Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Button cracking on a "newer" Nook? (includes Best Buy warranty delay)

Update #5- The LEFT page forward button also cracked on the original Nook and I wasn't even using it - I was using my Opus. So I'm beginning to think that the plastic is just brittle, and the pressure and the dryness of air conditioning contributes to the cracking. Which might explain why so many people are on their second or third nook, and others have no problems. So I've boxed and sent the old Nook back. The replacement Nook arrived Monday, but I haven't opened it yet. Once I have confirmation that B&N has received it and isn't going to charge me for the replacement, I'll decide what to do. I'm also waiting to see what Sony announces. If they have a glare-free touchscreen, I may sell the new Nook. At least their metal cases don't crack.

++++
Update #4: Late Monday, I got an email confirming that my warranty was in the system and to call CS. I called on Tuesday, and have an RMA. So 1 week, 3 calls and an email later, I have a new Nook on its way via UPS. The CSR, when closing the call, thanked me for my business and wished me well with my new Nook, and "hoped that the button wouldn't crack again." Startled, I asked him how many button cracks are they still dealing with, and he said he didn't have total figures, but he personally had handled upwards of several hundred replacements in the 3 months he's been in the Nook division, and some people were on their second or third (!) replacement nook.

+++
Update #3: I called on Saturday and my warranty STILL wasn't in the system. Rep was polite, but this is getting annoying, especially since there is usually a 10-15 minute hold before I get a person.

+++
Update #2 - No one called back on my 24 hour followup, so I called back again Thursday. The CSR was very polite, collected all my info and started to give me an RMA, but then put me on hold. He said they have a backlog of Best Buy warranties to enter in the system, and it is manually done. Until they get my warranty in the system, they won't ship a new one. So I've been told to call back in 48 hours. I guess there is a benefit to buying the Nook from B&N. Good thing my Nook isn't dead!

+++
Update: I contacted B&N on Tuesday night, but they said my B&N account didn't have address information on it, just a name and email, and they would contact me in 24 hours when my account updated across the system. I never got a call back yesterday or this morning, so I'll be calling this afternoon or evening.

+++
I just noticed a significant (1/4") crack in my right page forward button, and another tiny one starting just below it.

Since I prefer the touch swipe for silent page turns, it was a bit of a surprise. Frankly, I think I have only used the right page forward to page through the Library & Document lists. When I do use the buttons in a book, I use the left side.

I got my Nook as part of the Father's Day promotion, with the $50GC, and it came in the new all-paper box, so I thought I was part of the "new" batch of Nooks that would avoid this problem.

Has anyone else had a "newer" Nook crack?

Last edited by simplyparticular; 08-26-2010 at 05:26 PM.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I just noticed a significant (1/4") crack in my right page forward button, and another tiny one starting just below it.

Since I prefer the touch swipe for silent page turns, it was a bit of a surprise. Frankly, I think I have only used the right page forward to page through the Library & Document lists. When I do use the buttons in a book, I use the left side.

I got my Nook as part of the Father's Day promotion, with the $50GC, and it came in the new all-paper box, so I thought I was part of the "new" batch of Nooks that would avoid this problem.

That's aweful. I'm trying to hold off for an announcement from B&N to see when the new nook is coming out. One of the main reasons is I don't trust that they actually fixed the cracked button problem. This post is confirming my wariness to by the current version. I just hope they really do fix this problem in the 2nd generation model.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Yah, I am very concerned about that too so I've been using the swipe for turning the pages to avoid fatigue of the bezel. Even though I got the Nook only 1 month ago, I noticed the firmware off the box was V1.2 so I am suspecting that I got an older model. Hopefully it will hold up.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Yah, I am very concerned about that too so I've been using the swipe for turning the pages to avoid fatigue of the bezel. Even though I got the Nook only 1 month ago, I noticed the firmware off the box was V1.2 so I am suspecting that I got an older model. Hopefully it will hold up.
That's very interesting Rebo. If I do buy the current nook I'll definately look on the box to see what firmware version it is.

simplyparticular- Do you know what firmware version was on your nook box?
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinks View Post
simplyparticular- Do you know what firmware version was on your nook box?
I don't know what the box says (I'm at work, box is at home), but it definitely had 1.2 installed. When I turned it on for the first time after charging it up, it downloaded the 1.3 upgrade, and then the 1.4 upgrade. I remember being annoyed I couldn't use play with my new Nook for around half an hour.
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
I don't know what the box says (I'm at work, box is at home), but it definitely had 1.2 installed. When I turned it on for the first time after charging it up, it downloaded the 1.3 upgrade, and then the 1.4 upgrade. I remember being annoyed I couldn't use play with my new Nook for around half an hour.
1.2 installed? oooh sounds like they sent you an earlier model.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Any Nook that had 1.2 on it when purchased is old stock. I have had mine since Feb so far have had no cracking issues at all. I wonder if it is a matter of how the buttons are pushed. ie pushing directly on top of the arrow instead of to the edge.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
simplyparticular
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdfry View Post
Any Nook that had 1.2 on it when purchased is old stock. I have had mine since Feb so far have had no cracking issues at all. I wonder if it is a matter of how the buttons are pushed. ie pushing directly on top of the arrow instead of to the edge.
Well, that is what the store had. And it was in one of the newer (non-plastic) boxes.

I hardly use the buttons, especially the right side. I usually hold in my left and touchswipe with my left thumb. If I'm in the Library or Documents, I use the left buttons. I'm not a lefty, but I like to keep my right hand free when I'm reading.

I have contacted B&N, with no resolution yet. Update in my OP.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
PaulGuy
Zealot
PaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enoughPaulGuy will become famous soon enough

Device: GDX, K2i, K3 3G, nook wi-fi
Quote:
Update: I contacted B&N on Tuesday night, but they said my B&N account didn't have address information on it, just a name and email, and they would contact me in 24 hours when my account updated across the system. I never got a call back yesterday or this morning, so I'll be calling this afternoon or evening.

+++

Well I bought a Wi-Fi only nook early last month at my local B&N and immediately didn't like the the feel of the right hand page forward button. You had to push it in further (that's how it felt) to click to the next page. After a few days of still finding it annoying I returned it for an exchange. My suspicion is that button may have cracked after awhile. The second one seems fine.
PaulGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
Well I bought a Wi-Fi only nook early last month at my local B&N and immediately didn't like the the feel of the right hand page forward button. You had to push it in further (that's how it felt) to click to the next page. After a few days of still finding it annoying I returned it for an exchange. My suspicion is that button may have cracked after awhile. The second one seems fine.
Ha! That actually happened to my left forward button. I did send it back also. It just didn't feel right and not as responsive for me. Sometimes I have to press it twice for it to work. It also made a "popping" sound when I pressed it. My new one doesn't have the same problem though so thank goodness! I am now sticking to finger swiping only.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #11
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Don't overrate button cracking. Out of much more than a half million sold nook there were how many cracked devices? 50? 100?
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
simplyparticular
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by :D ominik View Post
Don't overrate button cracking. Out of much more than a half million sold nook there were how many cracked devices? 50? 100?
Where did the half a million number come from? I haven't seen B&N release sales figures.

Just the B&N forums alone have hundreds of people who have had cracked buttons.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Quote:
Where did the half a million number come from? I haven't seen B&N release sales figures.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/30/bu...nook.html?_r=1

Quote:
Just the B&N forums alone have hundreds of people who have had cracked buttons.
In my opinion there are 30 to 40 users. It seems to be much more due to the fact that every user with a cracked nook posts in every cracked-nook-thread "mine was cracked, too"...

I don't even believe B&N's statements, that they changed something in the production. There ARE new nooks with cracked buttons, too. I think there's a fault in the material once in a while, which causes the cracking.
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
simplyparticular
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by :D ominik View Post
In my opinion there are 30 to 40 users. It seems to be much more due to the fact that every user with a cracked nook posts in every cracked-nook-thread "mine was cracked, too"...

I don't even believe B&N's statements, that they changed something in the production. There ARE new nooks with cracked buttons, too. I think there's a fault in the material once in a while, which causes the cracking.
Interesting on the stats, although I don't always believe consultants - they're trying to sell someone something!

It strikes me as odd that B&N would have a CSR response statement and RMA process for button cracking if it were only 30 or 40. On the other hand, it is probably less than 1% of all Nooks sold or there would be a lot more griping. Both CSRs I spoke to told me that the new Nook I would receive had a design change - the first guy was vague but the other said there is now a thin piece of metal behind the buttons to prevent the plastic flexing.

I've taken it out of the JAVOEdge case that I was using, because it *may* have made me push the outer edge of the button rather than the whole button. Still shouldn't have cracked with how little I use the buttons, but I don't really want to crack the left one, since the right one pinches me if I try to use it.

I do need to use them to pick books!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
denisek
denisek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic, HTC Incredible, Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGuy View Post
I've had my nook since February. The right page turn button feels and sounds terrible. I just thought it was the way it is suppose to be. I just tried a nook in Best Buy and the button didn't make any sound.
I am afraid of getting a cracked button.

I emailed B&N and they replied that I have to call them.

Any one get one replaced without a cracked button?
denisek is offline   Reply With Quote