Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Reading PDF's on the K3

I had a pdf novel that didn't convert well to .mobi. Heck, it could hardly be read.

So I tried dragging the file to the K3. The type was minuscule, and enlarging wasn't an option with reading tiny parts at a time. It was awful!

HOWEVER AFTER READING THE MANUAL (chapter 3.7)......I put it in landscape mode and the reading is perfect! Cover pic is clear and sharp, text fills the screen and is very easy to read, even for my eyes.

I am PLEASED with the way the K3 reads pdf novels, but I haven't tried this on one with tables, charts, etc.

Maybe someone else could?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
aquawater
Enthusiast
aquawater began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Would you be kind enough enough to load this PDF and upload some screenshot?
Thanks in advance.

Manning - jQuery in Action, Second Edition -> http://www.manning.com/bibeault2/
aquawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquawater View Post
Would you be kind enough enough to load this PDF and upload some screenshot?
Thanks in advance.

Manning - jQuery in Action, Second Edition -> http://www.manning.com/bibeault2/
Okay, not such a good experience.

I'll try to take pics and upload but let me tell you how I saw it.

Text is smaller, but still readable. If you have good eyes, but it is larger than in portrait mode. It can take up to three page turns to read one page (page numbers are there) Some pages have the top lines cut in half horizontally.......you can only see the bottom half of the print.

Tables are there and clear.

I'll try to get this uploaded to SIL's DX and see if that makes a difference.

If I were to need this type of pdf file I wouldn't get the smaller screen.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Okay Listen up

Ran two doors over to my SIL's....he has a DX. Sent him the sample file to load onto his unit.

What a difference! Each page is shown in full, no cut offs, tables, every show beautifully.

If this is the kind of pdf's you are looking to read........don't get the K3. If you've already ordered it, you have 30 days to return for the DX.

My novels, on the other hand, seem to work beautifully.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
aquawater
Enthusiast

Kindle DX has large screen. And undoubtedly able to show the PDF in full. I imagine it would be same for iPad, since both has almost the same size. And price-wise, I would prefer iPad - which is multi-purpose device.

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_com...indle-3-Screen

What make me curious now is the visibility in Kindle 3. I really wish for a screen shot. As you all know, picture speaks for itself....
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
BIG45-70
BIG45-70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I tired dragging some PDFs into my documents folder on my K3 but they didn't show up in my main menu, what folder do I have to drag the PDFs are they visible somewhere else on my K3?
BIG45-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
aquawater
Enthusiast

Any help on screen shot ?

As comparison, here is what I see in my iPhone for the same PDF above.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

[QUOTE=aquawater;1115435]

What make me curious now is the visibility in Kindle 3. I really wish for a screen shot. As you all know, picture speaks for itself..../QUOTE]

Fine. I"m in way over my head here.......I read novels, and if they are in pdf I don't care as long as I can reriad them

"screen shots".....how the fark do you get one from the k3 to here?

So I just took some pictures and realize one thing.......any blurriness you see is from my camera. The type is crisp and clear as are the tables and charts. What I'm trying to show is the division of the pages........and altho it looks like the type is cut off from the first author page, the sentence is repeated in the second, so there is no elimination of words.
Just a pain in the pa-toot lots of scrolling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf 001.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	58346   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf 005.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	58347   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf 006.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	58348   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf 010.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	58349   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf 009.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	58350  
Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
aquawater
Enthusiast

Thanks, grandma..
One more shot please... can you shoot that page 7 in portrait mode ?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
I think ALT+Shift+G will take a screenshot.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Okay....in portrait mode the entire page is shown, but type is small. Clicking on the pics will show clarity better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf 016.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	590.4 KB
ID:	58352   Click image for larger version

Name:	pdf 013.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	605.3 KB
ID:	58354  
Old 09-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana495 View Post
I think ALT+Shift+G will take a screenshot.
Thanks, Diana. I know I sound way ignorant......I can take screen shots of someone on line, (thanks Leep!) but how do I do that with something on the K3?
Old 09-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Alt-Shift-G is for taking screenshots on the Kindle Then you connect to the PC and the file will be in the root directory.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:02 AM   #14
Diana495
Connoisseur
Diana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipseDiana495 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Ipod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Thanks, Diana. I know I sound way ignorant......I can take screen shots of someone on line, (thanks Leep!) but how do I do that with something on the K3?
Sorry for not being clear. ALT+Shift+G should take a screenshot of the Kindle screen and place the image in Kindle's document directory.

ETA: Or what tlrowley said.
Diana495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Alt-Shift-G is for taking screenshots on the Kindle Then you connect to the PC and the file will be in the root directory.
Screenshots are saved to the /documents folder, not the root.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote