Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
I wanted to thank everyone

I finally decided to pass on the Kindle, the Kindle 2 (lack of SD storage killed my desire fairly fast) and purchased in the last hour, a Jetbook. Anyone else having one, feel free to tell me what is a must for accesories. I'd love to hear from you.
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Shame on me for not even knowing about Jetbooks before I bought. Do you have it yet? How does the screen compare to an eInk device?
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Jaie
Connoisseur

Just ordered it today! I'll be sure to let everyone know how I like it, but so far, the reviews I've read are excellent.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Congrats with your choise.

Enjoy,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaie View Post
I finally decided to pass on the Kindle, the Kindle 2 (lack of SD storage killed my desire fairly fast) and purchased in the last hour, a Jetbook. Anyone else having one, feel free to tell me what is a must for accesories. I'd love to hear from you.
Man, I hear you. I never would have purchased a Kindle if the K2 had been the initial offering. Got to have SD storage.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I finally decided to pass on the Kindle, the Kindle 2 (lack of SD storage killed my desire fairly fast) and purchased in the last hour, a Jetbook. Anyone else having one, feel free to tell me what is a must for accessories. I'd love to hear from you.
What was it about the Jetbook that you decided that you liked?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Jaie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What was it about the Jetbook that you decided that you liked?
  • Space: I can get additional cards (up to 2GB) and categorize my collection.
  • Color: I'm a chick, its not rational, but I wanted something "pretty".
  • Design: Its a smaller screen than most readers, but its pocket sized as opposed to my UPMC which has a bag.
  • Screen: While I think e-ink is fantastic, I didn't really like the page turn. I noticed a bit of a lag. It wasn't crucial, but it was an issue I felt would be a distraction.
  • Price: Depending where you shop (I bought mine from an authorized e-bay dealer) its around $100 less than a Kindle.
  • Format: Jetbook reads several formats, txt, .pdf, .fb2 and .jpg. Anything I have that isn't this file type, I can convert. But, since I read a lot from Gutenberg, the txt reader was perfect.
  • Music: Silly as it is, I like being able to play music, or even audio books if I want. And not have to use my PC.
  • Jpeg: I have a feeling the greyscale is going to come in handy when I read graphic novels. I've heard good reports of the display for comics. And for storing a few pictures.

There were a few things I didn't care for, I think the customer service isn't great, and I'm not totally thrilled some of the lacks in the PDF area (I understand that bookmarks and pagination isn't wonderful in this area) I also do wish it supported a few other file types (lit files would be nice) but nothing that was a huge drawback. I would have like the ease of download like the Kindle, but I decided that it wasn't that big a deal to hook it up to the computer to transfer, or better yet, pop the cards into my UMPC (which has the SD slot) and get my files that way.

My next step is a converter.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I just had a chance to play with a JetBook for a couple days.

The screen is quite nice ... it is a passive TFT LCD display, not a eInk display, but looks quite nice and *almost* comparable. It is a full inch smaller than most 6" eInk based readers though.

However, the biggest limitation of the JetBook is its content support. It only supports PDF, TXT and FB2 ... and out of these two, PDF and FB2 support don't work quite well. The firmware is not quite ready for primetime yet and often freezes up.

The price is good though ... especially since Fry's was selling this for $180, but (based on my very short experience) this is a classic case of "you get what you pay for"

Don't get me wrong ! I am not trying to discourage you ... just setting your expectation right. If you are happy with just text based ebooks, then you will like it. But unfortunately for anything else it is not quite good enough.

I sure hope your experience with this will be much better than mine.

Good luck !
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
Jaie
Connoisseur

OK, after a morning of use (and the awed admiration of fellow students) I REALLY like this device. Viewing PDF is NOT the same as viewing in text format. you cannot simply flip the page. You need to use the slider on the side (a minute move of the hand) I've noticed no drags between page turning, and no gaps in text in either format. Pictures are displayed in greyscale, and MP3 is a good quality. The machine does drag slightly (and I do emphasize SLIGHTLY) when you read and play music, but its not enough to even matter.

I don't miss e-ink. I don't miss back lighting, and I sure as heck am not missing the lack of instant download gratification, which was a huge worry for me.

I do agree that text files are limiting, but at the same time, they aren't. I can view my comic books as jpeg files and flip in the same manner as a book (making sure that pages are in proper order when the files are created first) and I will soon find a method to create txt files from either lit or any other files, truth is, if you build it, they will convert it.

So Rana, no rain on this parade, I so far am standing very firmly behind the Jetbook.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
rana
Gadget Freak
rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SonyPRS505,Kindle1,NokiaN810,VilivX70, SmrtQ7,JoinTechJE100,NookColor
That's great. The JetBook sure didn't meet my needs, but I am truly glad to hear that you are enjoying it
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Jaie
Connoisseur

I was lucky in that I found quickly a program called Amber (I believe) that converts my lit files to any file type I enjoy, and I did do a comic book on it and it shows up great. I'll be sure to post pictures later in another post.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
I was lucky in that I found quickly a program called Amber (I believe) that converts my lit files to any file type I enjoy, and I did do a comic book on it and it shows up great. I'll be sure to post pictures later in another post.
I like my jetBook and recommend it to all my friends and coworkers. I'm glad that one more person lucky to use this unit!
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
Jaie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I like my jetBook and recommend it to all my friends and coworkers. I'm glad that one more person lucky to use this unit!
The more I use it, the more I'm liking it. I can see where some lack of features could be an issue, but to be honest, it does everything I wanted and maybe a bit more. MP3 player, not a priority, but I've got one. Didn't care about picture storage, but I've got it.

I've put a comic book on it and its clear, readable and I'm impressed.

I also put my bus schedules on it in PDF form, totally readable. And now portable and not paper.

Thin. Thinner than I realized. Color doesn't tickle me, it looked redder online.

Easy to use. PDF, just flip the pages like in the text files.

I haven't totally figured out FB2 files. Or why I need them.

We need a forum
Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
yes, we can ask moderators about jetBook forum
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
yes, we can ask moderators about jetBook forum
We have talked about it, and I am all for it. I think we have enough people here with them to justify it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote