Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #16
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
The environmental impact of ebooks vs printed books is definitely something that I've thought about and looked into, and although there are some obvious advantages to ebooks, I don't think that enough people (excluding you) consider the environmental disadvantages when they decide to upgrade e-readers every year since there's a lot that has to go into both producing and disposing of such devices. The Green Press Initiative has a pretty good document that outlines some of the things to take into consideration when trying to be green (although I question some of the numbers they use, such as saying that a Kindle's carbon dioxide equivalent emissions are higher than an iPad's).

He already explained why he didn't buy a new one in the very post that you quoted.
I can't read.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #17
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
That's a bummer in an e-reader forum...
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #18
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Haha, well, it's not like I'm proposing that nobody buys an e-reader (I own one), but just to be mindful of what happens if you throw away your old devices (not just e-readers) or buy new devices.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #19
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassX View Post
That's a bummer in an e-reader forum...

pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #20
iamfred
iamfred ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamfred ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamfred ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamfred ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamfred ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamfred ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamfred ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamfred ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamfred ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamfred ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iamfred ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Not so many trees being cut down though
Maybe a bummer but more air to breath
iamfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
You probably didn't realize to whom I was replying, but it's OK

GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #22
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Lol, I did miss that. I get jokes.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I just discovered that the K3 and K5 have the same eink display connector. Now I am tempted to try swapping screens between them. I hope no "magic smoke" escapes while trying this procedure.

Being able to swap screens with a different model adds to the repair possibilities, if it actually works.

But not now... later...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I just discovered that the K3 and K5 have the same eink display connector. Now I am tempted to try swapping screens between them. I hope no "magic smoke" escapes while trying this procedure.

Being able to swap screens with a different model adds to the repair possibilities, if it actually works.

But not now... later...
Keep us informed!...........
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
celladore
celladore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.celladore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.celladore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.celladore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.celladore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.celladore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.celladore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.celladore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.celladore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.celladore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.celladore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi Jim,

I think it's great you fixed your Kindle. I fixed mine as well - using the kindle repair tutorial on scribd http://www.scribd.com/doc/111612727/...dle-repair-com

The kindle 3 is quite easy to fix. I've also fixed my wifes kindle touch - this was a lot harder! it involved using a hair dryer. The hair dryer was used to heat up the glue that holds the metal skin onto the kindle case (once you remove that you can then undo screws and get at the screen.

I've yet to see a good tutorial for fixing the kindle touch but saw this method on youtube I think. BTW I've heard the Kindle 4 version with the single button is impossible to fix - so don't bother.

Not sure why they need to make it so hard to fix some of these things.

Anyway - if you have a broken/frozen kindle 3 screen - fix it! its easy.
celladore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #26
Lucske33
Lucske33 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3, Kindle Touch
also replaced a K3 Screen

After reading these posts desided to replace my broken k3 screen.
I ordered a screen in China cost 56euro and 4 weeks.
Downloaded a utube movie with a tutoreal to disassemble the k3.

After only one hour My kidle was as new again.

Thanks for the idea.
Lucske33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
sdjamie
sdjamie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Thanks to the OP for this thread. Nice to know that there are others who feel the same way about fixing things. I've just replaced the screen on my wife's kindle. Very rewarding. For me, removing the old screen was the trickiest bit as it was gummed down. I levered it up at a corner and slid a credit card into the gap and then down and around the four sides. Nothing snapped or shattered, but I'm very glad that the screen was broken to begin with!

sdjamie
sdjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #28
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoved View Post
I paid US $63 (with free, albeit slow, shipping) for the replacement screen.

I am happy with how it turned out and satisfied with my decision to replace the screen instead of buying a new reader.

I admit it was not an obvious choice, since a new Kindle NT would have cost only a few dollars more than the replacement screen. However, other than the crack in the original screen, I knew my Kindle was in perfect functioning condition, so I thought it would be materially wasteful to discard it when a repair was possible.

In conclusion, if you take pride in fixing things and keeping them going, I would recommend the replacement screen route. On the other hand, I think it would be perfectly reasonable and defensible to put the money towards a new reader instead.
Very sound reasoning about the condition of your Kindle.

And the pride of accomplishment is worth a lot too.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #29
anoved
Enthusiast
anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPhone
I'm glad to hear others have successfully fixed their Kindles, too. Reuse, repair, recycle!
anoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
windspeedo
Enthusiast
windspeedo began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000, Kindle 3G, Kobo Glo
Replaced the screen of my Kindle 3G. Less than one hour.
The kindle repair tutorial on scribd is very helpful.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celladore View Post
Hi Jim,

I think it's great you fixed your Kindle. I fixed mine as well - using the kindle repair tutorial on scribd http://www.scribd.com/doc/111612727/...dle-repair-com

The kindle 3 is quite easy to fix. I've also fixed my wifes kindle touch - this was a lot harder! it involved using a hair dryer. The hair dryer was used to heat up the glue that holds the metal skin onto the kindle case (once you remove that you can then undo screws and get at the screen.

I've yet to see a good tutorial for fixing the kindle touch but saw this method on youtube I think. BTW I've heard the Kindle 4 version with the single button is impossible to fix - so don't bother.

Not sure why they need to make it so hard to fix some of these things.

Anyway - if you have a broken/frozen kindle 3 screen - fix it! its easy.
windspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote