Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If civilization ended.....

Continuing from this thread - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...413#post243413 - I was wondering:

If civilization ended today and mankind had to revert back to oral storytelling, which FICTIONAL stories would you pass down to the young 'uns? Why?

Mine are (in no order except the random order they come to mind):
1. The Simpsons - Because they are as good in the re-telling as they are in the watching. Lots of gesturing and visual aids.

2. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - Because of the play within the play, you know, the part where the feral kids re-enact how their plane crashed, etc.

3. The Lost World - Well, it could always be worse. There could be dinos and Victorian expert archeologists and stuff running around. Sort of makes the whole "end-of-civilization" thing less depressing.
So, what about you guys?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
radioflyertoo
Hog Rider
radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: HTC 7501
I think the EE "DOC" Smith Lensman series - cause it explains all.

bob
radioflyertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioflyertoo View Post
I think the EE "DOC" Smith Lensman series - cause it explains all.

bob
Not familiar. What's it about?
Old 08-29-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
radioflyertoo
Hog Rider
radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: HTC 7501
Early "Pulp" SciFi written from about 1928 to about 1968. It is very junvinile but IMHO contains the semenial roots of much what SciFi was about in the 50and 60's. The guttenburg site has some off copywrite of Smith's material from Amazing stories- essentially shortened versions of what was printed in book form. Unfortunately than are out of print and my Pbooks are shedding pages <sigh>

Bob

pardon my spelling not a strong point.
radioflyertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
In the movie version of HG Wells The Time Machine, at the end the traveler went back to the future to restart civilizarion. He took 4 books from his 1900-1910 library. Which books where never said, which would you take.

My take
Bible.
Farming
mechanical engeneering
medicine

Mark
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Continuing from this thread - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...413#post243413 - I was wondering:

If civilization ended today and mankind had to revert back to oral storytelling, which FICTIONAL stories would you pass down to the young 'uns? Why?

Mine are (in no order except the random order they come to mind):
1. The Simpsons - Because they are as good in the re-telling as they are in the watching. Lots of gesturing and visual aids.

2. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - Because of the play within the play, you know, the part where the feral kids re-enact how their plane crashed, etc.

3. The Lost World - Well, it could always be worse. There could be dinos and Victorian expert archeologists and stuff running around. Sort of makes the whole "end-of-civilization" thing less depressing.
So, what about you guys?
I know that someone somewhere will probably hammer me to death for saying this, but I would probably pass down Bible stories to the young ...

I consider them fictional, so for me they qualify with respect to this thread, but even though I think they are fictional, they still convey many good lessons.

I would also pass down Aesop's Fables for much the same reason, and the collected fairy tales of the brothers Grimm, and Hans Christian Andersen.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The Feynman Lectures
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
The 10 Commandments. Not as a religious dogma, but as a civilized way to live.

The Golden Rule. Because it makes sense.

The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. Because it shows that no matter how glorious your civilization is, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Two things -

First Aesop's fables - Entertainment and moral education all wrapped up in one.

and---

My book on how to make books and how to make paper....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
The Feynman Lectures
Those were fiction??? Who knew??
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Two things -

My book on how to make books and how to make paper....

How would you tell that story?
Old 08-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #12
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Those were fiction??? Who knew??
Ah. Touché. I missed the "fiction" part.

Civilization rebuilding fiction... I'll have to think about that.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
On my way out the door ready to recreate civilization, the four books I would grab would be:

-Fortune Telling by Reading Tea Leaves
-How to Make a Bloody Fortune FAST
-Life - Who Cares?
-Big Bob's Big Book of Booger Jokes
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness