Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Adding content to Cooler/Bookeen/Netronix etc

When adding books to my Cooler reader Calibre adds them to the 'my docs' folder then creates a folder for the author then a folder for the book and within that is the Epub. so to open a book takes 4 clicks. and if its one series but with different authors it makes things even more complicated as it doesnt store them together but in seperate folders for each author.

Is there anyway to send the books to the cooler so they are created with epub files directly in a folder based on the series info and if no series info in author named folder?
then it would be a lot easier to find the books.

thanks
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't know if this works for the Cooler, but on the Cybook, you can put the Sub-path into tags. It works like this: You put a tag containing a slash ("/", but obviously without the quotes) as first character, followed by the path you'd like the ebook to be in on the device. Use slashes instead of backslashes for subfolders. For example, if you had a collection of works by, say, Shakespeare, you could put "/Shakespeare" (again without quotes) as a tag, and Calibre will put it in a subfolder called "Shakespeare". For multiple folder levels use tags like "/Shakespeare/plays".
There is one caveat: Calibre uses the first tag beginning with a slash that it finds, so to be on the safe side, just use one of these per book.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
I load books to my Astak by using Save to Disk with the following expression:

{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index} - {title}

Go to Preferences, Add/Save and you'll see where you can modify the expressions.

I don't have any multi-author series and prefer to organize by author and then title. Series_index puts the series number at the beginning of the title. If there's no series, then it's just an author folder and the book. Calibre is smart enough to realize when that author already has a folder and saves new books to that author's folder.

Taking out the author_sort expression should give you what you want for a multi-author series, but I think you'd have to change expressions if you wanted the author sometimes included and other times not. Fortunately, the drop down remembers past expressions that you've used, so you don't have to remember what you've used before.
Unfortunately, you have to go back in to Preferences each time to change it. I'd like to be able to save by tags sometimes (unread, for instance), but can't have tags as part of the above expression without creating havoc, especially when the book has multiple tags.

It would be nice if the Save To dialogue box had Save by Series and Save by Tags as options (please Kovid? ), especially if the dialogue let you specify which tag to use.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm not to keen on having a dialog popup for save to disk operations,it would make them too slow. calibre will eventually get support for per device templates when using send to device, just as it current has for save to disk
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Thanks all and Kovid that sounds like a sensible solution.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:31 AM   #6
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post

Okay I tried that string but it did not save it any differently to my device.

Is there a way to save it so it just goes author > book, without the title folder in between?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:24 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Are you sure you used Save to Disk rather than Save to Device? At the moment only the former allows the format mask to be specified.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:44 AM   #8
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Okay I tried that string but it did not save it any differently to my device.

Is there a way to save it so it just goes author > book, without the title folder in between?

Amy
I'm not sure I understand your question. With my string, I don't ever get a title folder. I have the author folder. If there's a series, I have the series folder inside the author folder. If there isn't a series, then I just have the author folder with that author's books inside. The only time I get a title folder is when I Send To Device.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #9
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ahh

Ahh I did not save to disk, I did save to device, I will give that a try next time I download books!

Amy
Old 11-13-2009, 01:48 AM   #10
sassanik
Guru

uhmmm

Okay tried using save to disk option with my Cool-er. Did not work properly, well I guess it did, but it was very disorganzied. It renamed the book to the authors name, and when I forget to tell it only to send epub over it sent it over in multiple formats... oops.

Anyway its still downloading the usual way of author > title > ebook, 3 folders later you get to the ebook.

Not sure if there is a setting to adjust that. Anyway other than that Calibre works very well for managing my library, which keeps on getting bigger!

Amy
Old 09-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
hal9000
Enthusiast
hal9000 doesn't litterhal9000 doesn't litterhal9000 doesn't litter

Device: Airis Dbook (with booq Classic OS 2.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post

Go to Preferences, Add/Save and you'll see where you can modify the expressions.
That's what I thought, but then if the book has no series you get an ugly " - " before the title. Is there a way to do this so the "-" only appears if a series exists? If no, could it be added to calibre? I mean a way to condition a literal string to the existence of a field. Or even have two different name templates for books with or without series.
hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
That's what I thought, but then if the book has no series you get an ugly " - " before the title. Is there a way to do this so the "-" only appears if a series exists? If no, could it be added to calibre? I mean a way to condition a literal string to the existence of a field. Or even have two different name templates for books with or without series.
There's currently no way to do this. Try using this:
Code:
{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index} {title}
To eliminate the "ugly " - " or just change the pattern and select files with/without series_index before saving.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #13
hal9000
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
There's currently no way to do this. Try using this:
Code:
{author_sort}/{series}/{series_index} {title}
To eliminate the "ugly " - " or just change the pattern and select files with/without series_index before saving.
Well, that eliminates the "-" but i guess that then would remain the blank space between "series_index" and "title", because if you don't leave that space both fields would be written together.

In any case, changing the template back and forth between one and other format is a bit annoying. It would be great if calibre could handle the differences between series and non-series books more gracefully.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #14
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
Well, that eliminates the "-" but i guess that then would remain the blank space between "series_index" and "title", because if you don't leave that space both fields would be written together.
The space appears only if series_index exists. If it doesn't exist, the space is automatically stripped off the leading edge of the filename. I've been using a template like this for a long time.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
hal9000
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
The space appears only if series_index exists. If it doesn't exist, the space is automatically stripped off the leading edge of the filename. I've been using a template like this for a long time.
Oh. That's fine. Then the only thing needed would be that calibre were smart enough to not only remove leading spaces, but leading dash/hyphens too.