same in C/C++ is more than my very passing acquaintance with Python is up to in the time I have.

If you've put together some documentation of the LRF format as you've decoded it while working on Calibre, that would be very helpful. Anything similar to the documentation I added to the Mobipocket format wiki entry here:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI

Thanks again.

Quote:
note that lrf-meta has a --get-cover switch which you can use to get the guessed cover
Advert
Old 10-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm afraid I haven't done any documentation. But the LRf format is documented here http://www.sven.de/librie/Librie/LrfFormat

And SONY released the specification of the LRS format (the XML format of which LRF is the binary version).
Old 10-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Thanks again. Looking at what documentation there is again, and following more links to elsewhere I think I've cobbled together something that might work for some books, and shouldn't be worse than what I have at present.

In short, I'm assuming that the object referred to in the last item in the object index table is the cover image if it's a picture subfile.

Paul

Quote:
I'm afraid I haven't done any documentation. But the LRf format is documented here http://www.sven.de/librie/Librie/LrfFormat

And SONY released the specification of the LRS format (the XML format of which LRF is the binary version).