Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Will Higher Ebook Prices Increase Library Demand?

I had already migrated away from Amazon to Sony because our library has an extensive EMedia collection. They even have a Ebookmobile that travels around to all the branches demonstrating Ebooks and how to use the EMedia collection.

I see the Macmillan deal increasing demand on libraries to expand their collections. This could be a great turning point for Ereadership.

I don't mind paying for a title I want to read. I resent not being able to pass the book on to a friend or family member to read when I am done. I would rather contibute to the library to acquire the title for the benefit of many rather than pay Amazon so I can read it once.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #2
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Note that Macmillan doesn't do ebook libraries either:

Quote:
“I don’t have to get in my car, go to the library, look at the book, check it out,” said John Sargent, chief executive of Macmillan, which publishes authors like Janet Evanovich, Augusten Burroughs and Jeffrey Eugenides. “Instead, I’m sitting in the comfort of my living room and can say, ‘Oh, that looks interesting’ and download it.”

As digital collections grow, Mr. Sargent said he feared a world in which “pretty soon you’re not paying for anything.” Partly because of such concerns, Macmillan does not allow its e-books to be offered in public libraries.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/15/bo...es.html?src=tp

(In fact, I'm somewhat surprised that they're still OK selling paper books to physical libraries, as the same principals apply!)
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm bumping this thread because I feel that it is important that we ebook readers know that MacMillan does not allow ebooks in public libraries.

Another reason to boycott MacMillan.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I'd say probably so. Where I live, ebooks aren't available from the library, and I've been looking into what it takes to get ebooks from the nearest county library system that offers it.

As far as Macmillan's stance, I don't see how ebooks from the library are any different from paper books from the library. They still are getting paid for each copy, and the reader doesn't pay, unless there is a fine (which, Macmillan would never see anyway). Only real difference, is ebooks lift the possibility of late fees, since they autoexpire, and "return" themselves.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My county has a meager Overdrive ebook selection slightly over 500 ebooks at any one time. The ebooks are almost exclusively best sellers. What I think is funny that only a specific number of copies of an ebook can be checked out. I frequently have to go on a waiting list for new releases. Plus it appears that even though new books are added the total number remains constant so some ebooks are dropped.

I was extremely surprised when I read about MacMillan not allowing their ebooks in libraries.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I guess I am really fortunate. My County Library has a collection of 5000 ebook titles. It has many more wma and mp3 titles.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
"As digital collections grow, Mr. Sargent said he feared a world in which “pretty soon you’re not paying for anything.” Partly because of such concerns, Macmillan does not allow its e-books to be offered in public libraries."

I suspect Mr. Sargent failed kindergarten. You know - sharing and getting along with others.

My Seattle Public library has about 17,000 eBooks:
- half PDF
- one quarter MobiPocket
- one quarter ePub
But, Seattle is a high tax, liberal area, with some of the highest book reading rates in the country.

I think MacMillan will do great - for a while. And then crash. Too much short term thinking, trying to force fit an archaic system on a new environment, and angering customers with self-serving policies.

Unfortunately, Mr.Sargent will be amply rewarded for destroying the future of his company.
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm bumping this thread because I feel that it is important that we ebook readers know that MacMillan does not allow ebooks in public libraries.

Another reason to boycott MacMillan.
OMG. What a terrible corporation. If you don't have enough money to buy our product, NO BOOKS FOR YOU!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
I suspect Mr. Sargent failed kindergarten. You know - sharing and getting along with others.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote