Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
Mr.X Senior
Mr.X Senior began at the beginning.

Device: None
Unhappy How to HARD RESET jointech JE200

Hi everyone,

I bought JE200 last week and excetly 6 days after, my jointech JE200 could not finish the boot process ( ie. could not boot ). It's stop at JoinTech , first , screen and nothing coule be done. On/Off switch is useless, either soft reset or remove the battery to off the device.

It's seem like need to HARD RESET the device. I had tried so many combination, on/off switch with up arrow, pressing soft reset. Nothing is seem to be helping.

Does any one here know how to HARD RESET this device ?
Mr.X Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Battery removal generally is a hard reset on WinCE5.0 devices. It looks like an OS problem. You could try to flash the firmware again.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Mr.X Senior

Thank Sweetpea, I was told that hard reset could flash the firmware but just wonder how ?
Old 02-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Mr.X Senior

Making a oversea call to tech support at China has helped me to solve the problem.

It's suprising that flashing firmware was a lot easier than I though.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Please share with us the flashing procedure!
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
Mr.X Senior

Tech support gave me the address to download the firmware.
Download and unzip to newly formatted microSD ( Support person's advice was to use smaller than 1GB but I used 2 GB instead ).
Insert and start ( on ) the device.
It boot up from microSD, and I believe the rest everyone knows
Old 02-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
They gave me the address to download the firmware to fix a problem as well and asked me not to pass on the address. I never listen...
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
They gave me the address to download the firmware to fix a problem as well and asked me not to pass on the address. I never listen...
Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...

That is a dangerous procedure because you can create a random file with "nkbin.nb0" as name and you can have serious trouble... [I create some CE 5 plaftorms 4 or 5 years ago... ]
Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
Mr.X Senior

Well, I am wonder, since there is no physical hardware change from JE100 to JE200, will JE200 firmware works on JE100 ?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #10
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...

That is a dangerous procedure because you can create a random file with "nkbin.nb0" as name and you can have serious trouble... [I create some CE 5 plaftorms 4 or 5 years ago... ]
Sorry, "nk.bin" or "eboot.nb0".
Old 02-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #11
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.X Senior View Post
Well, I am wonder, since there is no physical hardware change from JE100 to JE200, will JE200 firmware works on JE100 ?
I would say yes since I was offered both firmware updates for my JE100. I didn't try the JE200 since Ellen's view of the 200 was very dismal.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
Katelyn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I don't understand the problem since it's just link to the official Jointech firmware update page, not an actual file. The firmware for the JE100 is dated 10 Dec 2009 and the JE200 is dated (I believe) 20 Jan 2010.

Jiontech provides this information for those who contact them for support, they just don't notify current owners that is exists. I think you will find that people who own the device and who are having problems appreciate being able to update their firmware - especially since the Restore function doesn't work (Control Panel > Restore).

Or am I misunderstanding your point?
Old 02-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #13
rfog
Guru

I'm referring that if you have those files on disk, and if the current firmware launches boot from those files that aren't the firmware update, you can deal with a non usable system.

Other way you can boot your custom OS from SD instead of flashed one.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
I don't understand the problem since it's just link to the official Jointech firmware update page, not an actual file. The firmware for the JE100 is dated 10 Dec 2009 and the JE200 is dated (I believe) 20 Jan 2010.

Jiontech provides this information for those who contact them for support, they just don't notify current owners that is exists. I think you will find that people who own the device and who are having problems appreciate being able to update their firmware - especially since the Restore function doesn't work (Control Panel > Restore).

Or am I misunderstanding your point?
I agree Katelyn. I think one of the reasons why Jointech hasn't announced the update is because they don't want non-owners to have access to the files. I wrote them the same time I had PM'd you and they sent me the links to the updates. The updates worked well and I am so glad that you gave me a heads up on this.

While the JE series do run Win CE they also have the JTOS. And I think that may have something to do with how Win CE operates. IDK, I am not a programmer. That is just a guess. The main thing is that if the directions are followed, the upgrade should be safe. Another thing to consider that if the user does nothing, then how can the problems be solved? I thnk that whether or not to upgrade to fix problems is up to the owner, not others who may not actually have knowledge of the JE100/JE200 specifically.

Again, Thanks Katelyn for sharing that valuable information ! Just another reason why I love this forum.
One good thing after upgrading my JE200 is that I can actually use my 8gb card. However, it doesn't solve the card not being seen after the system has been put in sleep mode. I had been thinking about putting up an review update on the 200, but I have actually been reading a book for a change. I own quite a few ebook devices and have spent the last couple of weeks updating them all .
So are you happier with your JE100? I saw a post that indicated that you might sell it. I hope not.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
Katelyn
Addict

I did sell it. It wasn't bad at all after the firmware update, just not what I wanted once I played with it. I also sold my Pocketbook 360.

I will get a Pocketbook 302 if the reviews are good when it comes out (I love the folder feature and the software is very solid). I will also get some kind of backlit device - maybe something with a Pixel Qi screen - just have to wait as the year progresses to see what shakes out. My perfect device would be a 6" wireless with Pixel Qi!

Tags
boot, hard reset, je200