Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #1321
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Cold Days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Wow. Just finished "Cold Days" this morning....
...and just Wow.

My daughter is working her way through the series and she asked me tell her about it. I just blinked and said, "I don't think I can until you read more of the earlier ones." Almost any discussion on specifics would be nothing but spoilers.
So, you've read the other 13 books as well?

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #1322
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
So, you've read the other 13 books as well?

Yes. I've actually re-read the entire series again earlier this year in prep for Cold Days.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #1323
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Cold Days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedpeer View Post
...I actually think this might have been the Dresden book I have enjoyed the most, although I might say that after each one...

Ted
Hey I say that too, each time I re-read the series!

Old 12-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #1324
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Cold Days!

Quote:
Yes. I've actually re-read the entire series again earlier this year in prep for Cold Days.
Two series re-reads so far for me!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #1325
steven522
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Two series re-reads so far for me!

Some people seem to not understand why or how I can sit down and read a novel or series over again. At least with a series, you can always fall back on "it's a refresher" before going into the latest release.

To me, the Dresden series is just thoroughly enjoyable. I'm sure at some point before the next release in 2015, I will break them out and go through them again (I've done the same with GRRM's "Wild Cards" series).

I've also listened to the audio-book version of the Dresden series on my daily commute to and from work each day. If this counts as a read then I have "read" some of the books three times now.
Advert
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #1326
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool

Quote:
Some people seem to not understand why or how I can sit down and read a novel or series over again. At least with a series, you can always fall back on "it's a refresher" before going into the latest release.

To me, the Dresden series is just thoroughly enjoyable. I'm sure at some point before the next release in 2015, I will break them out and go through them again (I've done the same with GRRM's "Wild Cards" series).

I've also listened to the audio-book version of the Dresden series on my daily commute to and from work each day. If this counts as a read then I have "read" some of the books three times now.
Well, 'Welcome to the Jungle' (The Dresden Files thread I mean) Steven!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Welcome To The Jungle.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	97333

Last edited by alansplace; 12-05-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: add words
Old 12-06-2012, 02:16 AM   #1327
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Some people seem to not understand why or how I can sit down and read a novel or series over again.
I always answer those people with the old chinese verb: To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new friend; to read it for a second time, is to meet an old one.

In the case of Harry Dresden, I definitely want to be on his good side as a friend... Couldn't take it anymore. Abandoned the book I was reading and opened Cold Days. Ah, the joy of it and I haven't even left
Spoiler:
the birthday party
yet.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #1328
steven522

Quote:
Well, Welcome to the Jungle (The Dresden Files thread I mean) Steven!

Yes, I've read the comic boo... I mean graphic novels, also. I wish they would hurry up and finish the adaptation of fool moon.

So far the only thing Dresden that I have not enjoyed was the awful television version that came out a few years back. I couldn't make it all the way through one episode.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #1329
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Having read some more now, I wonder the following:
Spoiler:
Why was his godmother Leah not at his party?

Will probably be answered later though...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #1330
steven522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Spoiler:

You know, until I read that, I didn't even realize:

Spoiler:
Other than being mentioned, she never puts in an actual appearance in this novel.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #1331
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Cold Days a Bestseller

Quoted from jim-butcher.com

Quote:
Cold Days a Bestseller

Dec 06, 2012

Jim tweeted last night:
Quote:
Jim Butcher @longshotauthor

Thank you, guys, for making COLD DAYS a #1 New York Times best-selling book.
Congratulations, Jim! Cold Days is the 4th Dresden Files novel in a row to hit #1 on the New York Times hardcover fiction bestseller list! Thanks to all the fans for their extraordinary support.

Jim is still fighting off the last throes of stomach flu, but he was feeling well enough for celebratory Burger King last night! Hopefully, he’ll be able to reschedule one or both of the missed signings soon. We’ll get you that info as soon as we have it!

In the meantime, enjoy video from the signings in Seattle (courtesy of Suvudu) and Redondo Beach (provided by Priscellie), plus Seattle’s pre-event livestream Q&A at University Bookstore.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #1332
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Event: Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Quote:

Published on Nov 27, 2012 by suvudu

Jim Butcher stopped by the University Bookstore in Seattle WA on November 27, 2012 in support of his new Dresden Files book, COLD DAYS! He tells a story and then takes questions from the audience! A fun night with a great writer.
Jim Butcher Q&A at Mysterious Galaxy Redondo Beach, 11/28/12

Quote:

Published on Nov 29, 2012 by Priscilla Spencer

Jim Butcher Q&A at Mysterious Galaxy Redondo Beach, 11/28/12

Last edited by alansplace; 12-06-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #1333
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Spoiler:

You know, until I read that, I didn't even realize:

Spoiler:
Other than being mentioned, she never puts in an actual appearance in this novel.
Not just for this novel, but in general in each book I found that
Spoiler:
nobody gets even mentioned unless it has some relevance to the plot. The amount of appearing or talked about characters each novel is rather limited. The key players get introduced early on, even before it is clear how they are connected.
Or maybe that is just me, but it keeps me focused on the matter at hand without too much extra. Makes me wonder how it will end up in end - usually with many surprises.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #1334
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Argh! All the spoiler buttons are making me crazy. I'm going to buy it RIGHT.THE.HECK.NOW.

I guess I'll also buy the next Iron Druid Chronicles too. Then I just need to finish the book I'm currently reading and away I go!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #1335
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Benedict Jacka

I'd just re-read The Hobbit and then finished up my re-read of the three James Potter books and decided to give the Derrick Storm novelette trilogy a read, but right after beginning I paused to view the two videos in my last post here. In the Redondo Beach video Jim recommends Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series. Well it made me stop the Derrick Storm books and grab a copy of Fated, the first in the series. I've just started it and in the first Chapter Alex (he calls himself a mage and has a magic store in London) says:
Quote:
Those of us who do like visitors have to advertise, and it’s tricky to find a way of doing it that doesn’t make you sound crazy. The majority rely on word of mouth, though younger mages use the internet. I’ve even heard of one guy in Chicago who advertises in the phone book under ‘Wizard’, though that’s probably an urban legend.
Also on the cover there's a short blurb from Jim:
Quote:
'Books this good remind me why I got into the storytelling business in the first place'
JIM BUTCHER
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	97377
I guess I'll be reading this series next and Derrick Storm will go back on TBR for a while.

Last edited by alansplace; 12-07-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: add info

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy