Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #31
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Barnes & Noble Is Getting out of the Hardware Business...

Barnes & Noble Is Getting out of the Hardware Business – Puts the Nook HD, Nook HD+ On Clearance
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #32
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
They could be clearing the way for a new model. But they're probably getting out of the tablet business. That's too bad, because as someone who does read on the tablet a lot, B&N tablets have the best screen.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #33
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've just bought a 16gb Nook HD. I've downloaded all the apps I'll ever need as I want it primarily as an reader and to write documents to sync with Dropbox. I paid more than the US sale prices as devices are much dearer in the UK, but its still a lot cheaper and more attractive (due to the SD slot) than the iPad mini, the only other tablet I've previously considered, which right now doesn't have a good enough screen.

I fully expect Nook disappear, and have even bought two cases so I have a spare if anything happens to mine, and a spare charger, as once the devices go the accessories go too.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That article is guessing that B&N is getting out of the hardware business because B&N has extended their sale. It's a rather poorly written article with no facts to back it up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #35
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Now I'm not going to say the Nook is going to die, but it might not hurt to polish up that eulogy speech, you know, just in case the patient takes a sudden turn for the worse.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That article is guessing that B&N is getting out of the hardware business because B&N has extended their sale. It's a rather poorly written article with no facts to back it up.
"no facts" LOL
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #37
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
"no facts" LOL
Care to share the facts? They are discounting the current models, how do you make the jump from here to "are getting out of the hardware business"? For all we know they could be working on the next-gen tablets.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #38
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I fully expect Nook disappear, and have even bought two cases so I have a spare if anything happens to mine, and a spare charger, as once the devices go the accessories go too.
Don't forget the screen protectors too.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #39
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Don't forget the screen protectors too.
I picked up the Mediadevil Kindle HD protector as I wanted the crystal clear one (I have them on my ipad and iPhone), it needed trimming as its too big but it went on perfectly. It comes in a two pack so I've even got a spare of that
Old 06-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #40
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
For those using screen protectors, is it for the glare so you can more easily read in the sunlight? Do they really work for that?

The HD and HD+ have gorilla glass. From my experience with gorilla glass on Apple iOS devices, it is stupendously tough and scratch-resistant. So I don't see the need to cover up the screen of my HD just to protect it.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 06-19-2013 at 09:19 AM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #41
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
The Nook hardware division may or may not be on the chopping block, but afv is right -- as of now, there are no supporting facts to support the conclusion it is.

If it is destined to disappear soon, that would be a shame. I really think the HD/HD+ are superb tablets and I even love their navigation and interface (after a little tweaking). I think it is much better than the native Apple iOS interface, and more customizable. Hopefully B&N can continue to develop new Nook products for the sake of diversity and competition.

--Pat

Last edited by PatNY; 06-19-2013 at 09:16 AM.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #42
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
For those using screen protectors, is it for the glare so you can more easily read in the sunlight? Do they really work for that?

The HD and HD+ have gorilla glass. From my experience with gorilla glass on Apple iOS devices, it is stupendously tough and scratch-resistant. So I don't see the need to cover up the screen of my HD just to protect it.

--Pat
I had a phone with Gorilla glass that still got a scratch on it. The main reason though, is actually that my screen protector actually leaves less fingerprints than just the plain glass. And my hands sweat a lot. It doesn't help at all with glare.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #43
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post

--Pat
No I hate the anti glare screen protectors, they pixelate the screen. I use a crystal clear one simply to protect the screen from scratches etc.

I didn't know about the gorilla glass.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #44
ab78727
Connoisseur
ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ab78727 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable2 Sony-DPT-S1 iPad9g
Thumbs up

I got a 16GB HD+ and a 32GB HD+ and then rooted and cleaned it up (described at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2318487 ). I love these tablets and hope that BN, even with its misguided decisions, stays in business and thrives. The light-weight, high-resolution, and excellent battery life really make for a superb device. It is sad that BN loaded it with so much garbage but once you clean it up, it is an awesome piece of kit.
ab78727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #45
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
My prior Android device was my Pandigital Novel, that I had rooted, and the Nook HD is light years ahead of that device. I'm finding that it is much easier to get used to Android's methods as opposed to Window's methods now than it used to be.

I also question the assumption as fact that B&N is "getting out" of the business.

Quote:
Given that this is the second sale in less than a month, and given that the sale prices are costing B&N a lot of money with each unit sold, I would suggest that we are looking at a clearance sale in all but name.
(which they make back with the first few ebook orders or movie sales )

Supposition, based apparently on....

Quote:
A little over a month ago Barnes & Noble quietly removed any mention of their Nook for PC and Nook for Mac apps, and today they confirmed to me that the apps are no longer being supported.
They have been replaced by "Nook for Windows 8" and "Nook for Web". Not surprising, given the increasing sale of tablet devices and phones over desktops and laptops for casual use.

ETA: Apparently B&N has restored "Nook for PC" and "Nook for Mac" since they are listed once again on their website. Listening to their customer base, perhaps?

Last edited by Xanthe; 06-19-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote