Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Android Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
toddvarg
toddvarg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nexus 7 with ubuntu touch

I have planned to flash my nexus 7 with Ubuntu touch, and are wondering if calibre will run on it. The plan is to also use it as a e-book
toddvarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
Minor necro but did you get anywhere with this? KDE plasma looks promising and seems to have a bit more support atm. Having a nexus 7 with calibre sounds like a nice cheap e-reader/editor.
rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakulos View Post
...Having a nexus 7 with calibre sounds like a nice cheap e-reader/editor.
Even easier would be, buying a cheap Windows 8 or Windows 7 tablet.
You find them for around the same price as Nexus 7 = $ 200 to $ 250.
Here Calibre should run natively without any problems.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Does calibre not run natively on linux?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
rakulos
Connoisseur

Yup - works fine on ubuntu linux etc but not android as its too far removed from the linux kernel. However there are linux distros out there now that are able to run on the ARM chipsets designed for android i.e the Nexus 7.

And yes, it probably would be simpler to get a windows 7 tablet but I'd rather take the longer more complicated route

I'm unlikely to get one soon though, so just wondered if this had been done already and what the issues were.
Advert
Old 05-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Yeah, I would just try it if I had one. You can reload Android right?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
rakulos
Connoisseur

Yes you can download the image and reinstall - wipes all the data every time you change OS of course and, as always, mucking around like this has a very small chance of bricking the device.
You can chroot ubuntu instead but from all reports it runs so slow it'is practically useless - running it (or KDE) natively seems the only to get it working properly.

EDIT: vid of KDE plasma running on it
Old 05-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Yup - works fine on ubuntu linux etc but not android as its too far removed from the linux kernel. However there are linux distros out there now that are able to run on the ARM chipsets designed for android i.e the Nexus 7.
But calibre isn't released for ARM, although I believe there is a raspberry pi package. An old one.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
rakulos
Connoisseur

Ah yes hadn't spotted that - and the package that works is only as a server, the gui client wont run on ARM so that idea is scuppered for now. Ah well.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Ah yes hadn't spotted that - and the package that works is only as a server, the gui client wont run on ARM so that idea is scuppered for now. Ah well.
I am sure if you put in the effort to build an ARM package, you'll receive plenty of gratitude. I believe the main issue is no one has put in the work.

This issue has been discussed here before: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141085

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre itself should be easy to port to ARM, it has very little C code. The problem is porting all its dependencies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
All the best

Fell free to ping me if you have trouble with any of the C code in calibre.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nexus 7, touch, ubuntu