Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #22426
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You've reminded me of a childhood rhyme. I wonder if it was widespread?
It never made it to any part of the US that I've lived in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
My secondary school used that tune to signal the start and end of classes and it was also used to start and end announcements over the speaker system. Announcements in public place are usually preceded by a two or three tone chime.
15 years of it in my university... 15 LOOOOONG years of it in my university.... Start, end, announce, start, end, announce... And in public places too. Thank goodness all clubs, community centers, sports venues, and restaurants signal closing time with Auld Lang Syne... All of 'em. Every night....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Yeah, living on the Ring of Fire is just asking for trouble.
I can't even imagine living without trouble. Or an element of danger. I shudder to think of it. I may bitch and moan about it at times, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
The Chinese have a curse that goes; 'May you live in quiet times.' I guess I feel a bit like Thoreau, when he wrote the words; "... I wished to live my life deliberately, .... and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived... I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... "

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #22427
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
The Chinese have a curse that goes; 'May you live in quiet times.'

Stitchawl
I thought that was 'May you live in interesting times.'
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #22428
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I thought that was 'May you live in interesting times.'
There can be no growth without stress.
There are two kinds of stress; distress and eustress. Humans are problem-solving creatures. Some problems are common; hungry? Eat. Problem solved. Have an itch? Scratch. Problem solved. Computer screen frozen? Reboot. Problem solved. Computer doesn't boot? Smash it with a hammer. Problem solved. The more interesting the problem, the more involved we get working out a solution. That's good stress, and helps us grow.
Problems we can't solve... those often can lead to distress for some.
Life without interesting problems to solve is called monotony. Same thing over and over and over.... A 'rut.'

The difference between a rut and a grave are the dimensions.

Stitchawl
Old 04-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #22429
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Harumph! I feel like I was set up and walked into that!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #22430
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Harumph! I feel like I was set up and walked into that!
Don't feel too badly. There actually ARE arguments for both viewpoints. You, unfortunately just ran into someone who looks at the other side.

Many people are content to eat meatloaf every Monday, chicken every Tuesday, pasta every Wednesday, fish every Thursday, etc., etc., and always with mashed potatoes and either peas or carrots on the side (need that variety, right?) Oh... and a basket of bread on the table.
Get up at 6:30, eat breakfast (same one every day) go to work, get home at 5:30, eat dinner at 6:00, sit in front of the TV until 11pm, then go to bed. Every day. It's a good life for them. No surprises. No problems. No worries.

I'd rather stick a needle in my eye.

Stitchawl
Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #22431
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Don't feel too badly. There actually ARE arguments for both viewpoints. You, unfortunately just ran into someone who looks at the other side.

Many people are content to eat meatloaf every Monday, chicken every Tuesday, pasta every Wednesday, fish every Thursday, etc., etc., and always with mashed potatoes and either peas or carrots on the side (need that variety, right?) Oh... and a basket of bread on the table.
Get up at 6:30, eat breakfast (same one every day) go to work, get home at 5:30, eat dinner at 6:00, sit in front of the TV until 11pm, then go to bed. Every day. It's a good life for them. No surprises. No problems. No worries.

Stitchawl
You rebel
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #22432
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:

Stitchawl
That is one of the circles of hell, right?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #22433
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
You rebel
I had a good friend back in the US whose rule was; "If I can't identify it, I won't eat it." I have a rule too. "If it can't crawl off the plate under its own power, I'll eat it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I remember back in the day seeing these guys get out of high school, go to work in the G.E. factory standing behind a punch press 8 hours a day, and doing it for 20-30 years. Every Sunday it was beer and a ball game on TV, and a few days every summer renting a cabin at the lake 30 miles away. Every year. Most had never been more than 50 miles from where they were born. And they were happy. I guess.

I don't know who wrote it, but I guess it fits me....
I was born for roaming
And roam I always will
Oh I wonder if it's greener
On the far side of the hill

Hey, come look down yonder
Just earth and green and sky
I know I could get on down there
In the blinkin' of an eye
And further west's an ocean
A miner told me so,
And the sun it shines so brightly
That it scares off winter snow

And yes sometimes I'm tired
Sometimes I'm lonesome too
Sometimes I see a farmer
Walking slow when day is through
And I know he's got a woman
waiting supper every day
But I bless this wanderin fever
That led my life away.

I wished I knew the reason
God does the way he does
And why he keeps me moving
to a place I never was.

Almost all sharks (except sand sharks and dogfish) need to keep moving constantly to stay alive. Me too.

Stitchawl
Old 04-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #22434
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Why must so many good services rely on a ****ing piece of **** Facebook login? I don't want a stupid Facebook account!

Last edited by Dylrob; 04-15-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #22435
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Why must so many good services rely on a ****ing piece of **** Facebook login? I don't want a stupid Facebook account!
Why not? You don't have to put in any 'real' information if you don't want to, nor do you have to have it send you any notices. It can simply 'be.'

Stitchawl
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #22436
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

Stitchawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm with you both on that one. I hate routine. At the moment I have no idea what I'll be eating tonight, or whether I'll have a drink with it (a drink drink), if I'll watch any TV or what time I'll go to bed. Talk about living dangerously .

Here's my mini-rant for today. I have just seen that the BBC (Radio 4) recently broadcast a rare interview with Tom Lehrer who has just turned 85. They only keep the programmes available to "Listen Again" for a week, and I've missed it by one day!!! I'm so annoyed/disappointed.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #22437
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'm with you both on that one. I hate routine. At the moment I have no idea what I'll be eating tonight, or whether I'll have a drink with it (a drink drink), if I'll watch any TV or what time I'll go to bed. Talk about living dangerously .
There are times when I think 'gee, these folks are lucky. They know exactly what they will be doing and where they will be doing it on any given day in the future. They KNOW. There is no doubt, no confusion, no need to even think about it. It's Friday? Hey, tuna noodle casserole for dinner. Then Jim and Margie will come over and we'll play Monopoly. Maybe Margie will suggest they all go into the city 50 miles away on Saturday, and Jim will say 'why? What's there that we don't have here? Jim and Margie were high school sweethearts and got married right after graduation when Jim went to work in the mill. That was 18 years ago. They've never spent a night apart except when Jim had his hernia operation and was in the hospital for two days. The don't buy TV Guide because they know just what shows are on each night, and which one's they'll watch... The two couples always rent adjacent cabins at the lake in August for four days. The guys sneak peeks at the younger women in bikinis on the beach and drink beer while their wives fill in Word Search magazines....

Maybe I should try my hand at writing horror stories.

Stitchawl
Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #22438
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmmm . Can you only sneak peeks at women in bikinis if you have a routine...? Maybe there's something in it after all .

Quote:
Maybe I should try my hand at writing horror stories.

I am reminded of that old quotation, was it George Burns? To paraphrase - you don't live any longer by living a clean life (for "clean" read "boring"), it just feels that way.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #22439
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
We all have different needs. I personally find comfort in familiar things, so yeah, you guys would find me horribly boring. That's okay, though, because I'M not bored.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #22440
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
We all have different needs. I personally find comfort in familiar things, so yeah, you guys would find me horribly boring. That's okay, though, because I'M not bored.
You can't have Ying without Yang .

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness