Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Writing at the wrong end of the day

I write at night. It's partly because I was always a night person, and partly because it's the time I can make available with minimal interruption. I'm now approaching the end of the third book in the series - supposedly the big finale, but it has gotten very hard to make progress.

My software development work has gotten into some detailed stuff right now and really pulling at my concentration through the day. My writing time comes and it takes all my effort to pull my head out of pointers and references and template instantiations and get it back into my story. And then, just as it is finally starting to happen, I see the time has gotten around to well after 2am and I know I have to go to bed or I will be useless the next day. I go to bed and lay awake with the story still in my head, ideas trying to form. ... But then the next night comes and the cycle starts over again, with me trying desperately to find those things that were just starting to come when I turned in last night. Ahhhh!!!!

There. I just wanted to get that off my chest.

P.S. Makes me wish I could write full time. Or had an employer that would have to give me holidays each year. Hmmm. This isn't really helping, I suppose, it's eating into my writing time. But I wanted to say it out loud, and who is more likely to understand than the good folks here.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I am right there with you...
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
It's a very strange thing, but programming seems to tug at the same creative wells as writing does. When I code intensively, my fiction output drops, and not just because of time constraints.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sounds like creativity is creativity. Maybe try to find moments during the course of the day to write down little snippets of ideas. Tom Clancy wrote "The hunt for Red October" while working for an insurance company.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
It's a very strange thing, but programming seems to tug at the same creative wells as writing does. When I code intensively, my fiction output drops, and not just because of time constraints.
If that's true, I should be quite a good writer after I stop programming.... which will probably be only after another 35 years, seeing where pension plans and ages are going.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Sounds like creativity is creativity. Maybe try to find moments during the course of the day to write down little snippets of ideas. Tom Clancy wrote "The hunt for Red October" while working for an insurance company.
This. Programing is as much an art form as writing is.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I've always put it down to the fact that I have a very single tracked mind (some say stubborn, others use less flattering terms). I tend to gnaw away at a problem like a dog with a bone - even growling when someone tries to take it away from me . But I do like the sound of "programming seems to tug at the same creative wells as writing does" (thanks Nancy) - that is a much more attractive way to describe the problem.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote