Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #46
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Well, hopefully amazon will revive their DX line with this. Probably the only way we'll get a more useful size screen.

Everyone touted how fabulous the iRiver Story HD is, but that never took off. Stuff has to be practical in day-to-day use given all of the other choices that exist.

Last edited by SCION; 11-23-2011 at 12:18 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #47
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
You have to start somewhere...
This.
Colour eink is just coming out right now. In 3-5 years from now, it will be way further. And cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
No reflective display is ever going to have the contrast that active (or backlit) displays have.
And this.
I'm completely ok with less vibrant colours (compared to a backlit LCD screen), as long as it is light and the battery lasts weeks (compared to hours). As for apps: reading, light surfing and emails is basically enough. If there is more, even better.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #48
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
Is it? There are 6-inch e-readers below 200 grams. This is twice the weight of Sony T1. For some people it might not matter, but I do feel the difference.
Oh, I was comparing it to other color display reading devices as well, not just e-ink ereaders:

Code:
Sony Reader WiFi			5.9 oz
Samsung Galaxy Note 			6.3 oz
Kobo Touch 				6.5 oz
iRiver Story HD 			7.30 oz
Nook Touch 				7.48 oz
Kindle Touch (3G) 			7.5 oz (7.8 oz)
Hanlin V3				8.1 oz
Kindle Keyboard (3G) 			8.5 oz (8.7 oz)
Kyobo eReader 				11.9 oz
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus 		12.2 oz
Nook Tablet 				14.1 oz
Kobo Vox 				14.2 oz
Kindle Fire 				14.6 oz
HTC Flyer 				14.8 oz
Blackberry Playbook 			15.0 oz
Nook Color 				15.8 oz
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 			15.8 oz
Kindle DX 				18.9 oz
Ectaco JetBook Color 			19.5 oz
Asus Transformer Prime 			20.6 oz
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 		21.0 oz
iPad 2 (3G) 				21.3 oz (21.6 oz)
TouchPad 				26.1 oz

Last edited by pata; 11-23-2011 at 05:45 PM.
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #49
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
OK, next time I'll be more precise. I just never thought to compare the weight of 6-inchers and 10-inchers.
idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #50
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Weight - <shrug> I use a Hanlin V3 (8.1 oz) with a cover (1.5 oz). I'm use to 9.6 oz already. I can handle another 2 -3 oz.

As to screen size. 5.7 inch is from their pilot production line. Their big Fab is slated to go on-line in late 2012. I expect at that time other size formats will become available.

I suspect if you took off the touch scdreen, and the LED front light, you'd get the weight down to the Hanlin V3 level...

Last edited by Greg Anos; 11-23-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #51
Burgher
Connoisseur
Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Burgher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Entourage eDGe
Just made a comparison of the screen with frontlight turned on and off:
Burgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #52
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Good one!
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #53
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
The future no doubt. Should be great right now for reading, comic viewing and as a photo frame.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:59 PM   #54
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle View Post
Ugh. Not for me, then.
A 200-pages hardcover weights about 400g. Why people these days cry so much when they are presented such new marvels... perhaps we should go back and live in cellars and read old dusty tomes... people didn't complain then.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-24-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #55
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
A 200-pages hardcover weights about 400g. Why people these days cry so much when they are presented such new marvels... perhaps we should go back and live in cellars and read old dusty tomes... people didn't complain then.
Sure they did. It probably went something like this:

Scribe #1: Did you see this new "book" thing?

Scribe #2: Yeah, small, isn't it?

Scribe #1: And all the pages are in one place! All together!

Scribe #2: Ooof! It's really heavy.

Scribe #1: Too heavy! Not for me! Even though I have to carry my Bible in a basket, I'm sticking with scrolls!

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-24-2011 at 04:43 PM.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #56
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The display is a 5.7" diagonal, 1024x768 pixel (223ppi) full colour display. More info about the ebook reader and the display are at the mirasol website.

Touchscreen, colour, scrolling, video, weeks of battery life, and a built-in 'front light', so it can be used in low-light levels.

$310. Kyobo Platinum club members can purchase for $265.

I wonder who'll be the first to use the display in a ebook reader available in the rest of the world?

Unlike The Digital Reader, I think people will pay more for a device with a reflective, hi-res, high speed colour display that gives weeks of battery life.
With the cheapest Kindle at $80, for those who just want to read, and a Kindle Fire at $200 for those who want colour, magazines, comics, video, etc..., how large a market is there in between?
How many people who have to have both eInk-like outdoor performance and colour in the same device?
It isn't as good as eInk in some ways (eg battery life), and it isn't as good as the LCD displays in other (eg contrast).
It seems like a technology that has arrived several years too late.
Five years ago this would have been incredible. Now ... ehh.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:02 PM   #57
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
With the cheapest Kindle at $80, for those who just want to read, and a Kindle Fire at $200 for those who want colour, magazines, comics, video, etc..., how large a market is there in between?
How many people who have to have both eInk-like outdoor performance and colour in the same device?
It isn't as good as eInk in some ways (eg battery life), and it isn't as good as the LCD displays in other (eg contrast).
It seems like a technology that has arrived several years too late.
Five years ago this would have been incredible. Now ... ehh.
You're conflating different topics and misdirecting your criticism:
  • First, the technology, mirasol, is simply in a different category from e-ink right now. Mirasol is more akin to OLED/SAMOLED which also has its own tradeoffs compared to LCD—which haven't stopped it from doing alright in the marketplace. Once Qualcomm has their factory up and running (mid-2012) they could easily be supplying the screen for next generation of the Kindle Fire.
  • Second, this device isn't competing with the Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire simple because Amazon isn't selling those Kindles in S. Korea and Kyobo isn't selling their eReader in the USA. Kyobo is the S. Korean version of B&N (sidenote: if B&N released this device as the Nook Color+ for $260, do you think it would flop?) and the comparison should to to devices like the Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus or 7.7 which start at $400. The Kybodo ereader is for all intents and purposes an Android tablet with a custom launcher; it has slightly better hardware specs than the Kobo Vox. For the price, I imagine it's quite competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Is i tme, or contrast is somewhat underwhelming and viewing angle simply poor? I expected much more from this technology.... =/

I noticed some more details from that video. It appears English will be an option for the system menu...

Has Kyobo stated which file formats are supported out of the box?
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #58
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
I noticed some more details from that video. It appears English will be an option for the system menu...
That would seal the deal for me.

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-25-2011 at 03:16 AM. Reason: fixed the quote tags
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:16 AM   #59
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Considering that most users aren't aware, that 80$ K4 has cheapo screen, probably not many would even hear about its existance..

I personally WOULD be interested, if not PRS-700 style "builtl in light".
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #60
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
[*]Second, this device isn't competing with the Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire simple because Amazon isn't selling those Kindles in S. Korea and Kyobo isn't selling their eReader in the USA.
The post I was responding to finished: "I wonder who'll be the first to use the display in a ebook reader available in the rest of the world?

Unlike The Digital Reader, I think people will pay more for a device with a reflective, hi-res, high speed colour display that gives weeks of battery life."

I was addressing that question.

Quote:
Kyobo is the S. Korean version of B&N (sidenote: if B&N released this device as the Nook Color+ for $260, do you think it would flop?)
Well none of us have seen it, but given the information posted in this thread, yes I think it would flop at that price. Competing with the Fire and existing NC2, it is worse at being a tablet, and competing with the eInk readers it is worse at being a reader. Again, my question is how much of a market is there in between those two products? How many people buying a tablet would accept a poorer tablet to get some eInk like properties?

Something which was as good as eInk at reading, and as good as LCD at being a tablet could be a market changer, but this doesn't seem to be there yet.

Why would you buy this rather than a Fire/NC2/Vox? And how many other people would do the same?
Quote:
and the comparison should to to devices like the Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus or 7.7 which start at $400.
With only 2GB of memory, no GPS, front or back camera, and so on? I don't think so.

Last edited by murraypaul; 11-25-2011 at 05:11 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote