Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2014, 11:17 AM   #136
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
I would never use a "phablet", or anything else which would vibrate and make a noise every time anyone rings, texts, e-mails or whatever me while I am snuggled up all cosy reading a book!
You could switch the device to aeroplane mode.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #137
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
I would never use a "phablet", or anything else which would vibrate and make a noise every time anyone rings, texts, e-mails or whatever me while I am snuggled up all cosy reading a book!
If you don't already have those things on a seperate phone in your pocket or next to you while reading, you probably don't need a cell phone at all.

For the rest of us that do due to necessity or choice, phablets can make a lot of sense.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #138
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
For the rest of us that do due to necessity or choice, phablets can make a lot of sense.
Much as I love my iPad Mini for reading on, it's too big to carry around in my pocket, and I couldn't comfortably read on anything much smaller. For me, therefore, the combination of my 3.5" iPhone 4, and my 7" (or whatever it is) iPad Mini, is ideal. A single device for both functions wouldn't work as well for either.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #139
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I think the word phablet is unlikely to stick around. It won't survive if people in the real world don't use it. It's just a larger sized phone, customers won't see it as a distinct category.
Phablet is a suitably goofy name for an equally goofy gadget.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #140
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I do not see myself using a "phablet". As a matter of fact, I think that all around, multipurpose devices excels on nothing.

If I want a camera, I get a DSLR. If I want a phone, I want a portable phone. If I want an ereader, I get a Kindle PW or an iPad Mini or iPad Air, but something that is good to my eyes and with less distractions as possible.

In my opinion, phablets are too big for being a phone and too small for being an ereader. I know people who loves them, but I think they are too bulky for being a portable device.

Technical books won't display properly on a phablet and that immediately takes that out of the equation, at least for those who read computer books with lines of code and things that require a bigger display.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #141
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Much as I love my iPad Mini for reading on, it's too big to carry around in my pocket, and I couldn't comfortably read on anything much smaller. For me, therefore, the combination of my 3.5" iPhone 4, and my 7" (or whatever it is) iPad Mini, is ideal. A single device for both functions wouldn't work as well for either.
But, as you yourself said, the ipad is too cumbersome to carry around, and I would gather the 3.5" screen is too small to read on. A phablet could solve both problems.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #142
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I do not see myself using a "phablet". As a matter of fact, I think that all around, multipurpose devices excels on nothing.

If I want a camera, I get a DSLR. If I want a phone, I want a portable phone. If I want an ereader, I get a Kindle PW or an iPad Mini or iPad Air, but something that is good to my eyes and with less distractions as possible.

In my opinion, phablets are too big for being a phone and too small for being an ereader. I know people who loves them, but I think they are too bulky for being a portable device.

Technical books won't display properly on a phablet and that immediately takes that out of the equation, at least for those who read computer books with lines of code and things that require a bigger display.
I totally disagree. I also prefer a DSLR over a camera phone, but you know the saying, "the best camera is the one you have with you", and a phone is always in your pocket. Same goes for the eReader, I prefer eInk, but several times I found myself having to wait for something without my eInk device, and my phone came to the rescue. It's "only" 4.8", but serves me well, and I will certainly go larger when it's time to update.

The original phablet phone, the Note, was 5.3" - this is now becoming the norm, with most new phones (well, Android phones, that is), coming out with screens around 5" to 5.5", so what was considered large 2 years ago, is now mainstream. And I, for one, I'm pleased as a phone is both a production and consumption tool and having a larger screen makes things much more comfortable, like reading/replying emails, checking documents on the go, browsing the net and reading books.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #143
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I totally disagree. I also prefer a DSLR over a camera phone, but you know the saying, "the best camera is the one you have with you", and a phone is always in your pocket. Same goes for the eReader, I prefer eInk, but several times I found myself having to wait for something without my eInk device, and my phone came to the rescue. It's "only" 4.8", but serves me well, and I will certainly go larger when it's time to update.

The original phablet phone, the Note, was 5.3" - this is now becoming the norm, with most new phones (well, Android phones, that is), coming out with screens around 5" to 5.5", so what was considered large 2 years ago, is now mainstream. And I, for one, I'm pleased as a phone is both a production and consumption tool and having a larger screen makes things much more comfortable, like reading/replying emails, checking documents on the go, browsing the net and reading books.

Hmm.. "norm" by who, by the market? lol ...

Not because is becoming the norm, means that a 5.5 inches phone is portable, will be 5.5 inches no matter what.

The main issue , in my opinion, is not the size of the device but that people seems to forget about what the main purpose of a cellphone is: making calls. Yes, with smartphones you can do much more than that, but having a 5+ inches devices on you all the time won't change the fact that will barely fit in your pocket or won't be big enough to read some type of books like technical ones. And the more you use it for other purposes, the less battery you will have at the end of the day. And what if you have to make an important call and you are not close to a power outlet?

By the way, I have not seen a cellphone camera that is better than my DSLR . They are getting better and better each year, but still nothing beats my Canon in terms of image's quality.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #144
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
The main issue , in my opinion, is not the size of the device but that people seems to forget about what the main purpose of a cellphone is: making calls.
You couldn't be more off the mark. Making calls is still a feature, but it pales in comparison to all the other things phones do - I wager pretty much anybody spends way more time with their phones on non-call related stuff than on calls - probably even you.

Quote:
... having a 5+ inches devices on you all the time won't change the fact that will barely fit in your pocket
Says you, I carry my 7" Nook HD on my coat pocket. And new phones have tiny bezels, the 5" Nexus 5 is barely larger than the 4.3" phones of yesteryear.

Quote:
By the way, I have not seen a cellphone camera that is better than my DSLR . They are getting better and better each year, but still nothing beats my Canon in terms of image's quality.
Neither have I, but that's not my point, my point is that the best DSLR won't be of much use when you have to take that shot and the camera is sitting in its bag at home, while your phone can save the day.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:17 PM   #145
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Jo I thought the same way you did about the Note 2 until I actually went into the store to physically check it out. What I discovered is that it was light weight, fit comfortably in my small hands, and easily went into any and every pocket that I have.

If you haven't actually checked one out, you don't really know how well it is suited for making calls and lots of other things.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #146
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If I needed a phone, I'm fairly certain I'd get one of the new big-ass ones. I'd just call it something really cool, though. Like "my big-ass phone."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #147
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I find 4.3" perfectly acceptable for reading novels on. And I wouldn't want anything larger than a phablet for reading anymore. One-handed use is a pretty nice thing.

And I fully agree with afv011 on the camera. A phone is not going to replace a DSLR, but many are better than my go-to point and shoot from a few years ago. My next phone will have a better camera for this reason. I have a Micro Four Thirds camera that is very compact for a lens system camera. But it is still too bulky and fragile to take everywhere.

Nobody is claiming that a phablet can be everything to everybody. But just because you don't like them doesn't mean they don't make sense for others. Like what has been said, what once was considered "phablet" size is now mainstream. There are good reasons for that.

Personally, I find the current 5.5+" phablets too large. I'm contemplating an LG G2, which is my absolute limit as far as size goes. But even at 5.2", the G2 is much more pocketable than my first digital cell phone 12 years ago.

Last edited by pl001; 01-21-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #148
pl001
Evangelist

Just for fun I looked up my first cell phone, a Qualcomm QCP-1920 circa ~2001 if I remember right:

144 x 48 x 23 mm, 184g

Compared to an LG G2:

138.5 x 70.9 x 8.9 mm, 143g

And a full on phablet Note 3:

146 x 83 x 9.7 mm, 178g

Point being that a 5"+ device is not too big to function as a phone. I think they are hitting a practical limit though.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #149
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You couldn't be more off the mark. Making calls is still a feature, but it pales in comparison to all the other things phones do - I wager pretty much anybody spends way more time with their phones on non-call related stuff than on calls - probably even you.

Says you, I carry my 7" Nook HD on my coat pocket. And new phones have tiny bezels, the 5" Nexus 5 is barely larger than the 4.3" phones of yesteryear.

Neither have I, but that's not my point, my point is that the best DSLR won't be of much use when you have to take that shot and the camera is sitting in its bag at home, while your phone can save the day.
Actually no ...

I mostly use my phone for phone related activities only. Maybe 10 to 20 min during the day to read the news.

I am a DBA. I am 24/7 on call, all the time, so I need my phone to make phone calls, not read, not to play games. If I get a phone call at 8pm and I am running out of battery because I spend the whole day reading a book or playing games, and it's work related stuff, I may be in big trouble if I can't finish the conversation and/or find a way to charge my phone.

And sorry, but a 7 inches tablet is not portable by any means. It may fit on a suit, front pocket or a big jean's pocket, but not something that you may carry around all day (I used to own a Galaxy Tab by the way). If we were talking about a device that we can fold, but we may be few years away from that yet.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-21-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #150
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Jo I thought the same way you did about the Note 2 until I actually went into the store to physically check it out. What I discovered is that it was light weight, fit comfortably in my small hands, and easily went into any and every pocket that I have.

If you haven't actually checked one out, you don't really know how well it is suited for making calls and lots of other things.
Glad it works for you, but it is big indeed.

A coworker has that model, it is huge! I also noticed that by 3 or 4pm, he is running out of battery, unless he plugs in to the PC or wall. This is not so common on a smaller cellphone, Android or Apple, if I want to be vendor neutral. Smaller screen, less battery consumption and usually better battery life.

I guess I am old school type of guy, even though I love technology. But I still prefer a portable, smaller device for a cellphone.

But you guys have a point. If I don't have my gun close to me, a Note 2 may be a good way to hit someone on the head and avoid being robbed, lol ...

Last edited by jocampo; 01-21-2014 at 02:15 PM.