Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
JohnCD
JohnCD began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Bookmarks on BeBook

Does the Hanlin/BeBook have a "bookmark" function, so that for each book you can go straight back to the page you were on? I would regard that as essential, and maybe it's taken for granted, but I've been scanning all the comparison tables and ended up confused.

Regards, JohnCD
JohnCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
ArgonZ
ArgonZ began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Hi John,
The V3 doesn't have a bookmark function, meaning that you can't explicitly create a bookmark, but if you exit a book to read another it will "remember" the last page you read and present it when you open that book again.

Regards,
Mnl
ArgonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
rjh
Connoisseur
rjh doesn't litterrjh doesn't litter

Device: TungstenT3 Nokia770 BeBook
The BeBook will re-open any previously read document at the same position it was when it was closed.

In addition, bookmarks may be manually added using the 1-5 number keys; pressing the number key on the page that the bookmark refers to will delete the bookmark. Bookmarks can be updated by long-pressing the number keys. Long-pressing key 6 will bring up a list of bookmark details including text snippets for the document, you can navigate to the bookmark from this list if you wish.

5 bookmarks per document isn't much, but at least this basic facility is available.
rjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
JohnCD

Thanks - that sounds quite adequate. I presume the bookmarks are preserved when the device is turned off and on again?

Regards, JohnCD
Old 10-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCD View Post
Thanks - that sounds quite adequate. I presume the bookmarks are preserved when the device is turned off and on again?

Regards, JohnCD
Yes, it most certainly is, even if you remove the battery the booksmarks are preserved.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
I presume the bookmarks are preserved when the device is turned off and on again?
Yes, they are, but with one remark. The bookmarks are saved when you quit from the book to bookshelf, so in some cases (V3 hangs up and restarts) they are not saved. But this situation is not so often.

If you turn off the device without quitting to bookshelf from the book - its all right, bookmarks stored.
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonZ View Post
Hi John,
The V3 doesn't have a bookmark function, meaning that you can't explicitly create a bookmark, but if you exit a book to read another it will "remember" the last page you read and present it when you open that book again.

Regards,
Mnl
I have a Hanlin v3 here and use bookmarks frequently. Holding down the numbers 1 - 5 will create a bookmark, pressing them goes directly to it, and holding the same number down whilst on the bookmarked page will clear them. I believe pressing 6 will bring up a list of current bookmarks in that book too.

I've converted my books to fb2 prior to loading them onto the hanlin though, so perhaps it's just the fb2 reader that supports the bookmark option.

I don't like the other formats as the rendering isn't as clean/justified, page numbers are missing or are not accurate for returning to (mobipocket) or the font and size options are too limited. Really wish the .lit and mobi viewers were as good as the fb2 one then it'd save the hassle of converting
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I have a Hanlin v3 here and use bookmarks frequently. Holding down the numbers 1 - 5 will create a bookmark, pressing them goes directly to it, and holding the same number down whilst on the bookmarked page will clear them. I believe pressing 6 will bring up a list of current bookmarks in that book too.

I've converted my books to fb2 prior to loading them onto the hanlin though, so perhaps it's just the fb2 reader that supports the bookmark option.

I don't like the other formats as the rendering isn't as clean/justified, page numbers are missing or are not accurate for returning to (mobipocket) or the font and size options are too limited. Really wish the .lit and mobi viewers were as good as the fb2 one then it'd save the hassle of converting
Nope, I use bookmarks in .LIT's without problems.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
ArgonZ
ArgonZ began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:

Hi Joe,

Thanks, I stand corrected.
I remember trying to press the numbers while I was trying the V3 and it just jumped to some page, and I had assumed that it wase some "fixed" position on the book. It's nice to learn something new to do with the device

Mnl
ArgonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
JohnCD

Quote:

What do you use to convert to fb2? My Bebook has just arrived and I want to try out all the format options. The only FB2 creator I've found so far is OOo FBTools, whose instructions are all in Russian.

Regards, John D

Last edited by JohnCD; 10-18-2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: add note
Old 10-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
What do you use to convert to fb2? My Bebook has just arrived and I want to try out all the format options. The only FB2 creator I've found so far is OOo FBTools, whose instructions are all in Russian.

Regards, John D
Book Designer can convert to FB2. Also check the FB2 wiki page for more choices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote