Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
CSS Styles From InDesign 5.5 Export Problem

I've been having this problem, and was wondering if other have run in to it. When I export my epub from InDesign, it makes a bunch of styles for the same thing.

For example my header style is

Quote:
header
{
font-size: 1.5 em;
font-weight: bold;
margin-bottom: 0.5em;
}
but then for every chapter, it creates a new style, even though it does the same thing. So my CSS comes out looking like:

Quote:
header
{
}

header-1
{
}

header-2
{
}
header-3
{
}
It does this for all my styles, so my CSS is very cluttered when using 5.5, I have resorted to using CS4 because I didn't have this problem.

Any suggestions on what might be causing this. Just for reference, I create a chapter, and make all the styles for it. I then pour each chapter into the same file and save it as a new name. So I'm not sure if thats what is giving me all the multiple styles or if its something else.

Thanks in advance for any help.
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I haven't come accross that but it sounds like you answered your own question.
Try loading styles or syncing instead.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

So I've also tried loading styles for each chapter, I get the same problem. InDesign seems to make a new style for every different chapter the style is used in, even though they are exactly the same. For a 20 chapter book, my CSS is a complete mess.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I don't have 5.5. I use 5 so I can't replicate your problem. However, you seem to be alone with it otherwise there would be more posts about it.
Have you tried doing the whole book as one file. That's what I do now.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
SamL
I mess around with Epubs

I actually just found this blog this morning where it mentions this problem and how to avoid it.

So incase anyone else runs in to this...

http://www.creativeprogression.com/t...to-the-rescue/
Advert