Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #1
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Beta Test of new Kobo Driver

Hi

I am looking for brave users to beta test a new Kobo driver for Calibre. This driver displays all the books on the device (delivered 100 free books, ePubs and PDFs).

More importantly, it allow you to delete books properly (at least I think so). It removes all database references, book files (pdf and ePub) and image files.

It was developed on Linux on the Beta branch of Calibre. See:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82755

For details on how to download the beta version. If you are a current Calibre user be aware that this version upgrades your Calibre database and you cannot go backwards (read the entire reference thread for details).

So, you are testing a beta driver on beta software. You should be very afraid ;-)

How to proceed:

1) Download and install calibre-0.6.95
2) Start Calibre
3) In preferences go to Plugins and disable the current Kobo driver
4) Add the attached kobo_plugin.zip
5) Close calibre

6) Attach your Kobo to the computer
7) Completely backup the device (including the hidden .kobo directory). You are mostly concerned with .kobo/KoboReader.sqlite and .kobo/images but any ePubs or PDFs should be backed up as well

8) Start Calibre
9) Verify that all the books are listed (on my test system 15 to 30 seconds seems about right to list the books)
10) Attempt to delete a book. I would start with a pdf or epub and finish with a kobo book. It can take some time to delete a book (5 to 20 seconds).

As far as I know, this is the first software to allow you to delete/manage books on a kobo.

There are no guarantees. I will offer assistance where I can and review bug reports. I am not responsible for your library, what you delete, what you lose... Make sure you have a full backup and you are comfortable with how to recover or do not try this.

That being said, expect limited response tonight as I am taking a break to read a little for a change.

Oh, I have done very limited tested on Windows (listed and deleted a book) but as above, it was developed on Linux. Also, I have the Canadian verion (not sure it matters)

If it causes an issue, simply disable the plugin and re-enable the delivered driver.

Tim

The latest version of the plugin will always be in this message until it ships with Calibre
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobo-plugin.zip (5.3 KB, 741 views)

Last edited by timlegge; 06-21-2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Updated the plugin file with a new version
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
marnom
Enthusiast
marnom began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
So far, it works nicely with calibre-0.6.96 on Windows.
marnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 05:24 AM   #3
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnom View Post
So far, it works nicely with calibre-0.6.96 on Windows.
Shouldn't that be 0.6.95????

Anyway, I get the following error when I try to import the ZIP file. (My OS is WIN 7 64 bit)

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ImportError</b>:cannot import name isbytestring

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\config\__init__.py", line 545, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 284, in add_plugin
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\ui.py", line 67, in load_plugin
File "<string>", line 341, in <module>
ImportError: cannot import name isbytestring

Cheers
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Under Vista / 64 bit, using 6.96 I do not see any of the preloaded books.

I also get an error when trying to view completed jobs (but this is probably a Calibre error, and a ticket has been openned).

ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'QTableView' object has no attribute 'show_details'

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\jobs.py", line 315, in show_details
AttributeError: 'QTableView' object has no attribute 'show_details'
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Under Vista / 64 bit, using 6.96 I do not see any of the preloaded books.
6.96 does not by default include the new kobo driver. Did you install the new plugin as described in the first post?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes I did... I disabled the original driver and added in the new one.

When I go to Plugins I see "Kobo Reader Device Interface (1.0.0)" greyed out; and "Kobo Reader Device Interface - NEW (1.0.0)" in Green.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Now this is weird! For the heck of it I tried "calibre-debug -g" and I now SEE the 100 free books listed!

Heck; now it is working however I launch Calibre!

Guess this quirk can be put to bed.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
Now this is weird! For the heck of it I tried "calibre-debug -g" and I now SEE the 100 free books listed!

Heck; now it is working however I launch Calibre!

Guess this quirk can be put to bed.
So after you run calibre-debug -g once can you go back and run Calibre normally?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Now... trying to drop a Kobo book I get

Code:
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 58, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 308, in _delete_books
  File "<string>", line 256, in delete_books
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found
Same error happens on an ePub.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
timlegge
Addict

Quote:

Code:

Okay, it looks like I will have to test with the 0.6.96 version. My test was with 0.6.95 and the newer version came out later.

Tim
Old 06-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #11
mylesau
Enthusiast
mylesau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I have the same error but posted it in the other thread. Looks very promising Tim - great work
mylesau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
timlegge
Addict

Quote:

Code:

Try using the attached plugin file. I think I know what is happening. I have a SD card installed and never thought of testing without one

Tim

I removed the plugin. I will always attach the latest to the first message in this thread.

Last edited by timlegge; 06-08-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Removed plugin
Old 06-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Well it looks to have worked; but wow.... not speedy!

Dropping Aesop's Fables took close to 2 minutes.

Will do more testing as soon as battery recharges
Old 06-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
I am using Linux , Ubuntu 10.4, installed on the desktop the beta
calibre version , added the new plugin as indicated in the above post

As this is all a test , a little apprehensive about using it .. I have one purchased book , it is what needs back up ..

Will be following the posts

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #15
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Well it looks to have worked; but wow.... not speedy!

Dropping Aesop's Fables took close to 2 minutes.

Will do more testing as soon as battery recharges
Perfect. Yes, it is slow not that much usually. The database deletes are slow' I did notice on a mac yesterday that disabling the antivirus onaccess checks of the sqlite database made a big difference.

Tim