Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
Anybody Thinking About Skinning their Kobo Touch?

So cruising around the web today I noticed that Gelaskins (www.gelaskins.com) has a pattern set up and ready to make custom skins for the Kobo Touch. I never really saw the point with my original kobo since the hard plastic of the front and the fact that it was in a case meant that it never saw much wear or tear. However, with the Kobo Touch and the rubberized front I'm worried that rubbing may eventually wear the rubber off leaving the device rather ugly looking. Anybody else already skinned their KT or thinking about? If so, what images did you guys use. I'm thinking if I did mine I would probably use something sort of old and booky since I like that kind of thing maybe the Chi Rho page from the Book of Kells or the Landisfarne Gospel those are both really pretty. What do you guys think?
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My understanding is that what we call rubberdized is really just texturized plastic and all of one piece, rather than something applied or added on. I could have sworn that the black Touch I saw in the store had the same kind of front that the white ones do, but I didn't look very carefully.

Last edited by taming; 06-20-2011 at 08:05 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
My understanding is that what we call rubberdized is really just texturized plastic and all of one piece, rather than something applied or added on. I could have sworn that the black Touch I saw in the store had the same kind of front that the white ones do, but I didn't look very carefully.
I tried the white Touch but i Really cant stand it.. Seemd too girly for me... no offense to you gals... just that the black really looked kooler... However a dark blue, would have been nice, or full silver front as well not just silver back.

Drawback from the black front is it does pick finger prints up fast. But with a microfibre cloth it does seem to clean up fast. I cant help but notice that our pads have a startrek look and feel to them ie voyager, next generation with one minor dif.. Ours look cooler... but the shape and size does look similar...

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
. I cant help but notice that our pads have a startrek look and feel to them ie voyager, next generation with one minor dif.. Ours look cooler... but the shape and size does look similar...

regards

jack
,, slowly we are getting tech that works as good or better then the ones in startrek, or least the same functionality

Last edited by wes101; 06-20-2011 at 06:23 PM.
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Looking at the link, I decided to order one. Not for protection really but for a nice look, and since I really don't like the cases that are bought. This is prefect since I still have the feel of the reader.

I bought the one called BookShelf, seemed proper for a ereader.

I also had something like 15$ in my paypal account that was doing nothing for at least 6 month. So all in all (with a coupon I found) it cost me 3$ + shipping. Not bad really.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
we got a gelaskin for my wife's and daughter's kobo's, but I found it to be a bit of a waste; If they sold a version for just the front of the device, I might be more inclined to purchase one for myself; I prefer the "quilted" back and don't really care to pay for something I'm not really going to use.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I too would like just front skins. Don't see the point of skinning the back.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
you can design your own skin on that site as well, and if you buy the skin there isn't anything telling you that you have to use the back part of it? yes you still have to pay the $19+ but which parts of it you use are ultimately up to you.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Of course I don't have to use it, but I think it's a bit too much money just for a front skin.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
I did not know that they are in Toronto. I will check them out next time I am in downtown.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
immsm
I'll never grow up.
immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.immsm once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo touch edition
I used a photo I had taken to make my own GelaSkin. I really like the way it looks. Here is a link to a photo I took of it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/immsm/5...in/photostream

Last edited by immsm; 07-30-2011 at 07:18 PM.
immsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #12
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
BTW, I asked Gelaskins a few weeks ago if they would consider selling only front skins for the Kobo and they said that they weren't planning on it right now. Maybe if they get enough requests for it they would consider changing?
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #13
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Touch
Me personally, I'd like to skin the back, too. It's such a big, clear space just waiting for beautiful artwork to be displayed on, without any holes, notches or obstructions to obscure it. The front only offers a thin frame to decorate, and the design almost always has just a memory or a hint of the full art shown on the back.
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
I agree, the back would make more effective use of the designs, but I like the texture on the back of the kobo. I do love the stuff from Gelaskins though; I've got one for my netbook and have bought them for others as gifts.
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistos View Post
Me personally, I'd like to skin the back, too. It's such a big, clear space just waiting for beautiful artwork to be displayed on, without any holes, notches or obstructions to obscure it. The front only offers a thin frame to decorate, and the design almost always has just a memory or a hint of the full art shown on the back.
I love Gelaskins and their artwork. I enjoy the quilted back of the Kobo but the open space for expression is too tempting. I used this skin on my Kobo Wi-fi and I've given some serious thought to using it again.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote