Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #46
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
With the Epson controller, refresh isn't slow any more for partial screen updates. On-screen keyboards work very well on large screens. A touch screen probably is more expensive than a physical keyboard, but a device that is primarily for displaying text does not need a full-time keyboard. The limitations of a built in keyboard are also apparent for the KDX, which is otherwise designed to be used in any one of 4 orientations. Only standard portrait orientation allows the keyboard to be used.
I have been impressed at the faster speed of partial updates, so now that I read your argument I agree that an on-screen keyboard would be workable. I do still think that a physical keyboard is more user-friendly to the majority of the target market, though. But primarily I would guess that cost was the major factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
Those young college kids testing the DX are going to be horrified at the slow page turns, especially when reading (studying) pdf's, the newly touted feature. And in black and white, weaksauce.
I totally agree. With these refresh rates, I find only straight-through reading to be satisfying on e-ink devices. For "browsing"-type reading (research papers, textbooks) that requires lots of flipping back and forth, I just couldn't use one. I even find it difficult with a normal computer screen. I find that a physical book still has the best UI for that kind of thing.

On the other hand, weight is a big issue for textbooks. And if Amazon offers substantial discounts, I can see how it would be tempting from a price point of view...
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #47
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
One more video review available below. I don't know why they don't demonstrate how Internet browser works.
http://www.slashgear.com/amazon-kind...ds-on-0642999/
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #48
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
With these refresh rates, I find only straight-through reading to be satisfying on e-ink devices. For "browsing"-type reading (research papers, textbooks) that requires lots of flipping back and forth, I just couldn't use one.
Unless of course you had two ereaders.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:17 AM   #49
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
I keep hearing about how bad the Kindle 2's contrast and readability is. Please, could anyone make a comparison with cybook's or prs-505's screen contrast?
I'm seriously thinking of getting Kindle DX, because I'm just infatuated with its big screen.
I'm from outside USA so I would have to go into some amount of trouble to have it delivered, so I would rather it to be worth it.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #50
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
There's virtually no difference between Kindle 2's contrast and readability and any other E-Ink reader (Sony, etc.) on the market. The only problem is some overzealous Kindle 1 owners who got so particular with reading very dark fonts at very small font sizes that they can't adjust to the Kindle 2 screen. If you're not a Kindle 1 reader you probably won't even notice, and in any case increasing the font size to 3 or 4 eliminates the issue entirely.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:57 AM   #51
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Thanks for the answer.
I'm a cybook owner. Please can PRS505 owners corroborate that the Kindle 2's and PRS505's contrast level (which I know to have the same contrast as cybook) are the same?
Thanks a lot.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Supposedly the problem with the K2 is due to having 16 shades. What Amazon is doing is dithering the fonts to improve the edges of the fonts and thus adding in more gray to the font. This lessens the overall darkness of the font. The screen itself is fine. It's no different then the screens of the 505 or Gen3.

And before you run out and order a DX, Sony is possibly going to have a larger screen reader later this year and Astak/Mentor is working on one and there is also the V9 as well. So there will be more choices of large screen devices with better software and more choices of reading formats you'll actually want to use.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #53
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
As someone who returned a Kindle 2, the screens are the same. However, Amazon tweaked the font somewhat which makes it appear less dark when compared to either the first Kindle or the Sony et al. Something they could easily change via a software update. A couple of the reviews for the DX seem to indicate the font is a little darker than the K2. I imagine this is something they will continue to tweak on the device as they get more feedback.

One other point, if you had no other device to compare it to you wouldn't notice the lighter font.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #54
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Thank you.
Two more things. If I make a custom pdf I can choose my own font, right? Or does Kindle support only one type of font? Will it be possible to lookup words in the dictionary from within pdf files?

Last edited by Abelturd; 05-09-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #55
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
Thank you.
Two more things. If I make a custom pdf I can choose my own font, right? Or does Kindle support only one type of font? Will it be possible to lookup words in the dictionary from within pdf files?
I'm not sure we know the answers to those questions yet with respect to the DX.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #56
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
If I make a custom pdf I can choose my own font, right? Or does Kindle support only one type of font? Will it be possible to lookup words in the dictionary from within pdf files?
Since the KDX is using Adobe Digital Editions for PDFs, it is probably safe to assume it is a normal PDF reader. All PDF readers support Times, Helvetica and Courier and other fonts can be embedded into the PDF. So you should be able to choose your own font. Perhaps a Sony Reader owner can comment on whether doing so impacts performance.

The KDX User's Guide does not say explicitly that dictionary lookup is supported in a PDF. However, word search is supported (provided the PDF isn't entirely images), see p66 of the User's Guide. This might suggest that dictionary lookup will also be supported, but we don't know for sure so far as I know.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #57
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
As someone who returned a Kindle 2, the screens are the same. However, Amazon tweaked the font somewhat which makes it appear less dark when compared to either the first Kindle or the Sony et al....
This is correct. when I look at the K2 and Iliad BE (both 16 shades), the iLiad is noticeably more contrasty, and easier to read.

Having said this, the K2 font is not terrible, by any measure. And the font hacks available from this forum, can make the K2 font appear darker/more contrasty (although less pretty.)
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote