Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
New ebook reader -Simplicit.E.reader

One of MR's more observant members noticed that JCPenney is selling an ebook reader on its website. It's not listed as being in stock, and I spent some time Googling it.

We don't have much detail yet because so far as I can tell this device hasn't been announced yet. I found the company's website, but it's not up yet. I found it in the Google cache.

This is the detail we have so far:
  • 5" backlit color screen
  • Adobe DE support
  • 1GB memory
  • SD card slot
  • discount coupon for BooksonBoard
  • product description says it can "read books, play music and videos"

and it's showing a sale price of $129.99. If that price is for real then I might get one.

P.S. I'm attaching the JCPenney product page just in case it's taken down.

Update:
I believe the company behind the Simplicit is SPI Inc, a small tech company based in Dallas, Texas. It's not completely clear whether this company develops its products independently or re brands the products it licenses.

Second Update: I just heard back from Books on Board. Yes, that is their coupon. They were a little puzzled about why the product page was up. The last they had heard was that the device wasn't ready yet.The release had been pushed back until Spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	simplicit.JPG
Views:	902
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	39711  
Attached Files
File Type: zip ebookreader.zip (259.6 KB, 546 views)

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-22-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Sounds more like a 5" portable media player with ADE support than a dedicated e-reader.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Sounds more like a 5" portable media player with ADE support than a dedicated e-reader.
That's what I was thinking yes.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
They have a website that is under construction http://simplicitereader.com/

google's cash of the site had contact info and mentions SPI, Inc

here is that site http://www.spiinc-tx.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	479
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	39712  
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Well, yeah, but so what? This thing has the same sized screen as a Sony 300, and comes in a smaller package, judging from the picture.

It looks to be about 1/2 inches less in width, and a little more in height.

No way to judge how thick, though. Maybe that's the rub.

And no doubt battery life will be less than a dedicated reader, but these days a battery should last a full day if you don't get sucked off into video.

If the price is for real, I can imagine buying one. Particularly since it looks like the pivot man in the "open ebook" universe might be Adobe.

The interesting thing to me is that this involves a mass retailer not normally thought of as a seller of electronics, whose customers are not normally considered as potential ebook customers, selling an ebook capable device at a teenager sized price. It's damn near being a stocking stuffer.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
They have a website that is under construction http://simplicitereader.com/

google's cash of the site had contact info and mentions SPI, Inc

here is that site http://www.spiinc-tx.com/
Thanks, but I already linked to that page.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
oh ha i misread that as you saying something about JC Penney's site cached so I went digging. That's what I get for skimming
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I did a "skew correction" of that angled image to straighten it out-- the display aspect is right around 3:5 (the 5 inch e-ink readers are 3:4.) Unless I'm screwing up my basic high school math (disclaimer: I may be screwing up my basic high school math) this gives the unit a screen size of around 2.57 x 4.28 inches vs. 3 x 4 inches on e-ink displays.

ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
It may be those those of us here take Books on Board for granted. But considering their Buy 10 Get 5 Free deals with Astak and now JC Penney, it appears that Books on Board wants to be a major player in the public's mind as far as online eBook retailers go.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:28 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Is it just me or does that baby really look a little bit fat? Wonder about the weight.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:31 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It appears to have a 16:9 aspect ratio screen (for video use, presumably), which is not ideal for books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:34 AM   #12
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I still like the ADE support (if true). It looks, in essence, like the bigger iPhone some of us were craving. Now all depends on the ergonomy and the hardware specs!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
True. I wonder what the battery life is?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:38 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It appears to have a 16:9 aspect ratio screen (for video use, presumably), which is not ideal for books.
It also only has one screen, which is not ideal for books.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:38 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I still like the ADE support (if true). It looks, in essence, like the bigger iPhone some of us were craving. Now all depends on the ergonomy and the hardware specs!
And software specs...

It really looks nice, but the software is as important to me as the hardware...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote