Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Oh god, how do I rollback 2.3.2?

I HATE the bookstore, wienlist, reading life, etc, on the homescreen. There appears to be no way to remove these, is it possible to roll back?

Last edited by Anjohl; 12-30-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
I HATE the bookstore, wienlist, reading life, etc, on the homescreen. There appears to be no way to remove these, is it possible to roll back?
What device do you want to rollback and to what firmware version?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, Lobo touch, and to the last one that didn't have that wishlist link on the bottom of the page.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
Sorry, Lobo touch, and to the last one that didn't have that wishlist link on the bottom of the page.
i believe that would be the update before the kobo glo was released...cause the kobo glo always had the wishlist link on the bottom...and i remember reading the touch got that home page soon after the glo was released
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I think that means you want to go back to 1.9.17. But even that has a lot of shop related stuff on the home screen. 2.0.0 and 2.1.1 had a wishlist button on the home. 2.1.5 is the first that has the wishlist across the bottom. Personally, I think 2.3.1 has the least shop related stuff on the home screen. But it does have the reading life.

To go back, you can try using the manual firmware method. This should work OK for recent firmware but I'm not sure about the 1.9.x versions or even 2.0.0. These might need a factory reset. If you do that, use the desktop app to do the sync/upgrade to the device but before disconnecting replace the updated firmware files with those for the firmware you want.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
sysKin
Connoisseur
sysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the endsysKin knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Aura HD, after a train ate my Glo
Perhaps installing the plugin would be a better alternative? It also removes wishlist and other junk from home screen.
sysKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
To go back, you can try using the manual firmware method. This should work OK for recent firmware but I'm not sure about the 1.9.x versions or even 2.0.0. These might need a factory reset. If you do that, use the desktop app to do the sync/upgrade to the device but before disconnecting replace the updated firmware files with those for the firmware you want.
Yes you can go back to 1.9.17. A factory reset is definately recommended before sideloading the firmware although you can go back without doing a reset. I've done it myself but I don't recommend it, your Kobo will develope quirks and the firmware already has enough of those.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
Gaffer
Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Version 1.9.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think that means you want to go back to 1.9.17. But even that has a lot of shop related stuff on the home screen.
I'm still running 1.9.17, and can tell you that's incorrect because I have zero shop related stuff on my home screen. What I see is the covers of my four most recently read titles in the upper 2/3 of the screen and the first four items in my short list across the bottom.

When I first got my touch, I immediately upgraded when I saw that new versions were out up to and including 1.9.17, but from that point forward, I didn't like what I was hearing and decided to wait. Now I've reached the point where I have no expectations of ever upgrading.

The marketing B.S. on the front page would really irritate me. One of the major reasons I bought my touch in the first place was that Kindle was selling a "with advertising" version for $20 less than the same version without, and it really irritated me to think that they put extra software development time into a feature that was designed to either force feed me advertising or make me pay them to stop. Kobo hadn't yet started selling that way, and as I said it was a major factor in my decision to purchase.

I was really disappointed when Kobo started doing the same, and that disappointment didn't lessen when they stopped with the two-tiered price point and decided that everybody would have to get their marketing suggestions, period. Not an issue for me currently, because as I say I'm happy with my current situation.

They've actually done themselves a disservice in my case, because I used to visit the Kobo store, but haven't done so for quite some time because I don't want to risk an automatic upgrade. I read free epubs and check out DRM'd current releases from my library, but I don't go near the Kobo store. When the day comes when I'll have to buy a new reader, I'll be looking for one that doesn't force feed advertising.
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
Anjohl
Zealot

I am with you Gaffer. I have NO desire to see "Wishlist: Empty" every time I "open the cover" of my book to read, nor links to the store. That kind of stuff should be hidden away in a discrete option menu, or the front page interface should be customizable for those that want to be advertised to.

I was ENRAGED after I loaded up my Kobo after the "update". If this means I cannot buy my books on the kobo store, I will be disappointed, but I will not sacrifice my principles, nor downgrade everytime I buy a book.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
I think that means you want to go back to 1.9.17. But even that has a lot of shop related stuff on the home screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
I'm still running 1.9.17, and can tell you that's incorrect because I have zero shop related stuff on my home screen. What I see is the covers of my four most recently read titles in the upper 2/3 of the screen and the first four items in my short list across the bottom.
By default 1.9.17 put recommended reads (i.e. "shop related stuff") in the 'carousel' at the bottom with an option to change it to your shortlist (and something else which I can't remember). Even so there was quite the outcry against it, and quite the outcry when it was subsequently removed. You can please some of the people some of the time...
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
HubbaDubbaDubba
HubbaDubbaDubba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post

When I first got my touch, I immediately upgraded when I saw that new versions were out up to and including 1.9.17, but from that point forward, I didn't like what I was hearing and decided to wait. Now I've reached the point where I have no expectations of ever upgrading.

The marketing B.S. on the front page would really irritate me. One of the major reasons I bought my touch in the first place was that Kindle was selling a "with advertising" version for $20 less than the same version without, and it really irritated me to think that they put extra software development time into a feature that was designed to either force feed me advertising or make me pay them to stop. Kobo hadn't yet started selling that way, and as I said it was a major factor in my decision to purchase.

I was really disappointed when Kobo started doing the same, and that disappointment didn't lessen when they stopped with the two-tiered price point and decided that everybody would have to get their marketing suggestions, period. Not an issue for me currently, because as I say I'm happy with my current situation.

They've actually done themselves a disservice in my case, because I used to visit the Kobo store, but haven't done so for quite some time because I don't want to risk an automatic upgrade. I read free epubs and check out DRM'd current releases from my library, but I don't go near the Kobo store. When the day comes when I'll have to buy a new reader, I'll be looking for one that doesn't force feed advertising.
Still sporting 1.9.14 here. Best homescreen ever on the Kobo Touch. No stupid recommended lists.
HubbaDubbaDubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Why not just use the plugin? It hides all of that commercial stuff and just leaves the book covers on the home screen. It is quite stable and works like a charm. Check it out in the "Kobo Developer's Corner" part of the forum.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
Why not just use the plugin? It hides all of that commercial stuff and just leaves the book covers on the home screen. It is quite stable and works like a charm. Check it out in the "Kobo Developer's Corner" part of the forum.
I don't use it because it doesn't load when you boot up and doesn't enable itself until you open a book (or is it visit the library) either way I have my Kobo set to shut off after 30mins. Having to enable it each time I turn on my Kobo isn't worth it. Basically I figure the Kobo marketeers won't listen to their customers and this won't ever go away so I live with it for now. Like others I am keeping my eye on other ereaders. If someone is willing to do what Kobo isn't and the ereader iself is at least on par with the Kobo, hardware wise, I'm jumping ship. Kobo already gets much less money from my pocket from book purchases, that money now goes to those book stores that actually have a nice working shopping cart. I know it's been at least over a year since people have been asking for one their site and nothing has been done. I don't expect anything less on their move towards less intrusive advertising on the Kobo ereaders themselves.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
I have my Kobo set to shut off after 30mins.
Pretty sure that'll use more battery than letting it sleep all day.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Danger
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Pretty sure that'll use more battery than letting it sleep all day.
Actually it doesn't. People keep saying this but I have yet to see anyone give actual numbers to prove this. Where as I have tried it both ways. Just letting it sleep as opposed to sleep after 15 mins, off after 30. The battery charge lasts me much longer having it turn off. Next time my battery dies I am going to test this again to get actual numbers. Currently I remember getting just over a week in sleep only mode and about 2 weeks or just over on 15-sleep/30-off. Of course that is what I remember not actual documented numbers