Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Kindle users have a right to use the libraries we pay taxes for too. If that results in longer lines for other users, then there are longer lines.
You knew (or soon after) going in that Kindles were not compatible with library eBooks. You could have bought a compatible reader instead. Don't say it is your right to have access to library eBook on your Kindle. If I had bought a Kindle, then that's my choice and the fact that library eBooks would not have worked back then would be my issue to deal with.

It's like buying a DVD player and when you go to plug it into your stereo, you find the digital output is not compatible because the player only has optical out and you need and RCA type jack. You cannot blame the stereo make for what is user error.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #17
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You knew (or soon after) going in that Kindles were not compatible with library eBooks. You could have bought a compatible reader instead.
Yes I did, and I was fine with that. No complaints about not borrowing library books from me.

Quote:
Don't say it is your right to have access to library eBook on your Kindle. If I had bought a Kindle, then that's my choice and the fact that library eBooks would not have worked back then would be my issue to deal with.
The hell it isn't my right to access my library's services as I damn well see fit. It's not like I'm protesting at the library demanding that they offer ebooks in a format that pleases me. But if they are, then I'm going to use the service and not feel bad about it just because other people have to wait longer.

What I was getting at is the constant implication that Kindle users shouldn't be able to borrow ebooks from the library because it will make longer waiting lines. It's my right to borrow books if I want to, if it means you have to wait longer, then suck it up and wait.

Quote:
It's like buying a DVD player and when you go to plug it into your stereo, you find the digital output is not compatible because the player only has optical out and you need and RCA type jack. You cannot blame the stereo make for what is user error.
It's not anything remotely like that at all.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Really gang, by now we should all know to ignore JSWolf's Kindle posts.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The hell it isn't my right to access my library's services as I damn well see fit. It's not like I'm protesting at the library demanding that they offer ebooks in a format that pleases me. But if they are, then I'm going to use the service and not feel bad about it just because other people have to wait longer.

What I was getting at is the constant implication that Kindle users shouldn't be able to borrow ebooks from the library because it will make longer waiting lines. It's my right to borrow books if I want to, if it means you have to wait longer, then suck it up and wait.
Kindle user will someday be able to borrow library eBooks and yes, it will make the wait times longer. You have been able to borrow library eBooks all along. It's just that you've not been able to read them using your Kindle.

So if it is your right to borrow library eBooks because you pay your taxes, why did you not get a compatible reader? It's also your right to get an incompatible reader too which you did.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Kindle user will someday be able to borrow library eBooks and yes, it will make the wait times longer. You have been able to borrow library eBooks all along. It's just that you've not been able to read them using your Kindle.

So if it is your right to borrow library eBooks because you pay your taxes, why did you not get a compatible reader? It's also your right to get an incompatible reader too which you did.
Christ ....

When the library offers Kindle compatible ebooks I'll be happy to use the services, which is my right as a tax payer. If me using the library makes the wait times longer, then that's just too bad.

I never claimed that I could use library books on my Kindle right now. My complaint is directed toward all the people complaining that Kindle users are going to increase wait time, and the implication that Overdrive shouldn't implement Kindle support.

Is that clear enough?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
If me using the library makes the wait times longer, then that's just too bad.
It's no big deal, because libraries can easily adjust to increased wait times by shortening loan periods to a week for popular titles.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #22
BenjaminJames
Enthusiast
BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony 505 (2nd one), had a Cool-er but broke it, Dell Streak
Quote:
You knew (or soon after) going in that Kindles were not compatible with library eBooks. You could have bought a compatible reader instead. Don't say it is your right to have access to library eBook on your Kindle. If I had bought a Kindle, then that's my choice and the fact that library eBooks would not have worked back then would be my issue to deal with.

guy you need to pull your head out of your ***, just because the library didn't offer the service they required does not mean that now that it does they cannot take advantage of it!!!!!!!!!!!. just for your info i have never owned a kindle as i hate them!!!, its sony e-reader or android for me all the way
BenjaminJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Really gang, by now we should all know to ignore JSWolf's Kindle posts.
Ignore User is your friend...
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Ignore User is your friend...
A very sound suggestion.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #25
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:

whoah there. I wasn't saying anything like "kindle users should not be allowed". I was only saying lines would be longer so just because a kindle enables you to borrow books now doesn't mean you will be able too. doubling or tripling the users for a finite resource means it will be harder for everyone , even the kindle owners, to borrow.

in fact maybe thats what they want... people get frustrated waiting for new things to be available at the library, so they go buy a copy...
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #26
carld
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
whoah there. I wasn't saying anything like "kindle users should not be allowed". I was only saying lines would be longer so just because a kindle enables you to borrow books now doesn't mean you will be able too. doubling or tripling the users for a finite resource means it will be harder for everyone , even the kindle owners, to borrow.
That wasn't actually directed at you. I read your clarification, and assumed I misunderstood your earlier post. However, there have been lots of posts by other people in other threads (we've been going around and around about this for a while now) that basically say that Overdrive shouldn't implement Kindle support because it'll result in longer waits for books. They're the ones I was referring to.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #27
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

gotcha, I actually hadnt seen the other discussions. i should probably read through more kindle threads.

but I agree with you. its wrong to say they shouldnt implement it. but any Kindle owner who thinks it will be easy for them to get library books should think again. or get on the library board and convince them to push funds toward ebooks and to less p-books
Old 05-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #28
Dulin's Books
Wizard

ohhhh. this just dawned on me.... Does this mean that overdrive licensed the use of Kindle's drm? I wonder then if that means that Amazon gets a cut of every kindle edition "sold" to a library for lending
Old 05-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #29
carld
Wizard

Speculation is that Amazon has agreed to fulfill the checkout requests from Overdrive. I'm assuming you're correct that the books, being Kindle compatible, will have to be bought from Amazon originally. I'm also assuming that's why they've agreed to assume the costs of fulfilling orders.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #30
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
ohhhh. this just dawned on me.... Does this mean that overdrive licensed the use of Kindle's drm? I wonder then if that means that Amazon gets a cut of every kindle edition "sold" to a library for lending
There are no Kindle editions being 'sold' for lending. It's been stated various places by both Amazon and Overdrive that libraries won't have to buy books separately for Kindle. Whether Amazon gets a so many cents DRM fee for each checkout, like Adobe does, I have no idea.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote