Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #16
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklynds View Post
I don't know that the console shopping is necessary all that bad.

It's no different than the kindle. With the Kindle you are locked in to one ebook seller.
It's not an issue of being locked into one seller, it's an issue of how one accesses that seller. Sony owners shopping in the Sony store *MUST* use the software supplied by Sony. Kindle owners shopping in the Amazon store can use their regular web browsers and if they wish (and are in range of the network) can purchase directly from the reader.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #17
bsandersen
Nerd
bsandersen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300,505, Kindle 2, iPad
I've been booting parallels to run Sony's goofy software on my MacBook Pro. It will be interesting to see if I can migrate the digital content I've purchased from my "PC" side to the native Macintosh platform without loss. Yes, it should work, but "should" and "does" are two different words for a purpose.

I'd stopped recommending the PRS-505 to my Mac-using friends because of this problem. We'll see if their efforts are sufficient to cause me to reverse that position. I wonder how many sales they've lost to Kindle because of this? After all, the Kindle/computer interface just appears as the world's most expensive thumb drive. Simple and effective. Perhaps the next generation of Sony reader will be as slick. (While I'm at it, how about Bluetooth connnectivity, WiFi, and better pricing in the Sony store? Now I'm really dreaming!)
bsandersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsandersen View Post
After all, the Kindle/computer interface just appears as the world's most expensive thumb drive. Simple and effective.
First, the Sony 505/700 also mount as a mass storage device on the Mac just as the Kindle does. So, if you aren't buying from the Sony store it works the same when hooked to your Mac.

Second, the Kindle is by no means the "world's most expensive". See http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/03/w...sb-thumbdrive/

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #19
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
First, the Sony 505/700 also mount as a mass storage device on the Mac just as the Kindle does. So, if you aren't buying from the Sony store it works the same when hooked to your Mac.

Second, the Kindle is by no means the "world's most expensive". See http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/03/w...sb-thumbdrive/

BOb
Baller
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #20
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My wife will like having a Mac version for her MacBook as she really doesn't get the whole "You got start Windows in Parallels to buy books" thing. So hurry Sony, we can't wait!
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #21
troutqueen
troutqueen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
About time. Although to be honest, I found all my workarounds, and very, very rarely buy from the Sony ebookstore except freebies and cheapies. OTOH, having coached some people through getting their Sony reader to work on their Macs, this will at least cut out a number of steps!
troutqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 AM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleMan View Post
My wife will like having a Mac version for her MacBook as she really doesn't get the whole "You got start Windows in Parallels to buy books" thing. So hurry Sony, we can't wait!
Why not just use Coherence mode (is that was parallels calls it) and put the Sony ebook library right on the Dock. She will never know a VM is involved.

BOb
Old 07-08-2009, 02:41 AM   #23
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
I think most users of macs have found away around this already , but for those who are less tech skilled it will be good .
I am plenty techie enough - but I'd rather spend my technie time doing something other than getting 1s and 0s into my Reader!! This is the best news I've had all week
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:45 AM   #24
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
I've been booting parallels to run Sony's goofy software on my MacBook Pro. It will be interesting to see if I can migrate the digital content I've purchased from my "PC" side to the native Macintosh platform without loss. Yes, it should work, but "should" and "does" are two different words for a purpose.
I download all all my ePubs to the Mac first using ADE. Then I transfer them to the VM (I use Fusion at the moment) and load them into the Sony software. I normally then attempt to remove the DRM, check them in Calibre and if successful transfer the exDRM version into the Sony software, compare and contrast and delete the DRM version if I am happy.

You will have no problem transferring your books to the Mac - but don't wait for the software, test it out using ADE on the Mac now!

regards
amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:43 AM   #25
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Fantastic news! While I've been able to use the Sony Reader software in VMWare, it will be nice to have one less thing I need to fire up the VM for.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #26
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Who wants to bet it won't work with the PRS-500? :/
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #27
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX / Sony PRS-505
Sorry Sony, too little too late. I'm with the Kindle DX now. But we'll always have that summer.
imagitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagitronics View Post
Sorry Sony, too little too late. I'm with the Kindle DX now. But we'll always have that summer.
Would you switch back to Sony if they came out with a larger screen device with real PDF support?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #29
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
I download all all my ePubs to the Mac first using ADE. Then I transfer them to the VM (I use Fusion at the moment) and load them into the Sony software. I normally then attempt to remove the DRM, check them in Calibre and if successful transfer the exDRM version into the Sony software, compare and contrast and delete the DRM version if I am happy.
That's alot of steps. You could do all this on your Mac, minus the Sony software which you don't really need if you use Calibre.

BOb
Old 07-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #30
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
I too hope the new Mac Sony Software is tied in with the ADE for the Mac. If so, I can delete Parallels/Windows completely from my Mac.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mac, software, sony