Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
lomofirefly
lomofirefly began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Smile Upgrading from Nook Simple Touch need help and direction

Hello everyone I am from the US and am currently using a nook simple touch that was gifted to me from my mother (she recently upgraded to a Kindle fire)

I am looking to upgrade soon but am unsure which direction to go in. I dont really want to be married to a Kindle or Nook honestly. I dont buy my ebooks from just one place. I have been looking at the Kobo, Bookeen Cybook Muse, Pocketbook Lux and a few Sonys. I have looked on amazon and ebay those are the only two sites I know of to find the pocketbook, I checked for the Bookeen but came up empty thankfully there actual site ships to the US.

I would like to keep the cost down to at least $100 if possible so I can spend a little on a case as well, I am looking for a device that will last me many years (hopefully) a frontlight would be great but its not a must have, I usually read with the light on, a lamp or I can use my little portable light like I have been using on my nook. Also wifi is nice but not a must have either since I am used to moving my books to my nook with a usb.

Basically I would like a light weight reader that is at least 6 inches screen wise and easy to read....I wear glasses I dont want my eyes getting any worse

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lomofirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Given your requirements, I'd take a serious look at the Kobo Touch 2.0. The cost is below $100, and if you order from Chapters (which is the link I gave above) you can take advantage of our painfully low Canadian Dollar. (Currently trading at $0.69 US).

Another option would be the Kobo Glo HD. If ordered from Chapters it would come to about $90 US. It has a much better screen then the Touch 2.0, and has the best-in-class Kobo frontlight system.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
lomofirefly

Thank you very much I am looking at them right now.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #4
lomofirefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomofirefly View Post
Thank you very much I am looking at them right now.
Edit: Also something i have noticed with the nook simple touch is eye strain is there a reader that helps alleviate this problem? I know that the NST is e-ink, is that the best?

As you can see I am mostly a book reader this is my first experience with e-readers.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
People's responses on "the best" screen to avoid eyestrain vary widely. I will state however that yours is the first report I've read of eyestrain while using an e-ink reader.

I will say however that the Kobos have the best range of options for customizing the text of an e-book. It may be that a change in size, line spacing, or even the font itself would help you. Or, if you go for the Glo HD, you may find that having a built in light is an improvement.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
lomofirefly

Thank you! Oh great my eye strain probably means I need a trip to the eye doctor then :/ LOL

I wish there were more e-readers or at least places available to actually handle ereaders outside of Kindle/Nooks there aren't many available in the US. I thought about a tablet but honestly I want the longer battery plus not being bothered with email or notifications is nice especially at night or on vacation.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
If the Nook St gives you eye-strain, then you'll get it with all e-readers. E-ink tech hasn't improved all that much since the Nook ST. Don't get a tablet. They are far worse for eye-strain. Do you use computers a lot? That can cause it (it does for me). I tend to borrow paper books from the library and get them cheap from abebooks these days.

For an e-reader, I'd suggest a Kobo Aura H20. The screen is a bit bigger and it has a good in-built light that will help the eye-strain a bit. E-ink works better with good lighting. Make sure you always read on e-ink with a very good light source.

Also the Aura H20 is pretty friendly when it comes to reading books from other sources. But be careful with it. There are reports of it being more fragile than a 6" screen.

You could get the Kobo Glo HD. It has all the benefits of the H2O but is only 6" and cheaper.

You could also get the new Nook and root it, but that's only if you're confident doing that kind of stuff.

I suppose you could get a Kindle and buy from other sources, convert the books using Calibre, then side-load them onto the Kindle. The Kindle's are getting increasingly restrictive, so that's something to be aware of when / if you buy books from Amazon, but there's no reason you couldn't side-load books onto the device bought from other sources. The hardware is good and if it breaks it will be the easiest to replace.

Saying that, the font options are nowhere near as good as the Kobo. The Kobo will allow you to make fonts bold, which I think is very important if you suffer eye-strain. You can alter fonts on the Kindle, but its not at all friendly.

Maybe the Kobo Glo HD is your best bet. Inexpensive with an excellent screen and excellent font options. But if it busts, it would be a hassle dealing with Kobo (via mail). Should be okay of you look after it though. But there is always a chance of a lemon like with any device.

Last edited by Rizla; 01-18-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
lomofirefly

Thanks! I'm leaning towards the Kobo Aura because of all the good reviews, would love the Glo but its a bit more pricy, how does the Kobo touch rank? I keep seeing them they aren't too expensive and I could get a nice case to go with it to protect it.....unless they are not worth it?
Old 01-18-2016, 11:29 PM   #9
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Thanks! I'm leaning towards the Kobo Aura because of all the good reviews, would love the Glo but its a bit more pricy, how does the Kobo touch rank? I keep seeing them they aren't too expensive and I could get a nice case to go with it to protect it.....unless they are not worth it?
The touch is an older generation, so you'll be better off with one of the newer versions. The touch also does not have a front light and the light is worth the extra.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:48 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kobo Glo HD is the one I'd recommend you go with. It's worth the difference in price just to have a clearer easier to read screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:23 AM   #11
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Are you getting your names confused?

The Kobo Aura is a discontinued model with a flat screen and bezel. The display is not as clear as the other Kobo models. I wouldn't touch it.

When you say the Glo, do you mean the old discontinued Glo, or the new Glo HD? The old Glo was a good ereader and can be found cheap on ebay. But it's a bit cheap feeling compared to the Glo HD. PM me if you need a good ebay seller.

Incidentally, to get epubs to display exactly how you want on the Kobos, you will need to install a patch and edit some config files. Not a big deal, but you will need to do some stuff.

On another note, as far as I know, I don't see why you couldn't side-load books onto the new Nook.

Last edited by Rizla; 01-19-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Incidentally, to get epubs to display exactly how you want on the Kobos, you will need to install a patch and edit some config files. Not a big deal, but you will need to do some stuff.
I don't think the OP has told us how they want epubs to display. Plenty of Kobo users (like me) are happy with the options without patching the device.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #13
lomofirefly

Hi, yes I must have been getting the names confused thank yall for the clarification and actually I am interested in epubs or at least thats mostly what I put on my nook other than buying from the nook store.

Since I can't actually hold a Kobo (nowhere around me sells them) can yall tell me which is the most light weight?

Actually yes it was the originally Glo not the HD I was looking at (again because of price) I will pm you.

I plan on using my e-reader the most on vacation, long car rides (my dad literally as driven my family from Texas to Florida in one day it was harsh) and at home

Last edited by lomofirefly; 01-19-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Hi, yes I must have been getting the names confused thank yall for the clarification and actually I am interested in epubs or at least thats mostly what I put on my nook other than buying from the nook store.

Since I can't actually hold a Kobo (nowhere around me sells them) can yall tell me which is the most light weight?

Actually yes it was the originally Glo not the HD I was looking at (again because of price) I will pm you.

I plan on using my e-reader the most on vacation, long car rides (my dad literally as driven my family from Texas to Florida in one day it was harsh) and at home
Well now from Tyler to Panama City in one day wasn't bad. Now if you were any farther west, that is another story.
PS: Odessa Tx to San Diego in one day is harsh too.
Sorry couldn't resist. Now for traveling, I prefer the basic model of whichever ereader you want.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
lomofirefly

HA! I live about 45 minutes away from good ole Tyler.

Technically it was Tyler to Destin Florida and then the next day Orlando (gotta love the Harry Potter adventure park)

I'm starting to wonder if I even need the frontlight to be honest especially considering I already have a clip on light hey gotta save money wherever I can right?