Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
This is a set of installers for different versions of the ipdf viewer. It also includes a way of examining which version is currently installed (by examining the file size). Just click on the "Run me to identify the current ipdf" entry in the contentlister.

To use this set of installers:
  1. make sure you have upgraded to version 2.12 of the iliad software
  2. make sure that you have requested shell access (again if you had it before with 2.11 and then upgraded to 2.12)
  3. Unzip this set of installers somewhere, anywhere that you can access with the contentlister.
  4. click on the entry for the version you want
  5. click on "Run me to identify the current ipdf"

Here are the links to the original posts by the people who created these versions. These posts include more details about the features that each version offers:

Please note that the installers check to see which version of the firmware your iliad is running. The current version of the firmware for the iLiad V1 and iLiad V2 is 2.12. The new iLiad Book Edition runs version 2.12.1. You will need to select the correct set of installers for the version installed on your iLiad.

Specical note for Book Edition owners
Please note that this over-writes the installed version of ipdf. In the 2.12 bundle I have included the iRex version for 2.12 so it can be restored. I do not have the 2.12.1 version (which might be exactly the same, I don't know) so I have included the 2.12 version with the 2.12.1 bundle.

I have also created a contentlister entry that will backup the installed ipdf. You can only run this once. I suggest that Book Edition users who have not yet installed any of the community ipdf versions use this option to backup their own Book Edition ipdf before installing any community versions. Once you have run this the contentlister entry will change and will show the file size of the backed-up version.

Once you have done this the contentlister entry to restore the iRex original ipdf will restore the original that came with your Book Edition and not the 2.12 version.

Even better still, if someone with a Book Edition who has not yet installed any community versions of ipdf could use the backup to determine the file size and then post that file size below it will help to determine whether ipdf has changed in version 2.12.1.
The backup is safe to run: it will do nothing to your iliad, it just copies the installed version to the set of installers.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ipdf_installers_v2_12.zip (1.24 MB, 2805 views)
File Type: zip ipdf_installers_v2.12.1.zip (1.24 MB, 2090 views)

Last edited by daudi; 08-14-2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added two more versions and improved detection of current version
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Daudi, I've copied your post into the software releases forum so it's easy for everyone to find.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:51 AM   #3
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Daudi, I've copied your post into the software releases forum so it's easy for everyone to find.
Belated thanks for doing this. I've updated it now to include links to the original posts for each version.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
cnbcad
cnbcad began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad Irex
why can't these be written into one? wouldn't that be much more convenient and sensible?
cnbcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
daudi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbcad View Post
why can't these be written into one? wouldn't that be much more convenient and sensible?
The response you'd get from a mailing list for some other open source software I use a lot would be something like "Sure, it would be great, and we look forward to receiving your patches", i.e. someone's got to do it. Each of these variants has been provided by someone who had an itch to scratch, but it needs someone who needs all of these features and is able to code in C++ and has the time to do it. It is possible that some of the changes conflict with each other so it is possibly not just a matter of applying all of the patches one after another. But I don't know C++ so I can't say for sure. If you do know C++ perhaps you could review the source code diffs and see if they are likely to merge nicely.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:51 PM   #6
akiburis
Connoisseur
akiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, iLiad Book Edition
I just got the iLiad Book Edition. Almost the first thing I wanted to do was to install the fullscreen ipdf. The 12.2.1 installer bundle is exactly what I needed--great that it was here. Thanks so much!
akiburis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:13 AM   #7
salbeik
salbeik began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Hi

When I want to Draw I am not moving the pen as fast as when I am writing. Even when I am moving the pen (slowly) it still thinks that I am holding it still and erases the line, which is very annoying.

Try to move the pen slowly over the screen - sometimes it even makes a dashed line. It does not do this with the ipdf from iRex.

Using the 2.21.1 version on a iRex iLiad Book edition
salbeik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
daudi
Addict

I've updated the installers to include rincewind's gestures version and gmt's 'for editing' version. Note that I have not done the Book Edition (2.12.1) versions yet, but should do soon.

The tool for showing which version is currently installed is now a little more intelligent and tells you which version is installed rather than making you compare file sizes.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #9
daudi
Addict

I've now updated the installers for 2.12.1
Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 AM   #10
Dabon
Connoisseur
Dabon doesn't litterDabon doesn't litter

Device: iliad V2; ipad 2-64GB,3G
THANK YOU DAUDI!!!

Hi Daudi,

Thanks a million for all your hard work compiling these softwares.
I am not going to complain..I promise...
I have a technical question for you. I had previously installed the third party ipdf 2.12 (iliad version 2) from this forum, so far it is working great and I have full screen as well as column wise (that I don't know how to used properly...). I was wondering if the installer package that you are offering today will automatically overwrite the already installed ipdf 2.12, or I will have to do additional manual removal...
I was also wondering in what order should I install the different softwares included in this package (a couple of them have the fullscreen mode incorporated...could that be a problem???)
I really don't want to mess up what I have which is already working great, so I will really appreciate your time to give me some step by step instructions...
Thanks again a bunch for all your great contributions on this forum...I am enjoying my iliad so much because of you guys....I just can't leave without it anymore...
D.
Dabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #11
daudi
Addict

Hi Dabon,

Thanks for the appreciation, but the real work was done by those who created each of these community versions.

These installers are actually very simple. All they do is copy a community version of ipdf over the default iRex version. This means that you cannot have multiple versions installed at the same time. All this set of installers does is make it easier to switch between the different versions, by copying across the version you have chosen. The links at the top of the thread show the original posts from which the versions have come.

There should be no harm at all in switching between each version depending on your needs. One difference you might see is that gmt's "for editing" version is based on slightly older ipdf code and does not have the forward and back buttons (it might also be missing some other features as well, but I have not noticed).
Old 05-30-2008, 03:20 AM   #12
cnbcad
cnbcad began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad Irex
Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
The response you'd get from a mailing list for some other open source software I use a lot would be something like "Sure, it would be great, and we look forward to receiving your patches", i.e. someone's got to do it. Each of these variants has been provided by someone who had an itch to scratch, but it needs someone who needs all of these features and is able to code in C++ and has the time to do it. It is possible that some of the changes conflict with each other so it is possibly not just a matter of applying all of the patches one after another. But I don't know C++ so I can't say for sure. If you do know C++ perhaps you could review the source code diffs and see if they are likely to merge nicely.
Yes, I realize that. My suggestion was not original however. There have been threads that suggested this was in the works some time ago. I just wondered the status; perhaps I should have said so, but it's kind of rude for a freeloader to ask 'hey where's that work you posted about.'

No C++ sorry to say. Did Cobal Fortran some Assembly. Learned Pascal, Asa ect. Haven't done any for quite a while; disabled now and tends to interfere with mental processes. Can't do lots of stuff I used to.
cnbcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 AM   #13
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
i don't know who designed the auto-eraser function (thanks a million for that?),
but i've noticed the 'eraser' function of the pen doesn't work very well, or at least the screen doesn't update in about 50% of the cases, when i'm working in the top or bottom 2-3cm of the screen.
it's generally after flipping a page that this starts (it works fairly reliably when you first open a file, and also works most of the time after you display and hide the menu buttons bar), but it's somewhat annoying (i'm working in zoomed-in fullscreen mode in the bookmarks iPDF version)
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:10 AM   #14
engunneer
engunneer began at the beginning.

Device: iRex Iliad
Hi, I've installed your package to my CF card (/newspapers/Programs/iPDF Chooser/), but am having some trouble. I can see all your install icons, but they don't seem to work for me. the screen flashes, then nothing happens (even for the ipdf detection script). If I load up mrxvt, I can cd over to the right folder (editing, for example), and run ./install_ipdf.sh. This works, but is somewhat tedious. Any hints on what I am doing wrong? I'm running 2.12 on a V1 iLiad.

Thanks for all the great work!

Edit: On a whim, I tried renaming the folder to have no spaces. All is well.

Last edited by engunneer; 06-10-2008 at 01:13 AM.
engunneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #15
kran
kran began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Hi,

Has somebody tried to make a search engine ? I would be great !!!
kran is offline   Reply With Quote