Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
southern belle
southern belle began at the beginning.

Device: trying to decide which one to buy
Smile Hi Yall!!

Thanks for all the welcomes. I look forward to learning from you guys.

I am an avid reader and my husband has informed me that I need to buy an ebook reader or start my own library. I am looking for an ebook just for reading books. Don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by southern belle; 04-14-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: typo
southern belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead southern belle

Lots of people here with about every reading device on the market covered by someone or other. Many have strong thoughts about what is the best device. Debates and discussions abound on many topics from screen size to back lit or not with side diversions on which is the best format. (Hint, they're all correct.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern belle View Post
Thanks for all the welcomes. I look forward to learning from you guys.

I am an avid reader and my husband has informed me that I need to buy an ebook reader or start my own library. I am looking for an ebook just for reading books. Don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Welcome to ya.

Well, everyone will have their own opinion... but the most popular three (eInk) at the moment seem to be the Amazon Kindle, the Sony Reader and the Bookeen CyBook. They each have pro's and con's depending on your needs and wants one or all of them should meet your needs. I suggest reading up on the Wiki topics and the threads in the "Which should I buy" forum for lots of opinions and info.

If you don't want eInk, or want to spend a bit less, the eBookwise device seems to be well liked also.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi southern belle and welcome to the Forum. I've got a Sony 505 and am very pleased with it but read all the threads. lots of good advice there.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
How's the old home state?

Welcome. Here's my two cents worth;
Kindle - if you want to download (direct from Amazon) to the reader without needing a computer (almost had one but backed out)
Sony PRS-505 - if a brand name is important (got the PRS-500)
Bookeen Cybook Gen3 - if you want to have access to dictionary lookups and good access to plenty of books from various sources. (got one - this is what I use)

The above represents the most popular E-ink readers in the US. However you might look for references to the Astak Mentor on this forum. It will be out soon & looks very attractive.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Sony PRS-505 - if a brand name is important (got the PRS-500)
Don't mean to be off topic here... but are you saying the only reason to pick the Sony is because it is a good brand name?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Don't mean to be off topic here... but are you saying the only reason to pick the Sony is because it is a good brand name?
No, but to me that is the most distinguishing feature. I find it much easier to get Mobipocket books than to convert books to .lrf. I was pleased with the Sony until I got the Cybook, which for me is a better reader.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I find it much easier to get Mobipocket books than to convert books to .lrf. I was pleased with the Sony until I got the Cybook, which for me is a better reader.
So, are you saying it is easier to buy Mobipocket than BBeB (sony store)? I ask because I have never bought from the Sony store, but it didn't seem that hard.

Or are you saying that the Sony store didn't have what you wanted available so you were doing alot of conversions.

BOb - who doesn't feel converting from Mobi/Lit to LRF is that difficult.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!

Quote:
So, are you saying it is easier to buy Mobipocket than BBeB (sony store)? I ask because I have never bought from the Sony store, but it didn't seem that hard.

Or are you saying that the Sony store didn't have what you wanted available so you were doing alot of conversions.

BOb - who doesn't feel converting from Mobi/Lit to LRF is that difficult.
No.

Yes.

A simple task, performed many, many times becomes laborious.
e.g. Walking is relatively easy but walking from New York to San Francisco is just too much work.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
A simple task, performed many, many times becomes laborious.
This is what computers are for... to automate repetitive tasks.

BOb
Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hey Neighbor! Mine is one of the easiest to use and cheapest to buy. It has no bells or whistles, just lets me read. My main feature that I wanted was a backlight for reading in the dark. Check it out at www.ebookwise.com and see what you think.

I'm beginning to think us southerners need to hold a convention at the beach or something, because there seem to be quite a few of us coming onboard with the e-devices.

Are you in Eudora Welty territory?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Howdy southern belle
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post

I'm beginning to think us southerners need to hold a convention at the beach or something, because there seem to be quite a few of us coming onboard with the e-devices.
Actually, I'd prefer to meet up in a nice air conditioned room with comfy chairs and sofas and an endless supply of sweet tea.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
Actually, I'd prefer to meet up in a nice air conditioned room with comfy chairs and sofas and an endless supply of sweet tea.
Sounds like an episode of Geriatric Friends.

BOb
Old 05-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Sounds like an episode of Geriatric Friends.

BOb
*sigh* It does, kinda. I'm just am not a big fan of the beach. In fact, last week a co-worker asked if I'd rather stay home and work or go on vacation to the beach. I hesitated for a moment and requested a third option.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote