Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Comscore: Android Grows Marketshare in US 44%

http://www.unwiredview.com/2010/07/0...-oem-position/

Quote:
Android also registers the biggest growth quarter-to-quarter of any of the indicators that MobiLens watches, going up in market share from 9% and the end of February to 13% at the end of May, a whopping 44% gain.

And this is one trend which is guaranteed to continue, especially since more and more Android smartphones are set to be available on all US carriers in the near future.
RIM still has over 40% of the market.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yah, so, ok ... Android grows. Its chief competitors are Blackberry and Apple and both of those are closed systems with huge share. Android, as a class, will dominate relatively soon ... but no single manufacturer will benefit. (This is the world Microsoft envisioned for itself and botched.) Both RIM and Apple will continue to prosper for the foreseeable future because they bring distinctly different benefits to the market.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Yah, so, ok ... Android grows. Its chief competitors are Blackberry and Apple and both of those are closed systems with huge share. Android, as a class, will dominate relatively soon ... but no single manufacturer will benefit. (This is the world Microsoft envisioned for itself and botched.) Both RIM and Apple will continue to prosper for the foreseeable future because they bring distinctly different benefits to the market.
And Kobo will be there on everything... except symbian (R.I.P.)... and I'm not too sure about win mo.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
And Kobo will be there on everything... except symbian (R.I.P.)... and I'm not too sure about win mo.
Is there a review of the Kobo reader for Android? PC? What DRM scheme do they use? Has it been cracked? What about getting outside non-DRM ePub files into it?

Sorry if all of this is redundent, I've been using Mobi DRM, DarkReverser, and Calibre to get everything on my EVO and Asus Touchscreen tablet (Win7) but there isn't a sync feature.

I noticed that Kobo advertises syncing between handheld and PC. If that be the case I may need to switch.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Ha Ha great response.

I'm just hoping the Kobo reader becomes usable, else it doesn't make sense to have support for every platform with no install base.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-09-2010 at 02:17 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Ha Ha great response.

I'm just hoping the Kobo reader becomes usable. It doesn't make sense to have support for every platform with no install base the app is unusable.

=X=
And without the ability to import my existing library, it's not only unusable, it's also useless.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

Sorry if all of this is redundent, I've been using Mobi DRM, DarkReverser, and Calibre to get everything on my EVO and Asus Touchscreen tablet (Win7) but there isn't a sync feature.
What app are you using to read MOBI on the Droid? Does it come close to the Mobipocket apps where one can bookmark, highlight, and annotate on the device?

=X=
Old 07-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate

I don't use Mobi on the EVO, I use ePub in FBReader, hence the Calibre Mobi to ePub conversion. I read Mobi on the Asus T91MT tablet.

That's why I'm interested in the Kobo reader, it says it can sync the two. What little I've played with Kobo on the EVO, it doesn't appear to support importing my existing (non-DRM ePub) library though.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Good to see the growth. In another year the Android OS market should be dominant. The sheer numbers of venders and products point to a positive future for the OS

This contrasted to WebOS which, even with HP now in charge, is going to have a tough time....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #10
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
By virtue of being made by so many manufacturers it is reasonable to see android eventually becoming the largest single mobile os, but no way will it happen in a year, there are plenty of people who like and trust their blackberry and apple products who don't see any reason to switch.

The blogs in particular like to write-off blackberry, but if you want a device that is a better fit for your pocket than most smartphones that does all the communication from voice to im, social networks etc and has a battery that isn't going to run out the same day then a blackberry is tough to beat.

Ironically with the way android has tended to push the specs arms race quite heavily to make up ground, I actually think that some more mainstream devices like the htc wildfire may be the crucial thing for android taking the next step as there is only so many sales at the high end of the market.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
By virtue of being made by so many manufacturers it is reasonable to see android eventually becoming the largest single mobile os, but no way will it happen in a year, there are plenty of people who like and trust their blackberry and apple products who don't see any reason to switch.
Your assuming the only room for growth is existing smartphone users and smartphones.
I agree die hard Apple/BlackBerry fans will not easily switch, but many new users entering the market have no bias and are willing to pick up a Droid as their first smart phone.

However there are many folks who are not die hard fans and will go with a solution that fits them best. I can tell you as a long time member of the Crackberry site, there has been a huge attrition of BB users that seem to coincide with the Droid release, HTC Incredible, and Evo.

Quote:
The blogs in particular like to write-off blackberry, but if you want a device that is a better fit for your pocket than most smartphones that does all the communication from voice to im, social networks etc and has a battery that isn't going to run out the same day then a blackberry is tough to beat.
You know I really like my BB device, I see the same arguments over at Crackberry daily and even made the same statements. However for Christmas I purchased my wife the Droid Eris, couldn't talk here into a BlackBerry. I've realized all those arguments don't hold water. With the exception of notifications and email management, the Droid does everything better.

As for the battery life, I have a Storm, and the phone does not last past one day. I'm guessing it has to do with screen size as the smaller BB screens tend to have much better batter lives than the Storm 1/2 series. Point is that is not an OS/Platform issue but a screen issue.

=X=

My storm doesn't last a full day of use, I usally
Old 07-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
To be honest I think somebody like blackberry is actually doing more to convert feature phone users than android due to pricing (8500 series) or form factor (pearl).

Some of the posters on crackberry are seriously tedious at times, anyone who dares to voice the opinion that maybe blackberry aren't doomed and aren't terrible get shouted down by the former bb owners who have hung around like a bad smell.

Given the age of your storm's battery and the likely lack of memory it isn't surprising that it has poor battery life.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
To be honest I think somebody like blackberry is actually doing more to convert feature phone users than android due to pricing (8500 series) or form factor (pearl).
Well I haven't seen any studies on such a thing so I can't comment on who is more successful in bringing in more first time smartphone users. And I would not be to surprised if what you said is true.

I can just go by my experience, that everyone I known who has bought a BlackBerry has either stopped the service or went to another solution. Also everybody I know who buys a new smartphone has also chosen either apple or android. Also chances are that I too will be buying an android phone.

Also note RIM has been doing smartphones for some time. And has a leg up on android and apple. However there are many manufactures that have adopted the android platform. These devices range from feature phones to entry level smartphones to high end smartphones.

RIM's dominance of the past cannot be used for an argument for its future dominance the field has changed much since a year ago

Quote:
Some of the posters on crackberry are seriously tedious at times, anyone who dares to voice the opinion that maybe blackberry aren't doomed and aren't terrible get shouted down by the former bb owners who have hung around like a bad smell.
Given the age of your storm's battery and the likely lack of memory it isn't surprising that it has poor battery life.
Yeah that is true, but I find them more amusing than annoying.

Also my comment about the battery life has been true since day one(almost two years now). My storm has never lasted past the day without having to charge it. Amazingly my battery life has not deteriorated much, to the point I can't notice a difference.

Again I'll reiterate I think that battery life is mostly tied to screen size.