Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
iPad/Kindle which will change reading

BBC Link to Rory.com

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...h_will_ch.html

Quote:
Is the new Kindle the device that will finally make e-books mainstream, converting real book-lovers to reading in a digital format? The jury is still out on this one, but I think Amazon has a better chance of making this happen than Apple. And that's despite a little experiment I've conducted which suggests the opposite.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I agree. Amazon will be the major force in eBook publishing -- just not via the kindle. A year from now this won't even be a debate. Apple will have sold 20 million iPad's, and probably another 10 to 20 million android based slates will have been sold.

And Amazon will happily be the seller of the most ebooks.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I think it was the psychologist Abraham Masslow who writes: "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you'll see every problem as a nail."

The iPad and the Kindle do different things. An iPod is a much better device for listening to music than the iPad although it can do music, and the Kindle, Sony, etc., are better for reading books.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I'm not hoping for either one to change reading. It is the same reading, different storage method.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I think it was the psychologist Abraham Masslow who writes: "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you'll see every problem as a nail."

The iPad and the Kindle do different things. An iPod is a much better device for listening to music than the iPad although it can do music, and the Kindle, Sony, etc., are better for reading books.
My iPad is my main reading device, but a lot of the commercial eBooks I buy I buy from Amazon, and read using the Kindle App on the iPad. iPad sales boost Amazon's eBook sales.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Paragraph 1
Quote:
Is the new Kindle the device that will finally make e-books mainstream, converting real book-lovers to reading in a digital format?
Paragraph 7
Quote:
But I'm going to ignore the findings of my focus group - and stick by my belief that Amazon's device has a better chance of transforming the publishing industry than Apple's.
I think converting people to ebooks and transforming the publishing industry are two separate things.

Quote:
In a recent post [an author] says that Amazon's platform is many times more important to him than Apple's new online book store: "I sell 200 ebooks a day on Kindle. On iPad, I sell 100 a month."
Well DUH. The iPad hasn't been out very long, and Kindle books can be read on a variety of devices.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
To each their own, but I own an iPad and I would never, ever consider doing any serious reading on it. Web-browsing and the occasional online article from the Economist, FT, or news sites, sure. But books? Not on an LCD screen...

I think the majority of people who read A LOT will stay with dedicated reader. E-ink has big advantages in terms of eye-strain. But I do know that LCDs bother some less than others (they obviously bother me a lot...) and I know that people who read a lot are a rare breed, nowadays.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I read four or five books each two weeks on my iPad. At home and travelling. Same with my work colleague. The screen is crisp and fantastic. I read on the couch, on the plane and in hotels. The Kindle has good points too but I already have an iPad so why would I get both.
Right now the iBook store is not shaping up but I see Jobs sorting that out before Xmas.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
We already know that the majority of iPad owners on this forum have no problem reading books on it. I've read over 20 so far myself and I could never read a book on my computer.

Lrr
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
As we keep saying, LCD / eInk : it's a Personal Choice .....

I don't like reading books via PC, but I am very well used to looking at an LCD screen at a workstation, certainly better than CRT!!
My main reading device has an eInk screen ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:01 AM   #11
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
The iPad will never reach a mass market price. Apple products don't. They target the upscale. Even the ipod touch is $200 for a new older model (2nd Gen) while they constantly release new ones at a $300 price point.

The Kindle will. It's almost there now, but presumably the next model will break the $100 barrier.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
I think 3 years from now most people will have forgotten LCD tablets even existed.
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
The iPad will never reach a mass market price. Apple products don't. They target the upscale.
How many iPods do you think there are in the world?
If the iPod isn't a mass market device, what tech item is?

I'd argue that dedicated eReaders will never become mass-market items, simply because so many people don't read, and would have no use for them.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_blackfang View Post
I think 3 years from now most people will have forgotten LCD tablets even existed.
I think that in thee years from now Apple will have sold more than 40 million iPads.

I think that in 10 years from now people will have forgotten that eInk ever existed. Something better will have come along that overcomes the obvious disadvantages.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #15
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
I think articles like this are worthless. E-readers aren't going to change reading. If a person wasn't a reader before with paper, then they won't be one now. One has to be a reader first and the device doesn't really matter. Very few will think, "Oh, an electronic reader. I'm a reader."
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote