Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Amazon Buys iPhone E-Reader App Maker

http://www.internetnews.com/mobility...+App+Maker.htm

Amazon Buys iPhone E-Reader App Maker
In a bid to extend e-reader reach beyond Kindle, the mega-etailer scoops up firm behind the most popular eBook reader application for Apple's iPhone.

Amazon now controls the two top e-book applications for the Apple iPhone, following its acquisition of Stanza developer Lexcycle -- a move that extends the e-tailing giant's reach in the e-reader market beyond its own Kindle.

Lexcycle's free Stanza app for Apple's (NASDAQ: AAPL) iPhone and iPod touch claims more than 1 million downloads. The app provides access to a catalog of about 100,000 e-books in the open ePub format, which isn't supported by Amazon's (NASDAQ: AMZN) digital reader device, the Kindle.

"It's very early days for e-books and we believe there is a lot of innovation ahead of us," an Amazon spokesperson told InternetNews.com. "Lexcycle is a smart, innovative company and we look forward to working with them to innovate on behalf of readers. Lexcycle will maintain its business model while continuing to innovate as new opportunities arise."

She declined to comment on financial terms of the deal.

Any ideas what price Amazon paid for it?

Last edited by Kris777; 05-21-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Can anybody look up the word 'monopoly' on their Kindle dictionary and tell me if it takes you to the Amazon.com storefornt.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Old news. There's already a thread here. For a moment there, I thought Amazon bought eReader, too, which is FictionWise's (now owned by Barnes & Noble).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
kamm
Zealot
kamm doesn't litterkamm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Can anybody look up the word 'monopoly' on their Kindle dictionary and tell me if it takes you to the Amazon.com storefornt.
I'm usually very jumpy when it comes to monopoly-issues or any kind of market abuse but don't know here... It's their product, they have plenty of competitors including this giant called Sony and Amazon hardly even close to taking over the ebook market - I think it's more than logical they want to secure multiple channel for their products, the ebooks (no, Kindle is just a delivery platform, a device for consumption, on the long run their real bread-n-butter is the software here.)
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
and I think to myself how someone can read a book on an iphone
SalvaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvaG View Post
Easy. Like everything different, it just takes getting used to.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Well, I used to read on my Sony Ericsson T68i so the iPhone's actually a step up.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvaG View Post
Actually I have no problem doing it. Some people just have oversensitive eyes. I just turn down the brightness and it doesn't bother me at all.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote