Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
Suggestions for adding large numbers of titles.

I found a couple of things dealing with adding a lot of titles, some with trial and error and some from some higher level tech people at Amazon. First, I tried both ways and Amazon confirms, it is better to have a lot of folders with fewer titles in each folder. A big block of titles in a single folder slows things down.

Second, adding a lot of titles starts an indexing process which is very processor intensive. It indexes every word in every book. This will suck your battery dry and Amazon recommends leaving it plugged in for 3 days or more. If the battery dies in the middle of indexing it can cause a corrupted file and the process can run forever trying to repair the file. If you do a search, the last page of the search results will tell you how many items remain non-indexed so this will tell you when the process is over. I found that indexing would drain about 70% of the battery in 7 hours or so with the Kindle WiFi off and not used at all.

Many of you probably know this but it was interesting to find out what was draining my batteries.

Last edited by chas0039; 07-17-2011 at 09:15 PM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:32 AM   #2
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I think the best suggestion is to simply not add large numbers of titles at once.

I mean, books aren't like music, you likely won't read more than a few in a day. So what's the point in adding your whole collection at once?
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Thanks

Thanks for the hint on how to find out if it is still indexing. I've searched for that info, but couldn't find any.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I added 400 books at once because I am impatient and wanted to move my collections. I plugged un my Kindle and left it along for 24 hours while everything was moving.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Good to know (if I find myself adding a metric crap-ton of books for whatever reason). I didn't know about the indexing every word kinda bit.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert