Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #91
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
Have had enough. Reset my Kobo Touch to factory default, closed my Kobo account and will be selling it off the first opportunity I get. The reason, why I am fed up of the technology getting in the way of what I am trying to do, which is to read a book.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #92
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Happy trails.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #93
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

And you.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #94
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
There's nothing stopping anyone from reading and enjoying ebooks on their KT with whatever generation of firmware they currently have as long as the don't obsess over unimportant details. Updates are nice to have, not a necessity.

Can you imagine buying a paper book to read and then checking every day to see if they have come out with a new cover, or a new font for the page numbers, or a whiter paper? Complaining that you have to start the book over because of the changes? Just read the freakin' book!

Last edited by FJames; 10-14-2012 at 11:07 AM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #95
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Strange so many having problems. I got the 2.1.4 update on my kobo touch over a week ago, and it is working fine. Less bugs than my kindle touch that goes bonkers every other day--page flips for up to 5 pages ahead of my position without touching it, crashes and reboots that make me crazy, loss of page updates when I read on my razr. I could go on and on about it and it will be going in the trash the next time I have to deal with another crash and burn. Gues there is no perfect reader out there.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #96
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I agree FJames.
I gave up trying to sync (I only sync for firmware upgrades as I prefer to side load my books) several days ago when it became obvious that there were some problems.
Now when I'm not reading my perfectly functioning Kobo I occasionally check on MR to see what's happening.
When the update becomes available again I will give it a few days and then I will upgrade if I think it will improve my Kobo - if not I'll just keep reading.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #97
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
There's nothing stopping anyone from reading and enjoying ebooks on their KT with whatever generation of firmwear they currently have as long as the don't obsess over unimportant details. Updates are nice to have, not a necessity.

Can you imagine buying a paper book to read and then checking every day to see if they have come out with a new cover, or a new font for the page numbers, or a whiter paper? Complaining that you have to start the book over because of the changes? Just read the freakin' book!
Can you imagine buying a pbook and a week later they force you to use a new edition, where every fifth page is stuck together? Or for some reason, turning the page takes three times as long as before. and then they force you to take yet another edition, where the only difference is the pbook now contains some social facetube crap.

If the goal is "to just read the book", then stop forcing releases that don't let us.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #98
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
If the goal is "to just read the book", then stop forcing releases that don't let us.
Well, but that's the goal of us readers. The goal of Kobo is to sell - and not only devices but books, too.

Unfortunately someone doesn't seem to realize that good prices make people buy books from Kobo, not advertising. If I can save 2.5 USD on my ebook when buying from Kobo, I will buy from Kobo. Easy.

But having a link asking me to buy "50 Shades of Grey" on every kobobooks.com (sub)page will only annoy me. Advertising on my Kobo Touch also never made me buy a single book from Kobo - and most likely never will.

Anyway I've no problem to read a book on my Touch. Works like a charm with 2.1.4, better than 1.9.17 (had a zone dead to taps) or 2.0.0 (awfully slow in general) or 2.1.1 (slow to return to the homescreen and to use shelves, but still better than 2.0.0).
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #99
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Can you imagine buying a pbook and a week later they force you to use a new edition, where every fifth page is stuck together? Or for some reason, turning the page takes three times as long as before. and then they force you to take yet another edition, where the only difference is the pbook now contains some social facetube crap.

John if you don't like Kobo forcing their latest version of the firmware on you (and I can certainly understand why you feel this way) then stop syncing.
Download your books as epubs and then side load them onto your Kobo. It's quite simple - the downside for those who read on multiple devices is that the second device won't know what page you are up to but as I read different books on different devices this is not a problem for me.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #100
d.culloch
Derek

Guys I am only saying I have had enough. I don't obsess about upgrades never have never will. I bought an e-reader to read books but unfortunately I seem to spend my time upgrading, re-downloading books that have been removed from my device by kobo's server or have been converted back to previews after paying good money for them. You call that reading. Yeah right, jog on kitty.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #101
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.culloch View Post
Guys I am only saying I have had enough. I don't obsess about upgrades never have never will. I bought an e-reader to read books but unfortunately I seem to spend my time upgrading, re-downloading books that have been removed from my device by kobo's server or have been converted back to previews after paying good money for them. You call that reading. Yeah right, jog on kitty.
I have sympathy for this (even though I own a KT that has 2.1.4 working well on it - I see the problems others are having, and remember how bad mine was on previous releases). My anger is more generally at the many companies selling devices like ereaders, that think it is OK to release hardware with poor and buggy software on it, then use their customers to iron out the problems that should have been removed before going to market.

Seriously, if you find a company that does not do this, I want to know, so I can support them in future.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #102
YarnerT
YarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to beholdYarnerT is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi, I'm in Canada and am still waiting for 2.1.4 I was just wondering if someone from Kobo can officially let us know what is going on. I've heard "issue" rumors, but it would be helpful to hear from Kobo what is happening.
Thanks
YarnerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:08 AM   #103
Nina182B
Connoisseur
Nina182B began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Cybook Opus, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura
Manual update to 2.1.4

I did the manual update to 2.1.4 using the zip file in mobileread. As stated in the post, my touch did the update, restarted, updated, restarted, then I got the release notes. It took 4 minutes.

I'm experiencing similar things people have posted about:
- faster page turns (yey)
- going to home page is faster (yey)
- felbridge is gone (boo)
- no heart option to add to shortlist (boo)

I knew it was going to be like this going in, but am still glad I did the update manually since the page turns and going back to home page is normal now.

All my books are sideloaded. I didn't have to do a factory reset and my shortlist books are still saved in the shortlist shelve.

Last edited by Nina182B; 10-14-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Nina182B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #104
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Definitely a case where mileage varies for people. I'm on 2.0.0 on a Touch. And it doesn't bug me. I mostly read library books on it... sideloaded epubs through Adobe. And they work fine for me. (Emphasis on the "for me" part.)

2.1.4 (or .6, or whatever) will come out whenever it comes out. In the meantime, I've got books to read. (Nothing like a three week lending period to give you some incentive. )
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #105
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'm the same as you ottdmk in that I mostly read library books too at this stage. I'm on 2.0.4 and have fast page turns and no problems with
management so I don't know how the current update will improve my reading experience,
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote