Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 04-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
So who's staying XPut?

what are your reasons for keeping XP?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Hmmm. Let's see...

I like running a compromised app that _will_ be hacked? no.
I actually think a 12 year old operating system knows how to work with modern hardware and software? no.
I enjoy waiting 4x longer than my Win8 buddies to boot? NO!
I like the thought that I won't have to worry about installing any more Tuesday patches.
Yup, that's it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have an old XP tower system that I use as a network file server. It has no internet connection and is behind a firewall. I see no reason whatsoever to stop using it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hmmm. Let's see...
I like running a compromised app that _will_ be hacked? no.
I actually think a 12 year old operating system knows how to work with modern hardware and software? no.
I enjoy waiting 4x longer than my Win8 buddies to boot? NO!
I like the thought that I won't have to worry about installing any more Tuesday patches.
Yup, that's it.
You forgot about having zeroe day every day
Old 04-14-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have an old XP tower system that I use as a network file server. It has no internet connection and is behind a firewall. I see no reason whatsoever to stop using it.
Yeah, the only one I'm keeping on xp is incapable of W7/8 and came preloaded with MS Office 2007 and Adobe Ill. CS3 but no disks!
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #6
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

it was actually hi-powered for its day, some one upgraded it to xp from ME
Old 04-14-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
What is "XPut"?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The reason I bought this particular system is because Dell continued selling XP on a few systems for quite a while after everyone else was only selling Vista, which I was wary of at the time.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
What is "XPut"?
Staying put with Windows XP . A linguistic pun not at all easily understandable to non-native English speakers.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
What is "XPut"?
some one made that up, it means you aren't upgrading or using a differant OS and staying put with XP
Old 04-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #11
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

took to long
Old 04-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Aha. Thanks, Harry and Glorfindel (and put me on your list!).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

of staying XPut? ok
Old 04-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Well, my backup computer is Windows XP. It only has a Gig of memory so it is not really suitable for upgrade. Still works fine but takes a while to boot.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf

with the last update W8 can be installed on systems with one GB of RAM and a 1 GHZ CPU... not that it'ed be ideal but with some more RAM it would run fine