Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
rzsiftyxoq
rzsiftyxoq began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
Will live in South Korea for the next year, will Kindle work???

Hi, I purchased the Kindle International version specifically because of it's overseas use, but now i'm not sure if it'll even work. Are there any kind of limitations to using a US-bought Kindle in Korea?

my sub questions:
1. Can i buy ebooks on Amazon.com and then transfer them via usb to my Kindle in Korea?
2. Will the 3G work? South Korea is colored in dark purple on their coverage map
3. Does the amazon store restrict IP addresses? I have a US credit card and everything, but if they restrict my IP i'm fcuked
4. Why do so many people have issues overseas with the Kindle? Can't you just transfer stuff via usb?
rzsiftyxoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 AM   #2
Lekdin
Lekdin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
I live in France right now, with a US-bought Kindle. The Amazon store does not restrict IP addresses, I buy books very easily with my US registered credit card, so that should not be a problem for you.
If South Korea is colored in dark purple, yes, it will work. And yes, you can buy ebooks off of Amazon.com and then transfer them in Korea. South Korea is not a country like China or even North Korea that has intense internet censorship, and I don't think that they would censor Amazon.com--(although maybe look into this, I am not completely positive)
I practically bought my Kindle and left immediately for France, so I didn't use the Kindle at all in the US, so concerning the 3G issue, the first time that I used the internet (already in France), my Kindle froze. I don't know if that was because I was in France or just because the Kindle sometimes has problems, but I avoid going on the internet now and just transfer the books via usb, which works without problem.

Enjoy Korea and your Kindle.
Lekdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
rzsiftyxoq

thanks for the info, that is very helpful. i was afraid of IP restrictions. i'm not going to be away from the US for about a year, so i don't want any problems buying overseas

B&N's NOOK apparently restricts IP addresses overseas, at least that's their customer service said. they said you can't even download their ebooks from the website because they restrict your IP from their store. i can't verify that myself, but their CS explained it that way
Old 04-24-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Dharmabum
Enthusiast
Dharmabum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Paper White
You shouldn't have a problem. I live in South Korea now, though with a US Kindle(pre international version). The 3G doesn't work for me. Shows bars, just can't connect. I've had no problems buying from Amazon and transferring via usb.
Dharmabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #5
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
cool .i m happy to know that kindle work for all of you out of us
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
rzsiftyxoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharmabum View Post
You shouldn't have a problem. I live in South Korea now, though with a US Kindle(pre international version). The 3G doesn't work for me. Shows bars, just can't connect. I've had no problems buying from Amazon and transferring via usb.
that is very good news. i just talked to kindle customer service, they said the kindle works in korea. the guy i talked to seemed a little hesitant tho, i wasn't sure if he knew what he was talking about lol
Old 04-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
Bought books & downloaded, via the usb, them in Germany. Should b e no problem in Korea. Doubtful the 3G will work. US version only licensed for US 3G
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote