Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
thaKing
thaKing began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
problems adding cover to epub

I have a book in epub format that I want to load to my nook color and do so with a cover. So, in Calibre I load the epub into my library and edit metadata to include the cover I'd like. When I save it to my device I get both the epub file and the jpg, but the jpg isn't actually associated with the epub (meaning, it's not showing up as the cover).

If I remember correctly, I had read that one thing to try is to save as mobi then save as epub again. I tried this but get an error (I will have to give details of the error later, I'm at work right now.) I believe the error looked like all CSS tags.

What other things should I try to get the cover to show properly for the epub file?
thaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Simply adding the cover to Calibre in the metadata level does not actually insert the cover into the book. if you want to make sure it is embedded, then do a epub->epub conversion. Note, however, if the book is DRM protected this conversion will fail (that could be the root cause of your problem I guess).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
thaKing

Sorry, I was simplifying things - when I say add via metadata, I meant I add it then do the full conversion epub to epub. I get no errors doing this conversion, however the cover does not stick. That's why I have tried to convert to another format and then back. Converting to mobi is where I get my error. The book is not DRM protected, it is a short story from a friend who is making his first attempt at an ebook. There is no cover art for the book, and I don't want the nasty grey icon on the NC.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaKing View Post
I meant I add it then do the full conversion epub to epub. I get no errors doing this conversion, however the cover does not stick.
If you did a ePub to ePub conversion and the book is not restricted by DRM and you do not have "No default cover" checked under ePub output then the cover was inserted into the ePub.

View the book in the calibre viewer and see if the selected cover art is at the beginning of the book. If calibre's viewer does show the cover then the problem is with the NC. Delete the old book and cover from your NC and resend the update ePub and see if that makes a difference.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
thaKing

Thanks for the tips, will try that.
Advert
Old 07-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
thaKing

Tried it again and all worked....not sure what I was doing wrong before, but it works now, and that's what really matters.