Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #1066
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm just saying what is. Read the stories and you'll notice the errors in most of the covers.

I've just finished reading Blood Rites. I rather enjoyed the character development.
LOL! I KNOW, Jon. I'm well aware of the discrepancies. I quite like the covers, despite the inaccuracies. I was just teasing, and it was meant in a good way. Like going to an old haunt for the first time in a while, and seeing the old crowd there. It's a nice feeling, to know that things haven't changed too much even though life goes on. I mean, hell, a month on the internet can be a lifetime.

Yes, Blood Rites is one of my favorites in the series.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #1067
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Yes, Blood Rites is one of my favorites in the series.
I liked that BR did not have that much in the way of action. It just felt right. I expect the next book to be full of action.

Welcome back. No way I could be offline for that long. I have my desktop, laptop, iPad. Plus, there are two more desktops and another laptop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #1068
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I liked that BR did not have that much in the way of action. It just felt right. I expect the next book to be full of action.

Welcome back. No way I could be offline for that long. I have my desktop, laptop, iPad. Plus, there are two more desktops and another laptop.
Oh, I wasn't offline. I just wasn't visiting the usual places because of the awkwardness of the other laptop. It's really difficult for me to type on. And it's not like I can visit here and not type anything. I also have the business computer, but that feels like working, and the desktop, but that's more set up for gaming and music production.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #1069
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Here's what I use with my laptop.

Quote:
Oh, I wasn't offline. I just wasn't visiting the usual places because of the awkwardness of the other laptop. It's really difficult for me to type on. And it's not like I can visit here and not type anything. I also have the business computer, but that feels like working, and the desktop, but that's more set up for gaming and music production.
Here's what I use with my laptop.

Click the picture to go to its web page.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-15-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Change the Image
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #1070
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

I like that! Especially because it has the numeric keypad.

My "substitute" laptop, the Dell Duo, has short, stiff keys, and instead of pg up / down / home / end, it assigns those to the function key + arrow keys. I've noticed that's becoming more common now and it bugs the hell out of me.

BUT the Duo has it's good points - the touchscreen is wickedly awesome with Win 8 RP installed. It's perfect for reading PDFs, using Windows Media Center, general media consumption. Sometimes I use it as a portable TV in the kitchen while I'm cooking, or out on the back porch.

If I had sent the 11z in for repair when it first starting acting up, I'd have had it back three weeks ago. Total turnaround time (including them shipping an empty box to me to pack it in) was only 10 days, including the weekend.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #1071
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Dell has a laptop called the Duo? Surprised that Apple hasn't sued Dell since they had the Powerbook Duo series from 1992 - 1997. ;P

Would have to check to see if Duo was trademarked on its own or as Powerbook Duo and if the mark is considered abandoned.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #1072
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
Dell has a laptop called the Duo? Surprised that Apple hasn't sued Dell since they had the Powerbook Duo series from 1992 - 1997. ;P

Would have to check to see if Duo was trademarked on its own or as Powerbook Duo and if the mark is considered abandoned.
Don't know. But the full name is Inspiron Duo if that makes a difference, and it's a convertible tablet / netbook. They only sold them for a little over a year, I think. No longer available. Mine is red.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #1073
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Hey C! I've missed you too!

Welcome back.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #1074
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Hey C! I've missed you too!

Welcome back.
Thanks Nyssa!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #1075
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool 2nd Annual Dresden Files re-read

A year ago, in preparation for reading Ghost Story which had been released on July 26th, I decided to re-read the series first. So beginning on September 17th I started re-reading Storm Front and I finishing reading Changes on October 20th. Then I read Ghost Story and finished it on October 25th. So this year I'm going to start my 2nd annual Dresden Files re-read early, so that when the November release of Cold Days happens I'll be ready. I didn't remember just how long after the release of Ghost Story it took me to even start on my re-read. Oh well, this time I'm starting early enough to begin reading Cold Days right away after the release!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:45 AM   #1076
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If I had sent the 11z in for repair when it first starting acting up, I'd have had it back three weeks ago. Total turnaround time (including them shipping an empty box to me to pack it in) was only 10 days, including the weekend.
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only fan of the Dell Inspiron 11z. It's the machine I take with me on all my travels, and for me it's the perfect combination of portability and usability. An 11.6" device is the smallest that has a usable keyboard for me; I can't type comfortably on 10" devices.

It's a great shame that Dell are no longer selling them, but hopefully mine will last me a good many more years.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #1077
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only fan of the Dell Inspiron 11z. It's the machine I take with me on all my travels, and for me it's the perfect combination of portability and usability. An 11.6" device is the smallest that has a usable keyboard for me; I can't type comfortably on 10" devices.

It's a great shame that Dell are no longer selling them, but hopefully mine will last me a good many more years.
Yay! Another fan! Nice to find someone who understands the appeal of the 11z. The Celeron Mobile CULV processor in mine is surprisingly robust. It's just perfect. It's so light, too, even with the 6-cell battery. (Speaking of which, even after 2.5 years, I still get nearly 5.5 hours of light usage - web, email, writing - on that battery.)

I've had *a-hem* a few laptops, and this is the only one I stayed happy with for so long. I was sad when I saw that Dell converted their Z models to an Ultrabook line, boosting the specs and the prices.

They did so many things RIGHT with the 11z that they have not done since. I've seriously thought about hitting up ebay and buying some spare parts while they are available.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #1078
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The one thing laptop manufacturers have done so wrong is give in the the HD hype. Now we have poor resolution instead of better resolution. 1366x768 on a 15.6" screen is crap. 1600x900 on a 17.3" screen is also crap. The prices they charge now for a 1920x1080 screen is outrageous.

Before we had HDTV, we had resolutions going up and laptop panels that could do 1600x1200. Now we have crap.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #1079
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm delving back into the Files, too--I started the Proven Guilty audiobook on my train commute the other night, despite my 4-6 other books/audiobooks in progress

All the recaps and character bios early on are a tad annoying, but Harry's world still draws me right in.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #1080
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool 2nd Annual Dresden Files re-read

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
A year ago, in preparation for reading Ghost Story which had been released on July 26th, I decided to re-read the series first. So beginning on September 17th I started re-reading Storm Front and I finishing reading Changes on October 20th. Then I read Ghost Story and finished it on October 25th. So this year I'm going to start my 2nd annual Dresden Files re-read early, so that when the November release of Cold Days happens I'll be ready. I didn't remember just how long after the release of Ghost Story it took me to even start on my re-read. Oh well, this time I'm starting early enough to begin reading Cold Days right away after the release!
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I'm delving back into the Files, too--I started the Proven Guilty audiobook on my train commute the other night, despite my 4-6 other books/audiobooks in progress

All the recaps and character bios early on are a tad annoying, but Harry's world still draws me right in.
I just completed Storm Front and will begin Fool Moon tomorrow. Off to bed I go!

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy