Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Pocketbook pro 602 Vs. Sony t1

Thinking about getting another ereader as a gift. I have a sony 650 that I love.(but they arent cheaply available right now) I was thinking of one of these two for a gift. I know the T1 has had some issues. Is this true as well for the 602? I dont see much talk of it at the Pocketbook forums. But from what I see the device has tons of options. Im not too concerned about the vizplex screen vs pearl. Because to be honest it doesnt make much difference. They always look about the same to me.

So what are people thoughts on these two?

Last edited by Tony1988; 10-26-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyone?
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Can't really help you here. I've had the T1 but not the 602. The T1 is a great reader but I had troubles with it. Did you try asking this at the Pocketbook forum?
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Can't really help you here. I've had the T1 but not the 602. The T1 is a great reader but I had troubles with it. Did you try asking this at the Pocketbook forum?
Not yet. I will go there next. I wanted unbiased opinions first.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Is this true as well for the 602? I dont see much talk of it at the Pocketbook forums.
I do not have PB 602, I have an earlier 5 inch model PB360.
I am not aware of any systematic problems on PB602.

ON PB602 everything is configurable.
You can install fonts, dictionaries, themes, [a few] third-party programs such as coolreader or improved FBReader.

You can configure the GUI of the device (with the above mentioned themes), you can configure even button functions.

The device supports many, many formats: CHM, DJVU, DOC, DOCX, EPUB, FB2, FB2.ZIP, HTML, PDF, PRC (Mobipocket), RTF, TCR, TXT, MOBI
You can use hierarchical directories and also "favorites" (similar to collections but hierarchical)
The device has Text-To-Speech in many languages.

Some supported formats, such as epub can be displayed by several reading programs that are available.

For FBReader - my favourite reading program on PocketBook - you can set fonts, margins, justification, line spacing, space between paragraphs, first line indent and many other formatting things.

For CoolReader you can have css file with overrides for any formatting element for each supported file format separately.

As I said, everything is configurable.
The device does not need to be hacked to configure or install fonts, or third-party programs. Those programs need to be made specifficaly for PocketBook 602, 603, 902, 903.

On the other hand, Sony T1 has Android, so there are many programs automatically available for it when you root it. At the moment there are many programs that do not work yet.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
I have a T1, and I have one complaint: reflowed text PDF page turns are *awfully slow*, so if PDF support is important, think twice before getting a T1. However, I should also say that the EPUB reading experience on my T1 has been great so far. I've never used Pocketbook readers, so I cannot compare.
Now the T1 has been rooted, but I've not done this yet. It's possible this could address the PDF page turn issue, but I don't know that.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I do not have PB 602, I have an earlier 5 inch model PB360.
I am not aware of any systematic problems on PB602.

ON PB602 everything is configurable.
You can install fonts, dictionaries, themes, [a few] third-party programs such as coolreader or improved FBReader.

You can configure the GUI of the device (with the above mentioned themes), you can configure even button functions.

The device supports many, many formats: CHM, DJVU, DOC, DOCX, EPUB, FB2, FB2.ZIP, HTML, PDF, PRC (Mobipocket), RTF, TCR, TXT, MOBI
You can use hierarchical directories and also "favorites" (similar to collections but hierarchical)
The device has Text-To-Speech in many languages.

Some supported formats, such as epub can be displayed by several reading programs that are available.

For FBReader - my favourite reading program on PocketBook - you can set fonts, margins, justification, line spacing, space between paragraphs, first line indent and many other formatting things.

For CoolReader you can have css file with overrides for any formatting element for each supported file format separately.

As I said, everything is configurable.
The device does not need to be hacked to configure or install fonts, or third-party programs. Those programs need to be made specifficaly for PocketBook 602, 603, 902, 903.

On the other hand, Sony T1 has Android, so there are many programs automatically available for it when you root it. At the moment there are many programs that do not work yet.
This all sounds good. I have seen the device ( as well as the 603 which probably wont be here for awhile) it looks like a very solid reader.

I think I may pick one up.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This all sounds good. I have seen the device ( as well as the 603 which probably wont be here for awhile) it looks like a very solid reader.

I think I may pick one up.
There will be 612 model available in a few weeks (do not hold your breath, PB is known for not-always-keeping delivery date promises).
612 has touch but doesn't have 3G (mobile phone data module that is not approved for USA market)
Old 10-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #9
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There will be 612 model available in a few weeks (do not hold your breath, PB is known for not-always-keeping delivery date promises).
612 has touch but doesn't have 3G (mobile phone data module that is not approved for USA market)
Yeah I know about the 612. The touch is for the stylus only, correct?? Otherwise its exactly like the 602?
Old 10-29-2011, 03:43 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Yeah I know about the 612. The touch is for the stylus only, correct?? Otherwise its exactly like the 602?
Yes. That is my understanding.