Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #61
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
My favorite "hometown in a book" experience was finding references to my home town in a college history textbook. Now I know that the open fields that were all around the town when I was a kid in the 1970's were the remnants of the farms owned by textile mill owners in earlier days.

My favorite bookstore has shown up in a couple of places. The owner and staff have been "murdered" in several novels written by acquaintances.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #62
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I might like a book set in Minneapolis (if it was a genre I liked), but if it read like someone didn't know the city, it would be like driving a car down a street filled with potholes.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #63
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laridae View Post
I'm Canadian too and I enjoy books set in Toronto where I can recognize specific references to things and places I'm familiar with.

I also enjoy the Kathy Reichs "Bones" books which are often set in Montreal or other parts of eastern Canada I'm familiar with.
Have you tried Anthony Bidulka's mystery series featuring P. I. Russell Quant set in Saskatoon -- quite a change from Toronto-based books!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #64
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Have you tried Anthony Bidulka's mystery series featuring P. I. Russell Quant set in Saskatoon -- quite a change from Toronto-based books!
Thanks for the tip, but I doubt I'd find much that I'd recognize in a book set in Saskatoon since I only visited there once briefly and that was many years ago.

My wife enjoys recognizing familiar places in books by another Toronto writer, Robert Rotenberg, author of the Detective Greene series among others but I haven't had a chance to read him yet.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote