Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
alternative firmware and downloading PRS-950

Is any owner of a 50 model using alternative firmware of some sort, and if so, what are your impressions, recommendations?

I am also wondering: is there any presently available firmware modification that makes it possible to download from sources like Gutenberg directly onto one's device?
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovre View Post
Is any owner of a 50 model using alternative firmware of some sort, and if so, what are your impressions, recommendations?
S, I run all of my systems read: PCs, ereaders, browsers, etc., etc. totally lean and clean. Thus, I avoid virtually all alternative extensions/addons/firmware/etc.

And, thus, my systems, including my Sony ereaders, tend to run smoothly and crisply.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Does mean that you can miss out on genuine, well-tested improvements though... I run all my stuff carefully but, as an example, I've been running PRS+ on a 505 for over a year and its capabilities (for my concerns) are greatly improved and it has been totally stable throughout the entire time - no freezes, lockups, crashes or anything whereas using the 505 in pure Sony mode, I did occasionally get a lockup or freeze and indexing a lot of books (after installing even one book) took an increasing ridiculous amount of time... and I now have PRS+ on 600, 350 and 650 as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
S, I run all of my systems read: PCs, ereaders, browsers, etc., etc. totally lean and clean. Thus, I avoid virtually all alternative extensions/addons/firmware/etc.

And, thus, my systems, including my Sony ereaders, tend to run smoothly and crisply.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
PRS+ 2.0.10alpha allows you to download files, including books.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
sovre
Zealot

HI Kartu,

Thanks for letting me know. I have just installed it and am trying it out now.

One question, regarding folders--can I move my "Books" folder into the first directory which opens upon tapping "folders" to make my books more quickly accessible?

I'm also wondering if this firmware can be used in conjunction with the Sony Reader Library software or Calibre software? Or with this firmware installed would one normally be bypassing third party software and dragging and dropping text files into the folders one creates in one's Reader's directory, so using it more as one would a hard drive?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One question, regarding folders--can I move my "Books" folder into the first directory which opens upon tapping "folders" to make my books more quickly accessible?
In short, yes. First there is a set of built in options what to have as a root folder of internal memory (books, /database/media/books ). Second, if that's not enough, you can reference any folders you want via "favourite folders" feature. Check /database/system/PRSPlus/folders.cfg.sample file. (you have to remove ".sample" and enable "favorite folders" via PRS+ settings menu for this file to work)

Note: everything in PRS+ is case sensitive! "books" is not the same as "Books".

Quote:
I'm also wondering if this firmware can be used in conjunction with the Sony Reader Library software or Calibre software?
It's fully compatible with standard software and hence also with Calibre.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
sovre
Zealot

thanks for the information, katu.

I now understand how to change the root folder, but I not sure about favorite folders. I did enable favorites in the settings; but I don't see a "system" folder in my database folder.

Also, in my experiments, I noticed if I create a new folder category for my books, say, for example, "novels," and move a book into it, when I begin using my eReader again, the book appears as "new" and all bookmark information is lost. Is it advisable not to change a book's folder once you have begun reading it, or is there a way to link the book back to its bookmarks?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #8
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
I now understand how to change the root folder, but I not sure about favorite folders. I did enable favorites in the settings; but I don't see a "system" folder in my database folder.
Simply create it if it is missing.

Quote:
Also, in my experiments, I noticed if I create a new folder category for my books, say, for example, "novels," and move a book into it, when I begin using my eReader again, the book appears as "new" and all bookmark information is lost. Is it advisable not to change a book's folder once you have begun reading it, or is there a way to link the book back to its bookmarks?
Yes. From reader's perspective moving books is the same as deleting old book and putting _new_ book somewhere else.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 AM   #9
sovre
Zealot

Hi Kartu,

Thanks for helping me figure out some of these PRS+ features.

I have created the folders and also the config file for favorite folders.

Now I am wondering how do I make a "favorite folder" to open the main reader directory--the one containing the database and digital editions folders. Is this possible?

Also, is it possible to choose the directory into which files download from the web browser?

Thanks again.

Last edited by sovre; 03-24-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:25 AM   #10
kartu
PRS+ author

Quote:
I am wondering how do I make a "favorite folder" to open the main reader directory--the one containing the database and digital editions folders. Is this possible?
Yes, you can reference any folder and have as many favourite folders as you like. If it doesn't exist, it won't be shown.
Internal memory root is referenced as "/Data".

Quote:
Also, is it possible to choose the directory into which files download from the web browser?
Not in the current version, but planned in the future.