Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
New to Nook, couple questions

Hello everyone. I've been a Kobo customer for about six months or so but its many glitches and problems became too much for me, and I bought a refurbished Nook STR this week. I am very glad to see I can simply copy my Kobo books over, so I don't have to lose those. However, I have a couple questions that I can't figure out.

Is there any way to justify text on the Nook? The Kobo can do this now, as of a few weeks ago, and one thing that really bothered me about the original Kobo was its ugly formatted text with double-spacing in between lines, and the jagged right margins. Well now I've got some books on my Nook with jagged right margins and I can't figure out how to change them so all the type is justified.

And for the life of me I can't figure out how to delete a book from the device. I downloaded a free preview that won't open (an error message pops up), and I want to delete it and download again but I'm not sure how without using Calibre.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, also, is there any way to display the cover of the book I'm reading when in sleep mode? I really like that about the Kobo.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Is there any way to justify text on the Nook?
Tap on the screen when you're in the book, press 'Text' and edit accordingly.

Quote:
And for the life of me I can't figure out how to delete a book from the device. I downloaded a free preview that won't open (an error message pops up), and I want to delete it and download again but I'm not sure how without using Calibre.
Not possible to delete ebooks directly, unfortunately.

Quote:
Oh, also, is there any way to display the cover of the book I'm reading when in sleep mode? I really like that about the Kobo.
I believe there is a hack somewhere in the forum... HERE.

Hope this helps.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvyan View Post
Tap on the screen when you're in the book, press 'Text' and edit accordingly..
Hm. Perhaps text justification is only available on official Nook books? I'm still reading my side-loaded Kobo books on it right now, haven't purchased anything off B&N yet. One of the books has justified text, but the other one has jagged right margins.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Hm. Perhaps text justification is only available on official Nook books? I'm still reading my side-loaded Kobo books on it right now, haven't purchased anything off B&N yet. One of the books has justified text, but the other one has jagged right margins.
What if you turn the publishers default on? I never pay attention to that too much unless it is somthing that is really bugging me.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
What if you turn the publishers default on? I never pay attention to that too much unless it is somthing that is really bugging me.
Yeah, either way the text is jagged. Now I guess it doesn't matter, because it was a short book and I just finished it, but in case I get any more books with jagged right margins I would like to know if it's possible to change it on the device.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Oops, may have just given you the wrong information. I just played around on my own Nook for both sideloaded and B&N books, no option for justification. I thought it was possible but apparently not. :\

Usually I'm not too bothered by the format unless it is really glaring (i.e. single word in a new line).
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I am at work and don't have my Nook with me right now, but I'm pretty sure you can modify the alignment. I seem to remember having played around with it when I first got my STR.

And it's not limited to NOOKbooks, either. Virtually none of my ebooks are from B&N, but I can still align them.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I am at work and don't have my Nook with me right now, but I'm pretty sure you can modify the alignment. I seem to remember having played around with it when I first got my STR.
Line-spacing, yes; margins, yes; justification, not that I see...
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Line-spacing, yes; margins, yes; justification, not that I see...
Hmmm... turns out you're right. I thought I remembered playing with the justification settings, but I guess I was misremembering. It must have been line spacing. No way to adjust text alignment on-device. Disappointing, that.

So I guess the only way is to choose the appropriate alignment in Calibre pre-conversion.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
Hmmm... turns out you're right. I thought I remembered playing with the justification settings, but I guess I was misremembering. It must have been line spacing. No way to adjust text alignment on-device. Disappointing, that.
Depending on the book, it's possible that turning "Publisher Defaults" on and off might've turned justification off/on, I think. But that's about all I can think of.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
tecweston
Comic book artist

One thing I really like about the Nook is the way it breaks up words in order to justify the text better. You'll never see a word broken up on the Kobo, and it sometimes makes for text with huge spaces in between words. What I mean is when it looks like this:

Quote:
among them, and I will accompany you to the nearest water-
way
that leads to Helium. Tars Tarkas may be a cruel green
I figured that maybe the dictionary that is pre-installed has the syllables broken up, so the Nook knows where to put the hyphen and move the word into the next line. However, it is breaking up some words that are obviously not in the dictionary. I'm reading the Game of Thrones series right now and it broke "Cersei" up into "Cer-" and "sei." It blows my mind that it figured out exactly where one syllable ends and one begins.