Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #31
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar-PocketBooker View Post
Yes, absolutely. I do have some of them (webster, collins and oxford) running on my PB. To tell you the truth, somebody sent me those dictionaries and I jsut drag-and-dropped them to my PB.
Maybe, Forosigan can explain this better, how it works.
Can you share where to get the Oxford dictionary? I have the Webster 1913 dictionary mentioned in this thread and it is useless. My Sony readers have lovely dictionaries and I miss them on the Pocketbook.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #32
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Can you share where to get the Oxford dictionary? I have the Webster 1913 dictionary mentioned in this thread and it is useless. My Sony readers have lovely dictionaries and I miss them on the Pocketbook.

-Marcy
Same here. I don't really mind paying for a dictionary either.

While googling I found this interesting post about dictionaries in epub: http://beranger.tumblr.com/post/4330...y-epub-english
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #33
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
I managed to get a lit dictionary english-spanish, and converted it to txt. I'll try tonight if this works.

Not worked, I'm not sure what is the fault, but the converter did not work. could it be on Vista's fault?

Last edited by anabelee; 05-26-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: experiment failed
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #34
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anabelee View Post
I managed to get a lit dictionary english-spanish, and converted it to txt. I'll try tonight if this works.
Yes please
Did you download my translation for the last firmware version?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #35
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
Not yet, and have not tried the dictionary... maybe tonight. Hope it works, I'll keep you informed.
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 06:29 AM   #36
Galina
Enthusiast
Galina began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post

-Marcy
Marcy, I was astonished to read that you have "lovely" dictionaries on a Sony reader. So far, I wasn't able to find out (either by Google or Sony website) what dictionary formats a Sony reader even supports. Nor did I found a hint to how to add dictionaries to Sony reader. Would you be more specific, please?

Galina
Galina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #37
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galina View Post
Marcy, I was astonished to read that you have "lovely" dictionaries on a Sony reader. So far, I wasn't able to find out (either by Google or Sony website) what dictionary formats a Sony reader even supports. Nor did I found a hint to how to add dictionaries to Sony reader. Would you be more specific, please?

Galina
It came with the readers, pre-installed. I don't know what format it is or what dictionary it is. All I know is that I tap a word and the definition comes up. And a good definition, not the crap ones from Webster 1913. Plus it automatically redirects varied formats of the word to the main format, instead of Webster 1913 which will tell you schmooping is performing the act of schmoop or some similar.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #38
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Edited:

Created my own topic!

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 04-13-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #39
krjrs
krjrs began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360
Having lingvo x3 mobile *.lsd dictionarises (english - german -> polish) - can I convert them into compatible with pocketbook 360 (no matter, official or un-official way) ? could someone help to make working version of it?
krjrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #40
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
I'd be interested in Italian>English, Italian>Italian, and German>English or German>German.
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #41
batgirl
Enthusiast
batgirl doesn't litterbatgirl doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook360
I found Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th edition somewhere on the web and converted it using the dictionary converter. It's not great but it is better than the 1913 dictionary.
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #42
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Sounds good, batgirl. If you can do it with one dict, you can do it with any, I would think. It would be great if we could share these things, even for a fee. Are there reasons for not doing so, I wonder?
Old 05-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #43
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
User-created dictionaries are welcome and it's desirable if we can load them up here. The paid dictionaries supplied by Lingvo are only one choice, and if we users can develop other alternatives, Pocketbook is to accept them.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #44
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
When the dictionaries are free or in the public domain, there is no reason not to share them. We will feature dictionaries on our newly designed website.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:41 AM   #45
mdmorrissey
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
When the dictionaries are free or in the public domain, there is no reason not to share them. We will feature dictionaries on our newly designed website.
That will be great. I am expecting my PB on Tuesday and can't wait to get started. Actually all dictionaries, most anyway, should be public domain since the actual information in them hardly varies. Furthermore, as in most other areas these days, there is so much freely available info on the internet that trying to copyright basic knowledge such as definitions, etymologies and translations of individual words seems not only antiquated but even immoral. The only thing that could be proprietary, I would think, would be the format and presentation, but here too the tendency is toward openness, which I think is great. PB seems to have a similar philosophy, concentrating on trying to create the best hardware to handle as many open sources and content as possible, which is one big reason I decided to buy it.

Last edited by mdmorrissey; 05-23-2010 at 04:51 AM.