Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #16
gecko
Edge User

This one is not good -

I closed the machine up, leaving it on, so naturally it went to sleep. Opened it a while later, and there's a nice message on the e-reader side, "The eNToURaGe eDgE is hibernating. Press the Menu button to wake it up."

What it doesn't say is that after you press the menu button, you can then proceed to press all the other buttons, both short and long presses, including the power button, and then dance around the machine 3 times burning a magic candle, and you can sacrifice a chicken if you like - all these have the same effect, which is nothing. The thing won't wake up, and I can't power it down (without yanking the battery).

Old 03-31-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
glen
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
This one is not good -

I closed the machine up, leaving it on, so naturally it went to sleep. Opened it a while later, and there's a nice message on the e-reader side, "The eNToURaGe eDgE is hibernating. Press the Menu button to wake it up."

What it doesn't say is that after you press the menu button, you can then proceed to press all the other buttons, both short and long presses, including the power button, and then dance around the machine 3 times burning a magic candle, and you can sacrifice a chicken if you like - all these have the same effect, which is nothing. The thing won't wake up, and I can't power it down (without yanking the battery).
I just checked this, and I didn't have a problem.

But then again, I used a goat instead of a chicken.

Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #18
Careermama
Edge User

When the return butten fails... if you shut the keyboard and reopen it...it works right. Keyboard overall is working better and keeping up better. The supersite for my Spanish class now works partly. It didn't work at all before. I had no problembringing the machine back from sleep/closed.

Last edited by Careermama; 04-01-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 AM   #19
gecko
Edge User

Tried all the above except the goat (and sacrified chickens do appear from time to time in some local cemetaries, especially those adjoining Carribean neighborhoods. Goats are much rarer). Also tried plugging in an external keyboard, but of course there's no power going into that. It's not pingable or anything, of course, because it's asleep, as I hope to be shortly.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #20
robertbr
Edge User

I have been waiting for landscape reading for months and now what I see I do not like: you need to use the stylus to go trough the page and when you go to the next page it is going to the bottom of the next page so I have to use the stylus to go up. If this behavior is the default than it is crap. PLEASE HELP!!!

Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 01:07 AM   #21
Glow
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Android apps install to the main memory by default. If apps to SD is working on the edge do this - go to settings, applications, manage apps and tap on an app listing. When it opens you should see several options clear cache, clear data uninstall and most importantly move to SD.
Some of the apps show the Move to SD option, but when selected it says 'Failed to Move Application'. I wonder if some trick is needed?

Also, I tried installing Flash 10.2, and no dice, would not install.

I haven't tried everything out yet. But the update itself was smooth, and I am very impressed that all my apps and settings are intact! Plus, it is speedier!

Thanks, enTourage!!

Old 04-01-2011, 01:16 AM   #22
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow View Post
Some of the apps show the Move to SD option, but when selected it says 'Failed to Move Application'. I wonder if some trick is needed?
I was afraid that would be the case, the edge has intsd and extsd where an Android phone or tablet has phone and SD card as the storage.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #23
BobClarke
Edge User

Tab now works on External Keyboard
Landscape on Reader side cuts both images and text. Annoying but technical materials will be much more readable than with portrait alone. Switching pages appears to take you to the same place. It would be better to reset to the top of the next page. Not perfect but better

Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #24
kksh
Edge User

We heard some good and no so good experiences after installed the Ermine built, how could it be related to the machine itself, as heard in early stage, Froyo built facing difficulities in large screen. As thought, would it be better of thie beta in PE , as compare to the performance in EE ?

For those who installed and run the beta and advised his/her experiences, would you also share EE or PE is used ?

thanks!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #25
Qwill
Edge User

Ermine on PE

Hi All, Thanks for snow and Entourage for the so-long-waited release of Ermine.
I just upgraded my pocket Edge this morning, and have an overall great experience:
* Now 5 screens are available , that's more space for shorttcuts and widgets.
* email, browser, calendar ... all seems to be stable .
* Reader is ok too. I love the fact to be able to switch fonts. THe Rotating feature is really awsome. It does not allow to comment directly on the e-ink side, but still allow to highlight and take notes on the lcd side ... Now an external keyboard is worth it !

* Within the calendar app, there was a setting allowing to *SYNC* a calendar. .. I did not went further, but it would rock ! I was able to edit an event with Jorte using the google calendar ( which I couldn't before.)

* I still have to check on the bluetooth side, wether it is now possible to connect to an usb keyboard.

So far so good. The upgrade seems 99.9% stable (in a hour time of experimentation ...) and it brings nice features on.

Qwill.
--

*To date, only 1 app closed immediately : google maps.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #26
fgruber
Edge User

how do you highlight and annotate on the LCD side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwill View Post
Hi All, Thanks for snow and Entourage for the so-long-waited release of Ermine.

* Reader is ok too. I love the fact to be able to switch fonts. THe Rotating feature is really awsome. It does not allow to comment directly on the e-ink side, but still allow to highlight and take notes on the lcd side ... Now an external keyboard is worth it !

* Within the calendar app, there was a setting allowing to *SYNC* a calendar. .. I did not went further, but it would rock ! I was able to edit an event with Jorte using the google calendar ( which I couldn't before.)

* I still have to check on the bluetooth side, wether it is now possible to connect to an usb keyboard.

So far so good. The upgrade seems 99.9% stable (in a hour time of experimentation ...) and it brings nice features on.

Qwill.
--

*To date, only 1 app closed immediately : google maps.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 AM   #27
diogenes
Edge User

I'm using the big old EE, and Ermine keeps stable. Eve with its quirks, I like it more than Dingo. It has almost the same stability, it's faster, and in spite of having plenty of room for improvements, there is little or nothing that works worse than before.

Not working:
-The Apps to SD card feature. (Although I have my library on the internal SD, so maybe those who have moved it to the external SD can also move their apps)
-The calendar sync, at least for me.
-The browser closing randomly (very very rare) without warning.
-Some apps not installing (those are apps that didn't work in Dingo, anyway)

Could be improved:
-The behavior of the arrow button when in landscape mode. It should move to the next part of the page; or at least, it should move always to the top of the next page.
-Annotation in landscape is not a must, but it would be nice.

In any case, I wouldn't call the landscape mode a "crap" as I've read; and while Ermine is clearly a beta, it doesn't mean that is worse than Dingo. And in any case, Entourage has released updates that weren't that polished neither. I've not found e-ink problems such as the ones present in Dingo 1.10.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #28
lobotom1
Edge User

I have a Big Edge and happy with the Ermine Update. The overall behaviour of the Edge is the same except the Browser disapear sometimes. I must say that playing videos seems to show a better quality than on Dingo.

I appreciate the Landscape mode on the e-ink but not the scrolling methods using the stylus only.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #29
Adiposius Maximus
Edge User

In landscape mode on the eink side, if you don't like having to scroll, you can select "Fit to Page" from the View menu, it zooms the document to the largest size possible while fitting entirely on the screen.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #30
glen
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kksh View Post
We heard some good and no so good experiences after installed the Ermine built, how could it be related to the machine itself, as heard in early stage, Froyo built facing difficulities in large screen. As thought, would it be better of thie beta in PE , as compare to the performance in EE ?

For those who installed and run the beta and advised his/her experiences, would you also share EE or PE is used ?

thanks!
I updated my first post with this info, plus a couple other things.