Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
"Application not installed"

So, it seems like maybe a third of the time, when I get a notification of an app needing an upgrade, I will go through the process and then get:

"Application not installed. An existing application package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed."

I could, I suppose, delete the app from my device and rerun the update ... except I don't know where to find the update file.

Any 'best practices' suggestions on updating apps?

-----Paul-----
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Just re-download it. That shouldn't be an issue though... Using the Amazon Appstore?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
pwright2
Connoisseur

Valid question since I do have the 1 Mobile Market and the PandaApps. But, yeah, the last one to fail was EZ Network Scanner, which is an Amazon App Store app.

Is there a way to force 'Scan for Updates' so I can see which apps have not yet been updated? Notifications seem to show up randomly.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
pwright2
Connoisseur

Continuing to have difficulties with upgrades.

I get a notification that one or several programs need to be upgraded. When I tell it to install, it says that it would be replacing an existing program, which I knew.

And then it says:
"Application not installed"
"An existing application package by the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed."

This is not the first time or the first program on which this has happened. I have tried, when receiving the 'replace' notice, deleting the program first. When I do that, the update is no longer available. And after having the upgrade installation fail, there is no trace of the upgrade program.

Any ideas?

-----Paul-----
Old 01-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Your issue is that you have too many stores, and they all have different versions of apps, with different bits of security tied to them. Something that you get in one store isn't going to update the version you get in another store, even if they're free apps. But they're still going to bug you about there being an update.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
I have this issue as well. I also have Amazon app store, 1Mobile, AndroidPIT, etc.

You would need to somehow track which stores you used to install the app to know which update to use or not use, which is very cumbersome.

You can scan the apps on your Kindle Fire that need updats for the Amazon store by doing:
Apps / Store / Menu Button on bottom middle / App Updates

The other sites have their own ways to check for updates.

As most here know Amazon does NOT ususally have the latest version of apps and take longer to get and approve the app updates from developers. You have to decide which site to use.

For me if I actually paid for an APP on Amazon, I will use the Amazon site to update it even if its not the latest.

Since I have an Android phone and DO have access to the GooglePlay App Store, if there is an app I want to sideload to my Fire, I will get it from the Google Site and then transfer the .APK file from my Android phone using BOX and then sideload it to the Fire to then install it.

One way to know which apps are NOT from the Amazon store would be to go:
Gear Icon in top right corner / Applications / Select Third Party Apps from the pull down menu

those would be the ones you got from non Amazon sites and sideloaded to your device
You could then write those down and keep track of those to know if you wanted to use Amazon or not to update them

I would say best method would be to keep track of of vital/critical few 10-20 apps that you really care about and know where they came from.

Last edited by salsaguy; 01-23-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added info
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
delete post
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's not all that hard to keep track between a couple of stores. If it's not listed under "My Apps" when I log into my Amazon account, then I know it's a Google Play app.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
pwright2
Connoisseur

Yeah, got a reply from AndroXplorer explaining what you said above. Problem is that I got at least some of the apps from Amazon, so they are valid Amazon apps. The updates, however, are from like 1Mobile. Sometimes they work. Only way to know is to try them but only way to keep track is to make notes. They appear to leave no trace, whether successful or not.

Thanks for the explanations.

-----Paul-----

Tags
apps, update